James Perch

BeloEmre

Consummate pro despite being woeful 75% of the time and more or less anywhere bar DM. You'd imagine binning him off is an attempt to forward a younger part of the squad (Bigi at DM, Tavernier at FB, etc.) closer to the first time.

This move would be absolutely fine in theory, but that theory only holds true if we've intentions to replace any squad players with better options, and I can't say I hold out much hope for that. Young players could step up to some extent, but do we have young options for every position that Perch covered? Do we have a young & versatile option to come off the bench? There are only so many seats available.

This move would be absolutely fine in theory, but that theory only holds true if we've intentions to replace any squad players with better options, and I can't say I hold out much hope for that. Young players could step up to some extent, but do we have young options for every position that Perch covered? Do we have a young & versatile option to come off the bench? There are only so many seats available.

Well we seem to have enough CMs and fullbacks. He was awful at CB, but even there we currently have 4. Like you say though, we could do with a few better squad players.

True, the worry is he's being binned off because they know we'll only have 40-42 games next season. I'd prefer Bigi to play in midfield though regardless and Perch is as woeful in defence as most the alternatives.

Love Perch, and always have. Such a good attitude, and great commitment. Finally seemed to find his best position at DM.

Would love to see him become a first team fixture at Wigan. He deserves it.

Looks like we're going to be signing that Vainquer dude, and along with Bigi also getting some time, we should really have cover at DM.

Good luck Perch.

I do like Perch - especially at CB. But in midfield he's blocking more talented players.

:lol:

Right, if no one agrees with you they're clueless. That's what you told me a week or two ago, and now you've posted this shit? :lol:

@MsiDouglas 6m

Interesting Perch story on http://nufc.com . Know Ashley knocked back Pardew's plea to give him a new contract back in March...

Writing on the wall for him at that point, I think. Real shame: good guy and decent, versatile player. #nufc

---

Douglas suggesting that French lad will replace him to someone else on Twitter.

Well done to the lad for turning around his reputation here after a terrible start. However we need better cover at CB and creativity in midfield. The role typically played by Perch in the middle can be managed by others.

On the assumption that CB cover and another midfielder are coming, this is a positive move.

Good luck to him at his new club.

Love Perch, and always have. Such a good attitude, and great commitment. Finally seemed to find his best position at DM.

Would love to see him become a first team fixture at Wigan. He deserves it.

Looks like we're going to be signing that Vainquer dude, and along with Bigi also getting some time, we should really have cover at DM.

Good luck Perch.

Always have? Like when we were all terrified to see his name on the teamsheet?

Guest neesy111

My issue with Perch is that he is always the easy option to go to when we needed cover at RB, DM etc instead of a younger player as they need game time.

Theoretically exciting news. Were we the sort of club who cleared out older players with a plan in place, this would be something to be excited about.  But we're not.

He isn't good enough at this level, no knock on him as a squad member and apparently a genuinely good person.

As was the case with Guthrie, who wasn't adequately replaced, either. So without evidence to the contrary I can only be wary of a thin squad getting thinner.

I like Perch, would rather he stayed. More often than not does an acceptable job wherever he plays.

Other than an utterly horrendous start for us, I can't say I recall seeing him play and feeling like he was out of place in the team or ever the worst player on the pitch, both this season gone and the 5th place season.

He's by no means the worst, but it's not like it's easy to just sell players in order of how bad they are.

Agreed, but I don't think there's any need to sell him unless he want's regular first team games.

It's odd. Pardew allegedly asked the board to give him a new deal and Kinnear mentioned him in that interview as one of the ones he knew (obviously from his time at Forest), so I wonder why we've decided to get rid.

Only a year left on his deal. We'll take the transfer fee no matter how small over letting him go for nothing.

Guest neesy111

It's odd. Pardew allegedly asked the board to give him a new deal and Kinnear mentioned him in that interview as one of the ones he knew (obviously from his time at Forest), so I wonder why we've decided to get rid.

Only a year left on his deal. We'll take the transfer fee no matter how small over letting him go for nothing.

Like we did with Simpson?

Like we did with Simpson?

No he ran his deal down and left for free. Both were told they could leave, one didn't leave straight away.