Manchester Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 16/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Jose didn't get forward as much as normal meaning Jonas kept running into the centre and getting lost at the few times we went forwards - hopefully that was just a tactical thing with playing Man U and not something that carrys on throughout the season.

Williamson I thought was canny, though could easily have had a mare if he didn't rectify his mistakes as he did.  Perch, like everyone has said wasn't fantastic but he is young playing against one of the best teams in the world.  He won't struggle as much against a team like Stoke.

Routledge didn't cross as well as he has done pre season - though I think this is mainly due to Evra having him in his pocket most of the game.

Carroll for me was our MoM, held everything well and got back.  Though dropped quite deep, fair enough he probably had to as he had no service, but when we had a chance to break he was never forward.

Another striker or creative/attacking midfielder needed.

Dont think Carroll is suited to playing up front on his own though, he needs support.

The players who thrive up front by themselves are the all singing all dancing types who can make their own chances, score headers, outside the box etc.

That's why the likes of Drogba are indespensible.

Would much rather see AC with a strike partner.

Difference is Chelsea have so much of the ball that Drogba is never isolated.  Totally, totally different scenarios.

Harper - Looked slow for their third, couldn't really do much with the other goals though. Couple of good saves as well.

Perch - Got better in the second half, but he still looked out of his depth for most of the game. Hopefully just needs some time to settle.

Williamson - A couple of mistakes that nearly cost us, bar that he played very well, especially considering the opposition and that this was his PL debut.

Colo - See Williamson.

Enrique looked solid, shame he gave the ball away like he did for their third though. Our best player by a mile IMO.

Routledge - Tried hard, but his passing was terrible. Will be an important player for us this season.

Barton - Worked his socks off and won a fair few tackles. His passing needs to get better, but I reckon it will when he'll a little more time on the ball before being closed down as quickly as he was today.

Smith - Fuck off, wank again.

Jonas - See Routledge.

Nolan - Was he even on the pitch?

Carroll - Did very well tonight. Looks a lot quicker than last season and seems hungry. Will do well this season IMO.

Dont think Carroll is suited to playing up front on his own though, he needs support.

The players who thrive up front by themselves are the all singing all dancing types who can make their own chances, score headers, outside the box etc.

That's why the likes of Drogba are indespensible.

Would much rather see AC with a strike partner.

he wasnt playing on his own,  Nolan was so non existent is what made it look like he was playing on his own. 

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper- 6- I don't think there was too much he could have done

Perch- 4- Not that bad a performance, but had a big job and was under a lot of pressure

Williamson- 7- Liked him a lot. Solid and worked hard,

Coloccini- 5- A bit shakey

Enrique- 5- Gave away some balls too easily and wasn't up to his best

Routledge- 6- He worked hard, but had a tough job,

Smith- 5- He wasn't that bad really, made a few good blocks,

Barton- 5- Gave some possession away far too easily

Jonas- 4- Not his best night

Nolan- 4- Off the beat

Carroll- 8- Battled so well, our MOTM. Needs a good partner up there

I'd have probably settled for that before the game.

The goals came through individula errors but I think Man U forced the errors by pushing high up the field and not letting us have any time or space. Their movement was fantastic and we got pulled all over the place for 10 or 15 minutes before we eventually conceded. As the half went on we chased them and our back 4 were pushed further and further back.

Carroll was superb, our heads didn't go down, we created genuine chances, no-one got injured and our season starts on Sunday.

Pretty much agree with that :sadnod:

We're pretty much a ST to play alongside Carroll (Bellamy-esque) and an AM to plug that gap (Ben Arfa-esque) away from mounting a serious challenge to stay up IMO.

We were making these mistakes last season too. Only difference is that the likes of Berbatov and Giggs will punish you for them where as strikers last season put them wide or straight at Harper.

Need to cut that out but I'm fairly encouraged by what I've seen, despite the score.

Anyone in the press evers writes "Geordies are delusional" just send them this thread never has a 3-0 defeat ever been so acceptable.

Really can't tell if your being sarcastic or not

I acknowledge this statement may sound daft as we've just let in 3,  but the centre halves looked very solid.

Was just individual mistakes that cost us.  Hopefully when Sol is fit he'll get them playing like a compact unit

Just a word for Perch and Routledge... they were pretty poor but they were facing one of the best RW combinations in Europe.

If O'Shea and Valencia are one of the best RW combinations in Europe, there's hope that Nolan will one day be World Footballer of the Year :lol:

Sorry, obviously I meant LW.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think we should be encouraged by the grit and battle we had in our performance, even when being dominated every minute by them

Guest Milburnthedog

We need new blood in all positions which isn't likely to happen. I'll take 4th bottom on goal difference right now.

Too many Championship quality players still here and simply no where near where we need to be. Goals will be a big problem this season and we need Sol fit quickly.

Just a word for Perch and Routledge... they were pretty poor but they were facing one of the best RW combinations in Europe.

If O'Shea and Valencia are one of the best RW combinations in Europe, there's hope that Nolan will one day be World Footballer of the Year :lol:

Sorry, obviously I meant LW.

That was my fault. Realised what you mean't eventually :lol:

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Jose didn't get forward as much as normal meaning Jonas kept running into the centre and getting lost at the few times we went forwards - hopefully that was just a tactical thing with playing Man U and not something that carrys on throughout the season.

Williamson I thought was canny, though could easily have had a mare if he didn't rectify his mistakes as he did.  Perch, like everyone has said wasn't fantastic but he is young playing against one of the best teams in the world.  He won't struggle as much against a team like Stoke.

Routledge didn't cross as well as he has done pre season - though I think this is mainly due to Evra having him in his pocket most of the game.

Carroll for me was our MoM, held everything well and got back.  Though dropped quite deep, fair enough he probably had to as he had no service, but when we had a chance to break he was never back.

Another striker or creative/attacking midfielder needed.

Good post and positive

I acknowledge this statement may sound daft as we've just let in 3,  but the centre halves looked very solid.

Colo put us in trouble with his passing a couple times, he either needs to work on his passing or just boot it more often.

They'll do well if they had a more competent defensive midfielder than Smith in there. i.e. Gosling or Guthrie, or Hughton's mother.