Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

It's very rare for footballers to get unanimous respect these days, long term anyway.

Unless they are absolutely class and stay with you their whole career they will be hated eventually, or at least slagged off. Steve Harper is the prime example of this, a good goalkeeper who stayed here his whole career when he could have moved on and probably got a few international calls up but there are still sections of fans who will slag him off for lacking ambition :dontknow: Shearer another example who some rip into for playing on too long and putting himself before the club etc..

My lasting memories of Shola will be a player who had the odd good game but was generally poor, scored a few against our rivals, played through injuries when we desperately needed him and through that caused himself long term damage.

I would rather he just retired now than leave or play on for us next season. He lost that slight 'good enough' factor he had the season we finished 5th where he was a useful sub.

He'll be our manager one day :lol:

I often wonder what impartial fans of other clubs think of Shola.

my uni friends think he's hilarious. Regularly get 'wor shola' jibes. I still love him though, just would rather he moved on and made space for someone else now.

I would guess they either don't really know about him or think he is s****.

I remember Sol Campbell saying he was one of the hardest players he has had to deal with and the Arsenal fans even touting him as a signing for them as a defensive midfielder :lol: so they might view him a little more highly.

VI probably wakes up in the middle of the night screaming after Shola's masterclass at the Nou Camp.

I remember ITV wanking over Shola in that game, and Kluivert being asked about what a great prospect he was. :lol:

The guy's career has gone without him ever playing regularly anywhere. It's quite unbelievable. He's just been happy to play the odd game here and there fleetingly.

He's quite the clown in my opinion. Never really gave things a go. Ridiculous.

Guest hobshobs

It's very rare for footballers to get unanimous respect these days, long term anyway.

Unless they are absolutely class and stay with you their whole career they will be hated eventually, or at least slagged off. Steve Harper is the prime example of this, a good goalkeeper who stayed here his whole career when he could have moved on and probably got a few international calls up but there are still sections of fans who will slag him off for lacking ambition :dontknow: Shearer another example who some rip into for playing on too long and putting himself before the club etc..

My lasting memories of Shola will be a player who had the odd good game but was generally poor, scored a few against our rivals, played through injuries when we desperately needed him and through that caused himself long term damage.

I would rather he just retired now than leave or play on for us next season. He lost that slight 'good enough' factor he had the season we finished 5th where he was a useful sub.

He'll be our manager one day :lol:

I often wonder what impartial fans of other clubs think of Shola.

Was drinking with a group of Rangers fans in Glasgow after the match on Tuesday. Asked what they thought of Shola and to a man they all said he appeared lazy and lacked skill. Couldn't argue with that to be honest.

"Of course I am happy here - I wouldn't be here if I wasn't - but if a lot of strikers do come in then I am pushed down the pecking order, I need to make sure I get games.

"It's important I look at that and see where we are."

You have nothing to worry about Shola.. :(

"Of course I am happy here - I wouldn't be here if I wasn't - but if a lot of strikers do come in then I am pushed down the pecking order, I need to make sure I get games.

"It's important I look at that and see where we are."

You have nothing to worry about Shola.. :(

It's like that Harry Enfield character where he goes off on a tangent at an unrealistic possibility.

"Of course I'm happy here, sure, but if we sign lots of strikers like Gomis and Bent then I'd say, 'oiiiii, Joe, noooooo".

Probably deserves to be in this thread as well:

Pardew also responded to speculation that Shola Ameobi could make a move to QPR.

He said: “He’s been a good player at this football club and a great character and leader here.

“My position is clear on all players here.

“If there is a situation where it is right for the player and right for the club, we will move them on.

“In Shola’s case that isn’t where it’s at.”

Consider me reassured.

Guest reefatoon

I hope to god the QPR interest has turned this galoot's head too, would f***ing love to have him pulled from the squad. Would save us that depression on the 68th minute when he comes on for Gouffran.

I hope to god the QPR interest has turned this galoot's head too, would f***ing love to have him pulled from the squad. Would save us that depression on the 68th minute when he comes on for Gouffran.

Or ending up on the ring wing.