Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

He played alright, that run down the left and the snap shot was a treat to watch and something I'm sure we will see more often when he's firing on all cylinders.  Should be noted that everytime he has the ball or is winding up for a shot, theres generally 2-4 men around him trying to block it.  As the sharpness and understanding kicks in, he'll be laying those off to players in better position.

I like what I saw from 45 mins from him - he's no where near ready to start in the PL yet - League Cup 90 mins, and anorther 30-45 min cameo vs Stoke and i think he'll be nearing sharpness and be in a better position to start.

He played alright, that run down the left and the snap shot was a treat to watch and something I'm sure we will see more often when he's firing on all cylinders.  Should be noted that everytime he has the ball or is winding up for a shot, theres generally 2-4 men around him trying to block it.  As the sharpness and understanding kicks in, he'll be laying those off to players in better position.

I like what I saw from 45 mins from him - he's no where near ready to start in the PL yet - League Cup 90 mins, and anorther 30-45 min cameo vs Stoke and i think he'll be nearing sharpness and be in a better position to start.

:serious:

He's coming under far too much scrutiny and criticism already, considering how little into his comeback it is. He needs some time to find himself on a football pitch again, both mentally and physically but he can't do that with the added pressure of people nitpicking over every aspect of his performance and playing style at such early stages. Just let the kid breathe and find his feet, there's a good chance he won't be the same player in a month.

He's coming under far too much scrutiny and criticism already, considering how little into his comeback it is. He needs some time to find himself on a football pitch again, both mentally and physically but he can't do that with the added pressure of people nitpicking over every aspect of his performance and playing style at such early stages. Just let the kid breathe and find his feet, there's a good chance he won't be the same player in a month.

He supposedly bottled 50/50 tackles which I still haven't seen after watching the match twice tonight.  The only thing I felt he could have improved on was a few of his first touches being a little heavy and he'll soon get over that.

Hope so, but until then I'd be happier starting him over Obertan down the right/left instead of having him in the middle. The thing is, Marveaux seems to be a much better fit for the AMC position than Ben Arfa, as much as we all love him.

Also I'd prefer it if he bottled the 50/50s, don't think I could stand watching him flying into tackles and shit.

So many MOTD/highlight reel fans at the match these days.  People having a massive go and almost jeering because he lost the ball on the edge of their box, or ducked a 50/50  :lol: fucking pathetic.

Do we expect him to create a chance, get an assist, a shot of or score everytime he approaches the other teams box?  Do people genuinely expect him to slide in like Cheik Tiote for a 50/50 challenge against Mohamed Diame?

He's an edge of the seat player, a risk taker and the creative spark we've been crying out for, yet still some like to twist and moan.  Add to the fact he's coming off the back of a year out with injury and has still barely played any games in the Premier League.

I don't think he looks unfit or slower, just his touch seems a bit out and he is understandably lacking match sharpeness/fitness.  He also looks to be operating on a different wavelength to the rest of the team at the minute.  Nowt that concerns me, with more games all that I have just mentioned will obviously improve.  Changed the dynamic of the game when he come on, gave us some urgency. 

Spot on Nath, I was sitting down at the front of the Gallowgate and every time he got the ball we were up off our seats. Been so long since we had a player as exciting as this.

There were also some fans behind me criticising him for losing the ball and not tackling hard enough, but I dismissed them as idiots.

Spot on Nath, I was sitting down at the front of the Gallowgate and every time he got the ball we were up off our seats. Been so long since we had a player as exciting as this.

There were also some fans behind me criticising him for losing the ball and not tackling hard enough, but I dismissed them as idiots.

Does Baggio sit behind you?

How anybody can have a go at Ben Arfa's play on Saturday quite frankly doesn't have a clue.

Sick of it, I get the impression that some are expecting him to come in, slay some defenders, score some wonder goals then wander off to the chorus "that's the Ben Arfa we know". The lad's got unbelievable technique, incredible movement and will show it time and again this season. He needs time, he'll get it, within three or four games people will stop all this shit.

