Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

I think it's now a bit mad to be getting rid of him at this point of the season and where we currently sit in the table, but with his lack of reliability from a fitness (and appearance) standpoint and his 1 dimensional game, the move in the big picture makes sense. Shame that he put in 2 classic Tiote performances versus Arsenal and Man Utd, but nonetheless, if it ushers in a movement of more 2 way players to play centrally for us who can contribute in not only the defensive side, ball retention, etc but also in attack.

Anyway, if he's sold this window, I'll fondly remember those first 2 seasons and always wonder "what-if" had he played for a better manager.

If Tiote is fit and capable of being part of the squad, his last few performances show how valuable he can be for us, and it seems optimistic to think that two players who have played much of their careers higher up the pitch will be able to come in and match him in terms of physicality, ball winning, and positioning in front of the defence. It's a role we still need to fill even if we want more of an attacking contribution from our deeper midfielders. And I actually think that if his head is right and he is given the right sort of encouragement from the manager, and if there's a bit of movement ahead of him, he is a decent passer of the ball. I wouldn't sell him, and I'll be sorry to see him go presuming he does leave.

If Tiote is fit and capable of being part of the squad, his last few performances show how valuable he can be for us, and it seems optimistic to think that two players who have played much of their careers higher up the pitch will be able to come in and match him in terms of physicality, ball winning, and positioning in front of the defence. It's a role we still need to fill even if we want more of an attacking contribution from our deeper midfielders. And I actually think that if his head is right and he is given the right sort of encouragement from the manager, and if there's a bit of movement ahead of him, he is a decent passer of the ball. I wouldn't sell him, and I'll be sorry to see him go presuming he does leave.

I've said all that down the years but there are two key factors for me. First it seems he's been wanting a move for a while. Second, I don't see a problem in selling him if we bring in a replacement and Saivet seems to be just that. Whether he'll be physically up to it remains to be seen, but you would hope that Carr and McClaren would realise what we need after the Anita experiment.

If we can get £8m for him and it's reinvested in the team for a new CB and/or striker I'll be quite happy with that.

As it is, Ashley will probably keep hold of the dollar as he's spent too much for his liking this season.

His performance versus Man Utd 4 years ago was some of the best DM playing I've seen out of our squad in years, i'd say Abeid last season versus City and Liverpool was up there in terms of complete control and dominance from side-to-side and up and down the pitch.

His performance versus Man Utd 4 years ago was some of the best DM playing I've seen out of our squad in years, i'd say Abeid last season versus City and Liverpool was up there in terms of complete control and dominance from side-to-side and up and down the pitch.

This fucking club, man. :( What a team we could've had with all the talent we've hounded out of the club via absolute dogshit managers.

In the season we finished 5th how many clean sheets did we keep? What percentage of games did Tiote play in?

I maintain to this day for a flat four Cabaye and Tiote played tremendously that season.  They protected the defence and gave the attackers a chance to score goals. Competed well against all the opposition

Pretty much every spell of good form we've had over the last 4 years Tiote has largely been in the team. Including that 6 game winning streak last season if my memory is holding up.

I don't doubt Tiote in his first 2 seasons, he was a class player...he deteriorated massively since then and shows glimpses (and not often) of looking like his old self, before, classically, getting hurt and repeating the fucking process again.

The sooner we field 2 or 3 proper midfielders who can contribute to both ends of the pitch or play more positive football, the better, and it appears we are finally on that track.

He gives the ball away in dangerous areas too much at this level. The rest of his game is decent.

He should be sold put what we get in return makes little difference. 8m would be fantastic money.