Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You don't put a player on the transfer list unless you're resigned to them leaving soon for free with their contract running out. It's a signal from the club that whatever Taylor's demands are, they're not going to be met. Therefore they're willing to publically advertise him for sale in order to try and get what they can for him if possible. Anything they get is a bonus at this stage, because presumably they don't see him actually playing a great deal anyway (injury plus at least two other squad members being ahead of him in the pecking order).

There's no comparison whatsoever to players like Coloccini and Smith who whilst on silly money too, have years to run on their contracts still and are currently first or second choice players anyway. Why on earth would we want to give those players up at the lowest possible price? Even if we didn't rate them it would be mental to put them on the transfer list so publically.

A player can be listed at any time for any reason. Nor does placing a player on the transfer list mean they have to be sold at the lowest possible price.

The club could easily have released a bit more information, say “We have offered Steven Taylor what we believe to be a good contract offer.  This offer was rejected but remains on the table. We have therefore placed the player on the transfer list”.

Not the prefect statement but one that fills in some of the gaps. What we get is yet another statement that leaves supporters in the dark. Just like no more capital outlay, confusion and wild speculation is the order of the day.

Did the club offer ST a contract?

I think you're being deliberately obtuse.

The worst thing they could do is advertise what length of his contract is left - what would be the point in telling everyone his contract is about to run out???

So you dont think clubs know that already?

No. :smug:

I don't believe they know anything when anyone above Hughton is involved.

Pretty annoyed about this, don't think we can afford to let the guy go really but at least we have a little backup.

One of my favourite newcastle players....but if he's just not budging over a wage we can't afford, there's not much we can do.

Guest Stephen927

The transfer list is shit. On FM2010 I put Ameobi and Butt on it and no fucker would take them even for nowt(!).

You don't put a player on the transfer list unless you're resigned to them leaving soon for free with their contract running out. It's a signal from the club that whatever Taylor's demands are, they're not going to be met. Therefore they're willing to publically advertise him for sale in order to try and get what they can for him if possible. Anything they get is a bonus at this stage, because presumably they don't see him actually playing a great deal anyway (injury plus at least two other squad members being ahead of him in the pecking order).

There's no comparison whatsoever to players like Coloccini and Smith who whilst on silly money too, have years to run on their contracts still and are currently first or second choice players anyway. Why on earth would we want to give those players up at the lowest possible price? Even if we didn't rate them it would be mental to put them on the transfer list so publically.

A player can be listed at any time for any reason. Nor does placing a player on the transfer list mean they have to be sold at the lowest possible price.

The club could easily have released a bit more information, say We have offered Steven Taylor what we believe to be a good contract offer.  This offer was rejected but remains on the table. We have therefore placed the player on the transfer list.

Not the prefect statement but one that fills in some of the gaps. What we get is yet another statement that leaves supporters in the dark. Just like no more capital outlay, confusion and wild speculation is the order of the day.

Did the club offer ST a contract?

I think you're being deliberately obtuse.

http://ak2.static.dailymotion.com/static/video/608/935/15539806:jpeg_preview_medium.jpg?20100731103227

FWIW I'm not particularly happy about this news; I don't rate him hugely but I'd rather he was staying.

Despite the poll results I'm certain most feel the same way. But there have been rumours of Taylor leaving for the past couple of years now, and these only intensified after he got decked by Carroll. This has been on the cards for some time now and it's no surprise to most people that he will leave.

FWIW I'm not particularly happy about this news; I don't rate him hugely but I'd rather he was staying.

Despite the poll results I'm certain most feel the same way. But there have been rumours of Taylor leaving for the past couple of years now, and these only intensified after he got decked by Carroll. This has been on the cards for some time now and it's no surprise to most people that he will leave.

Second that, Tron.

Probably been said but this is probably just to show Taylor (or rather, Taylor's agent) that they can't get what they want. Wouldn't be surprised if he signed a contract at about £40k eventually.

I like Steven Taylor, always gives his all and is a decent defender. I'm sure he loves the club as well, I suspect funny business from the agent.

If the reports of the club offering him £40k a week are true then that's a fair offer. It would appear to be a decent increase on his current one and would have had a relegation clause in it which the board got slammed for not including in previous contracts dished out. If Taylor was asking for £60k then that is totally unrealistic and Ashley was/is never going to agree to that. I don't blame him for starting high in the haggling process but £60k and reusing to budge (if these reports are true) is taking the piss.

Reading between the lines it would appear that the club have called his bluff and made sure the public know that it was Taylor trying to be a greedy twat that has forced the situation. Taylor's position is basically untenable now, he's painted himself into a corner. The only slight criticism that could be levelled at the club is that they've listed him with only 6 days of the window to go rather than with a month or two left to drum up a bit of interest and force his price up a bit. Other than that the club have played this one well.   

If the reports of the club offering him £40k a week are true then that's a fair offer. It would appear to be a decent increase on his current one and would have had a relegation clause in it which the board got slammed for not including in previous contracts dished out. If Taylor was asking for £60k then that is totally unrealistic and Ashley was/is never going to agree to that. I don't blame him for starting high in the haggling process but £60k and reusing to budge (if these reports are true) is taking the piss.

Reading between the lines it would appear that the club have called his bluff and made sure the public know that it was Taylor trying to be a greedy twat that has forced the situation. Taylor's position is basically untenable now, he's painted himself into a corner. The only slight criticism that could be levelled at the club is that they've listed him with only 6 days of the window to go rather than with a month or two left to drum up a bit of interest and force his price up a bit. Other than that the club have played this one well.    

That's my reading of it as well.

Shockingly bad management of the club to leave it this late to be honest.  At the very latest they should have discussed Taylor's contract at the end of the season, made an offer and set Taylor a deadline of around mid July to either accept it or reject it.  Not just before the transfer window shuts.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

i'd love to know where the 60k story originates and if it's true it's taylor asking for a transfer without actually doing so. shame as he's been our best centre half over the last few seasons.

David Craig.

i'd love to know where the 60k story originates and if it's true it's taylor asking for a transfer without actually doing so. shame as he's been our best centre half over the last few seasons.

David Craig.

thats a reply,not an answer matey.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Well, its where the story originated this afternoon on SSN, David Craig and his 'sources close to the deal'.

We've shelled out money this window on players so someone has to be sold to pay for that - and Taylor is a sellable asset and the unconfirmed rumour is that he doesn't fit in too well with the current squad so yeah it stacks up. I could believe his agent might think he can screw some extra wages out of another club by playing the young english card.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Typically fuck all from Hughton on this, in case anyone didn't see it.

Absolutely nothing.

Right approach. What would you want him to say?