Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

And Ramsey's not just an example that I'm kind of making up. Wenger has come out and said the same thing. He looks a different player to the one that played towards the end of last season.

If you look at the Forest game though, i'm not sure you can really say that he's not physically right. He burst through the middle with fantastic acceleration and pace in that one. He's also supposed to be doing wonderfully in training as well. I personally think he's physically fine, his problems now are purely mental.

I don't want it to look like I'm defending Ben Arfa blindly here BTW, I get frustrated as well when I see him lose the ball due to over-dribbling, he's not above criticism. I just think what he brings to the team is crucial, as for me with both Tiote and Cabaye tending to sit quite deep, we definitely need someone to link the midfield and attack if we want to avoid getting sucked into long ball football. With limited full backs it's even more important.

There's gonna come a game, in the very near future, where he destroys some cunt.  The nearest athlete i can liken him to is Michael Jordan, who most people on this forum won't remember or probably care about. But when this kid get's the ball, sometimes it seems like everybody else on the field is under water.  He just operates on a different level.

What? :lol:

And Ramsey's not just an example that I'm kind of making up. Wenger has come out and said the same thing. He looks a different player to the one that played towards the end of last season.

If people were saying he's lost it completely since the injury and won't get it back then you might have a valid point, however I don't see anyone saying this and more people reviewing game by game and for me he went missing for the first half an hour he was on the pitch on Saturday, that's not to say he won't get better as he gets his match sharpness back but he's not above criticism for when he doesn't do enough.

This is not the same as when people were writing off Ba as a flop 2 games in or saying they had doubts about Marveaux after he didn't feature in the squad against Arsenal.

For what it's worth I thought Cabaye, Tiote and Ba were all well above the high standards that they've set themselves this season and I've said as much in the match thread so it's not a case of picking on poor little Hatem, when he plays well he'll get all of the credit in the World from me but that last 2 appearances he's been average.

I don't want it to look like I'm defending Ben Arfa blindly here BTW, I get frustrated as well when I see him lose the ball due to over-dribbling, he's not above criticism. I just think what he brings to the team is crucial, as for me with both Tiote and Cabaye tending to sit quite deep, we definitely need someone to link the midfield and attack if we want to avoid getting sucked into long ball football. With limited full backs it's even more important.

Ba does that and has done since he's hit form, he was just poor on Saturday.

If people were saying he's lost it completely since the injury and won't get it back then you might have a valid point, however I don't see anyone saying this and more people reviewing game by game and for me he went missing for the first half an hour he was on the pitch on Saturday, that's not to say he won't get better as he gets his match sharpness back but he's not above criticism for when he doesn't do enough.

This is not the same as when people were writing off Ba as a flop 2 games in or saying they had doubts about Marveaux after he didn't feature in the squad against Arsenal.

For what it's worth I thought Cabaye, Tiote and Ba were all well above the high standards that they've set themselves this season and I've said as much in the match thread so it's not a case of picking on poor little Hatem, when he plays well he'll get all of the credit in the World from me but that last 2 appearances he's been average.

Honestly, my post wasn't directed at any one or at any argument. It's just my opinion on why he has had two average performances so far. When fully fit, he's a Messi-type of player who can ghost past players for fun and pull multiple defenders from their positions, opening up gigantic spaces for our other players and being able to find them with a clever pass or two. That's my expectation of him when fully fit. He's obviously not Messi in that he takes too long to pass and isn't as direct, but I have very high expectations. He's not there yet and I think it's because his agility and pace isn't fully back yet.

Why was he running away from the Wigan goal (he was actually running across the pitch more than away from the Wigan goal)?  Because he had already delayed passing the ball to Cabaye about 5 seconds earlier in order to hold onto the ball.  Cabaye was standing in exactly the same place when Ben Arfa tried the backheel - except that the option for the pass had now been closed off.

