Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Apparently Werder's coach has denied any interest in him.

I guess it was the manager (sporting director) who said at a press conference (yesterday) that they don't want to spend the Özil money straight into a new player.

Story now on l'Equipe website: http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2010/20100818_084010_le-werder-chaud-sur-ben-arfa.html

Quote from Dassier: "If Ben Arfa and his advisoers are ok with it, then it's ok with us. We even think he'd be better suited to the German league than the way the game is played in England".

Final decision is to be expected today.

Rest of the article rehashes the France Football article and a bit of summary of the whole saga.

Our club's policy of staying silent is looking better by the day. We should know by now, not to take statements from OM or the French media too seriously.

I don't know about Bremen particularly, but my picture of German clubs is that they have a strong team ethic. That's the quality that Ben Arfa seems to lack, so I doubt if the move would work out well for either party anyway.

I don't know about Bremen particularly, but my picture of German clubs is that they have a strong team ethic. That's the quality that Ben Arfa seems to lack, so I doubt if the move would work out well for either party anyway.

Quite a few people on french football forums think he'd do better in Germany due to the greater level of discipline. Think it's just what he needs to sort his attitude out.

Can quite easily see it going the other way myself.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

2 weeks later...

Ben Arfa was later heard saying: "Ce club allemand est terrible, on me traite si stricte. Ils sont comme un bouquet de Hitler peu ... Je préférerais de beaucoup être à Newcastle, manger des brochettes et de coucher avec leurs femmes percuteur. Ici, dans ce club allemand, leurs femmes sont bien serrés et leurs brochettes sont de la merde." His career in Germany was promptly over before it had begun.

Quite a few people on french football forums think he'd do better in Germany due to the greater level of discipline. Think it's just what he needs to sort his attitude out.

Can quite easily see it going the other way myself.

I can see the logic, but any club or manager has to sell him the idea of being more disciplined. He has to see what he can gain by knuckling down, and I think he needs to forge a good relationship with a manager. They can't just demand discipline from him just because all the other players are going along with it.

I doubt whether it would work anywhere, and we seem to be the only English club that's prepared to take the risk, even on a loan basis. Personally, I'd steer clear, but it does seem that Hughton fancies (or fancied) his chances of making it work. It's interesting that Ben Arfa said that he'd talked with Hughton and felt that they had an understanding.

Excuse the amateur psychology, but this lad needs a father figure. We also have strong senior figures in the dressing room who he probably wouldn't want to get into any bother with, by instinct. So whether or not it's in the club's interests to take on this problem, I can see why it might be in Ben Arfa's.

http://www.maxifoot.fr/football/article-10292.htm

Newcastle has had such sad experience. The Magpies have sent last Tuesday a proposal to leaders Olympians. The British offered a loan fee of 800,000 euros with an option to purchase 5.5 million euros if Ben Arfa was involved in 25 Premier League games. A derisory offer for the French club who would have once again rejected the advances of England.

Derisory offers are brill.

Guest Roger Kint

Strangely that 'derisory' offer would see them get 6.3m euros by January assuming he doesnt get injured. Any other club would be installments, add ons etc over at least 2 years....

Strangely that 'derisory' offer would see them get 6.3m euros by January assuming he doesnt get injured. Any other club would be installments, add ons etc over at least 2 years....

I'd wager we had designs on only playing him at home, thus avoiding the potential cost.

Ashley will tell Chris to use him 25 matches in PL, rest cup games.

Then pay the 3mill eur in the summer :shifty:

Ashley is streetsmart  :rolleyes:

Dave beat me to it.

I'd wager we had designs on only playing him at home, thus avoiding the potential cost.

Sorry Dave I know it is the season to be pessimistic but that has to be bollocks. The club has to be crazy if we did anything like that i.e. not play him in away games so that we don't have to pay the full fees.

Sorry Dave I know it is the season to be pessimistic but that has to be bollocks. The club has to be crazy if we did anything like that i.e. not play him in away games so that we don't have to pay the full fees.

would that be as crazy as what they're doing now?  which is nothing whatsoever in the face of an obviously inadequate squad...which ashley has previous as well

playing HBA in 19 games at home would give us a better chance of staying up than not tbh