Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Devastating news that has genuinely affected me. A warrior has been taken from us far too soon. The various tweet, statements, and tributes have been affecting. Given how short his time in this world was, the number of people he has impacted is great, greater than most could ever imagine. My thoughts are with his young family. As a father, my greatest fear is not being able to raise my son. I cannot imagine the pain. He loss will be felt by so many. Rest in eternal paradise, Cheick Tioté.

I will say, the preponderance of African footballers simply slumping and succumbing to heart failure in football is shocking. Something must change. From Okwaraji to Foe to Cheick with far to many in between, and close calls for the likes of Fadiga, Kanu, and Muamba, one must wonder if there is not more that can be done to prevent these tragedies.

Devastating news that has genuinely affected me. A warrior has been taken from us far too soon. The various tweet, statements, and tributes have been affecting. Given how short his time in this world was, the number of people he has impacted is great, greater than most could ever imagine. My thoughts are with his young family. As a father, my greatest fear is not being able to raise my son. I cannot imagine the pain. He loss will be felt by so many. Rest in eternal paradise, Cheick Tioté.

I will say, the preponderance of African footballers simply slumping and succumbing to heart failure in football is shocking. Something must change. From Okwaraji to Foe to Cheick with far to many in between, and close calls for the likes of Fadiga, Kanu, and Muamba, one must wonder if there is not more that can be done to prevent these tragedies.

There definitely seems to be a disproportionate amount of African players dying young.  Is it genetic, or if is it something that might be caught here but goes undiagnosed in Africa (or both)?

There definitely seems to be a disproportionate amount of African players dying young.  Is it genetic, or if is it something that might be caught here but goes undiagnosed in Africa (or both)?

I have heard that the genetic predispositions for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and other similar ailments that can cause cardiac death in athletes do seem more concentrated among Africans and those of African descent. As someone mentioned earlier though, players at top clubs are going through advanced tests, it would be different if we were discussing local African players. We may be at an impasse until the science improves, I suppose.

Similar thing happens all too frequently with young African-American athletes, especially teenagers.

Still finding this hard to swallow, can't even read other Newcastle news

I understand many of these have to do with sickle-cell trait, which I also have. As an athlete with this, I have learned that it is imperative to stay extremely hydrated at all times, and generally avoid playing at altitude entirely. I believe deaths due to this are largely attributed to a lack of education on the symptoms and ways to prevent these issues, especially in those punishing football camps in late summer that players are made to go through. Though, if any heart issue disproportionately affects West Africans, it will generally do the same for African Americans, at the end of things, we descend from the same groups.

Guest elbee909

That picture of the staircase. :lol:

Structurally unsound. It'd never pass building standards.

I thought it was Michael Owen on there for a moment.

Heard you the first time. Please don't speculate.

You may say its speculate which I wont say completely wrong but thats what circulating within China network.  Dave you have to know you would NEVER get a real answer from official parties in China because everything is under cencored and the truth can only be “leaked” but not “revealed”.  From the clubs point of view, the best outcome is Tiote died due to natural illness instead of medical mistreatment or other human errors which the club or any staff or officials has to bear responsibility.  I am from HK and I really know a lot more than you about China.  You are right that we shouldnt speculate but I would say these internet rumours are the only possible source of truth and thats why I shared here.

For your further info, there is no “heart attack” mentioned in local media.  The “facts” stated are

1.  Tiote collapsed during training

2.  Passed away a few hours later

Thats it.

For your further info, there is no “heart attack” mentioned in local media.  The “facts” stated are

1.  Tiote collapsed during training

2.  Passed away a few hours later

Thats it.

Well that's exactly the same as is being reported here. I don't doubt you know more about China than me, I just think it's poor form to be speculating about his cause of death so soon based on internet rumours. Cheers.

So sad :-(

f6af2d351e6d3b12e3fd7c7d42e65d74.jpg

Sad but shows where Newcastle as a club stood in his career if his little lad is wearing the shirt.

They still live in Newcastle and went to the club shop yesterday and they made it up for him.