Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Thought he looked quite sharp yesterday actually, finds some very dangerous spaces. Of course he's going to lose the ball at times, he's a risk taker, it's also the reason why he's such a fantastic player.

It looks his agility/pace isn't completely back, which I hope is a sharpness/fitness issue rather than an uncorrectable physical issue, but he had a few nice touches and looked better towards the end of the match. I would start him against Stoke to make sure we're able to control possession. It'll be important to make sure the game's played in their half so we aren't subjected to the avalanche of crosses and throw-ins from dangerous positions.

I think that's a spot on assessment.

He needs to keep fannying out of tackles TBH, that should be a major part of his game.

Exactly,obviously not everything

but there are certain tackles you cant win,and you having been in possession of the ball previously doesn't change that.

As I said in another thread,plenty of people at the match who don't understand the game,they've either never played or can't remember it.

We've been crying out for a creative player for ages,don't piss and moan at him for trying to be creative and don't expect 50/50's to be one of his strong points.

The funniest thing when HBA gets the ball really is, that all our players even just stands still looking what he is going to do next much like oposition defenders are. Because they got no real clue at all and they allways seem surprised at the fact that he just pushes the ball into a space for them wich they didn't think was possible. This is also where he right now looses the ball at times. But when our players know they just has to position themself to tap it in HBA will shine through everything.

Guest fumiste

Few lines about yesterday's game on sofoot.com

http://www.sofoot.com/en-attendant-le-derby-de-manchester-149086.html

Newcastle / Wigan 1-0

Scorer: Cabaye (81 ') for Magpies

Not much good in this game rather disappointing Magpies at St James Park. I would have expected an upturn with the return in the second half of Hatem Ben Arfa. But HBA, even with good intentions, even bringing more percussion Pardew's team, still needs more rhythm to be really decisive and make the right choices. Up to ten minutes from the end of the meeting, our love of aesthetics had in fact been filled by the cotton in the nose bloodied by Steven Taylor. Then, on one of the few centers in the drinking game, Marveaux at the far post, just came into play, offered a back pass Cabaye nickel. Like the goal of Milner at Blackburn last week, the former Lille opened the base to get the height of the side-netting Al-Habsi. Or how to save a match and make Newcastle an undefeated team, stuck to the tails of Chelsea and Man United.

Guest mimifrench

Is it normal that every time Ben arfa got the ball on his feet, all the other players just stared at him, maybe waiting for him to do something exceptional and consequently no offering any solutions to him??

He made some really stupid decisions like that "heel" in the middle of the pitch...

But I thought the match was more "lively" with him in the squad. First half was very boring. Nevertheless, to my mind, he doesn't deserve his place in the starting XI yet.

If he starts on the Cup, it will be a good test for him as he needs to START some matches, to not have on his shoulders the pressure of coming for the last minutes like in the previous games.

Before the match, French commentators said that HBA has fixed to himself a date to be fully fit in order to be in the starting XI : the date is 14th November (Man City away if i remember well). They said he absolutely wants to be present for the matches against City and Manchester United...

Is it normal that every time Ben arfa got the ball on his feet, all the other players just stared at him, maybe waiting for him to do something exceptional and consequently no offering any solutions to him??

He made some really stupid decisions like that "heel" in the middle of the pitch...

But I thought the match was more "lively" with him in the squad. First half was very boring. Nevertheless, to my mind, he doesn't deserve his place in the starting XI yet.

If he starts on the Cup, it will be a good test for him as he needs to START some matches, to not have on his shoulders the pressure of coming for the last minutes like in the previous games.

Before the match, French commentators said that HBA has fixed to himself a date to be fully fit in order to be in the starting XI : the date is 14th November (Man City away if i remember well). They said he absolutely wants to be present for the matches against City and Manchester United...

Definitely a problem at the moment.

I must admit, even I like that. I get giddy as f*** every time he touches the ball.  :blush:

:snod: The Gallowgate stands as one every time he approaches the box. You just don't know what he's going to do.

Without excelling individually, we've looked much more threatening in the last 2 games since he's came on. He strikes fear in opponents and its scary to think theres better to come from him. The other players need to give him options though.

i said this in the match thread but cabaye was marked out of the last two games imo when we were 4-4-2...it was clear to me yesterday that HBA was exactly what was needed to exploit the space left by their midfield pushing onto cabaye in our half

and so it turned out imo...although he didn't "win" the game his being on the pitched opened the game up for us and thankfully obertan had been replaced by an actual footballer

ba/best & HBA for me, has to be, at home anyway

Guest mimifrench

If the Wigan forwards hadn't been so clumsy, you could easily have been 1 or 2 down in the HT, ans it's surely not the fault of Ben arfa...

It looks his agility/pace isn't completely back, which I hope is a sharpness/fitness issue rather than an uncorrectable physical issue, but he had a few nice touches and looked better towards the end of the match. I would start him against Stoke to make sure we're able to control possession. It'll be important to make sure the game's played in their half so we aren't subjected to the avalanche of crosses and throw-ins from dangerous positions.

I think that's a spot on assessment.

Yeah, the change of pace and direction is there, but I haven't seen evidence yet of the flat-out pace that he showed initially. Hopefully it'll come.

Guest michaelfoster

Hope it all eventually comes good for him but dont think he warrants taking Best's starting place yet.

this at the minute