He's not immune to criticism no one is, but I rather see him lose the ball trying to create something than not lose it and also not create fuck all for over 9 games of football.

Players like him will lose the ball more than others because they have the ball at their feet more and try to create something. Uncreative players like Obertan won't lose it as often as they won't risk it. If no player risked it, we would look like a Barcelona not trying to score. Rather him lose the ball doing that, than just running around for nothing. Not really having a go at Gabriel but just not agreeing that Obertan would get slated for trying a fancy backheel as long as he tried to create something everytime he had the ball instead of running into a wall everytime and then once making a backheel which failed.

Guest ykmkmdd

Remember how rubbish Demba Ba was at the start of the season? Match sharpness is massively important at the top level and Ben Arfa has been out for a year, could be months before we see him back to his best, just need to give him game time and be patient.

He supposedly bottled 50/50 tackles which I still haven't seen after watching the match twice tonight.  The only thing I felt he could have improved on was a few of his first touches being a little heavy and he'll soon get over that.

There were definitely at least two occasions where he pulled out of tackles that he could feasibly have won.  Perfectly understandable after the injury though and I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before he gets the confidence back

How anybody can have a go at Ben Arfa's play on Saturday quite frankly doesn't have a clue.

Sick of it, I get the impression that some are expecting him to come in, slay some defenders, score some wonder goals then wander off to the chorus "that's the Ben Arfa we know". The lad's got unbelievable technique, incredible movement and will show it time and again this season. He needs time, he'll get it, within three or four games people will stop all this shit.

What, so he doesn't train with the squad? I don't expect him to slay anyone or score wonder goals every time he touches the ball. I do expect him to pass to a teammate instead of back heel to nobody. I expect him to understand that his skill draws THREE defenders which means that his teammates are unmarked.

The problem here is that I am an NUFC supporter not an HBA supporter.

I think it is woderful that the Gallowgate End stood when he got the ball. They then promptly sat down again when he lost it. Excercise for the masses...

What, so he doesn't train with the squad? I don't expect him to slay anyone or score wonder goals every time he touches the ball. I do expect him to pass to a teammate instead of back heel to nobody. I expect him to understand that his skill draws THREE defenders which means that his teammates are unmarked.

I think it is woderful that the Gallowgate End stood when he got the ball. They then promptly sat down again when he lost it. Excercise for the masses...

He didn't back heel to nobody, he back heeled to Cabaye and it almost came off.

He didn't back heel to nobody, he back heeled to Cabaye and it almost came off.

Didn't come off though and left us completely open to their attack. I don't see why people are arguing here, he came on, showed some glimpses of what he will be like once up to speed and also did a few things which reminded you how long he's been out for. When he clicks back into the flow of things some team is going to get an absolute pounding. Would be perfect if that happened to be Man City. We can dream.

Sick of it, I get the impression that some are expecting him to come in, slay some defenders, score some wonder goals then wander off to the chorus "that's the Ben Arfa we know". The lad's got unbelievable technique, incredible movement and will show it time and again this season. He needs time, he'll get it, within three or four games people will stop all this s***.

Agreed to an extent, but he shouldn't be immune to criticism and the amount of times he lost possession. As everyone always says, if Obertan had lost the ball trying fancy back heels he would have been slated for it.

But, on the other hand, I'm willing to give him a lot more time to shake off the rustiness which I believe is what is making him so wasteful at the minute.

Exactly.

VDV is a player he should be looking at as to how to play the number 10 role, he knows when to give it and when to try something more extravagant and he isn't anywhere near as wasteful with the ball.

Fingers crossed when he does get up to speed he shows signs of playing for the team more instead of himself but we'll have to see about that one, he's got until the ANC has finished to cement his place in the team and find goals on a some what regular basis otherwise I can see Pardew buying a new striker and looking to play him with Ba.

Does Baggio sit behind you?

I sit further back than that, as a few on here can tell you who have used my seat in the past. O0