We'd just had a corner and the ball had been cleared and picked up by Ryan Taylor who played it to Simpson who then played the ball to Tiote.  Tiote played the ball forward to Ben Arfa who played the ball back to Tiote, Ben Arfa then headed away from goal and into space.  The ball was played forward of Tiote and forward of Ben Arfa who was facing away from the Wigan goal.  Ben Arfa was running away from goal because Tiote passed the ball to him while he was running into space in that direction and he let it run.  He was running across the pitch and away from goal while being tracked by Watson.  Ben Arfa looked to his right and saw Cabaye was making a cross field run between two Wigan players and Coloccini and possibly Taylor who were on the edge of the Wigan area.  Ben Arfa turned away slightly more towards our end for a couple of seconds as if to feign a run and he played the ball to where Cabaye would have been if he carried on his run.

Cabaye was probably two to three yards from the 18 yard box and roughly in line with the D.  Cabaye was running towards the centre of the pitch when Ben Arfa looked up.  No way could any player have found Cabaye with the ball at that point as the Ref and a Wigan player were both between the two.  Cabaye did stop running while Ben Arfa was facing the other way to him and couldn't have known that Cabaye had stopped his run unless he's got eyes in the back of his head.

Not what I saw.  Will have to take another look if I can find it.

There's gonna come a game, in the very near future, where he destroys some cunt.  The nearest athlete i can liken him to is Michael Jordan, who most people on this forum won't remember or probably care about. But when this kid get's the ball, sometimes it seems like everybody else on the field is under water.  He just operates on a different level.

Made me feel old. Is that really ancient history?

Made me feel old. Is that really ancient history?

No it wasn't :lol: It's been less than 10 years since he retired man.

If he's ancient history, so is Shearer.

It usually takes foreign players a season to adjust to the premier league, Ben Arfa didn't even get that last season. Throw in a crippling injury followed by another fairly serious injury............

People need to dampen down their immediate expectations of the lad. He's a wonderful talent and I've no doubt he'll go on to have a brilliant season but people are being far far too quick to come to conclusions as to how he's performing or how he'll do. Look at Silva at Citeh, he did alright last season but now he's used to the Prem he's absolutely flying in the league this season.

Guest tunisia

Hello

I was able to quickly see your last two match, it was not easy but the key is there, the points, even if against Totenham you have won.

to return to hatem, it is not the player I admire, he made ​​mistakes, he also did before, but this is the big mistakes, like the heel.

however, it always brings the speed so that your team could not find a solution. it may take one or two actions for almost a goal back.

you just around the corner to your big games, it is important that Marval hatem santon and can be fit by mid November.

your team has not lost any match but struggled in almost every game, if you want to play in europe next year must have the best team by mid November.

Hatem will not be ready a year without playing is complicated, lack of automation with some players, especially forwards, if not Cabaye gutirez and it's good.

I am confident in your team, you may be going through a bad period in November but in December you will leave better afterwards.

by cons in November if you earn two to three games, it would be great.

do not be harsh with hatem, leave him time, he will reward you. however

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I seen there's a few lines in the Journal this morning regarding Ben Arfas "refusal to play for the reserves" and that the club say this was down to a misunderstanding in communication.

Hope he's not the rotten apple in the barrel. If he is he needs moving on pdq.

:lol:

I seen there's a few lines in the Journal this morning regarding Ben Arfas "refusal to play for the reserves" and that the club say this was down to a misunderstanding in communication.

Hope he's not the rotten apple in the barrel. If he is he needs moving on pdq.

???

Innocent til proven guilty of course, but I remain a tad suspicious!

We know from his former club he is a bit precious!

He was meant to play in the reserves but didn't show!

An excuse was then given about some random relative in Tunisia being unwell!

I think I am right in saying we heard nothing more about this relative!

Although in desperate need of match fitness, is still not playing in the reserves.

Still commenting on it three weeks later in the local rag!

Is it so implausible mlud?

Innocent til proven guilty of course, but I remain a tad suspicious!

We know from his former club he is a bit precious!

He was meant to play in the reserves but didn't show!

An excuse was then given about some random relative in Tunisia being unwell!

I think I am right in saying we heard nothing more about this relative!

Although in desperate need of match fitness, is still not playing in the reserves.

Still commenting on it three weeks later in the local rag!

Is it so implausible mlud?

Everyone knows he has a difficult personality. Even Pardew has said so. There is no point in making stuff out of nothing like you are though.