Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Absolutely devastating news. :( Younger than me for God's sake.

His first two seasons here he was absolutely imperious, and he will live forever in NUFC folklore for that goal.

Well said Wullie. :thup:

Him actually dieing is heartbreaking enough, but to read his wife is expecting is just beyond what words can describe.

It's just so sad, i can't begin to understand what his family must be going through right now. R.I.P.

When we signed him, it was like we'd bought the player player we'd needed ever since Speed left. Was fantastic to finally have a bit of steel in the middle, having fannied around with the likes of Butt, Smith, Bowyer, Emre, Faye and that lot. Parker was alright but nothing like Cheick in his first two seasons. He brought grit, aggression and just enough guile during his first two seasons, and it was like - thank God we finally got one of these midfielders.

I'm not gonna pretend I didn't slag his performances during the second half of his career here, but fundamentally he's someone we'll always look back on fondly, and that is a credit to him during this era of owning several players we generally wouldn't give the time of day to.