Newcastle United 0 - 2 Blackpool - 11/9/10 - post match reaction from page 20

JH

I'm not saying it was wrose than those games, i'm simply saying it was the worst since.

Newcastle 0-0 Bristol City

Liverpool 3-0 Newcastle

Aston Villa 1-0 Newcastle

Newcastle 0-1 Fulham

Newcastle 1-5 Liverpool

Tottenham 1-0 Newcastle

Need I go on? All of those games we barely had a shot on target, and for me, that equates to a worse performance. Yes, Smith was shit, Carroll was isolated, Enrique had an off day and Perch was crap in the final third, but we still created enough chances to win the game. Don't you see? It's hardly the end of the world.

EDIT: actually, discount the Bristol City game, that was similar to yesterday - visiting keeper plays well.

Don't you realise who we were playing though? Blackpool thoroughly deserved their win, they were the better team. Tjhose results you showed their were mainly against better sides. And four of those were in a 'season of turmoil' against better sides. And the 3-0 against Liverpool doesn't count because i said it was one of the worst since that game ;)

having slept and calmed down a bit and seeing the highlights we were a bit unlucky, williamsons shot if it had a bit more luck might have gone in their keeper pulled some good saves from barton nolan and carroll and in particular if the barton one had gone in we might have gone on to win it, bad day at the office but the important thing is to respond well and put in a good performance vs everton

Don't you realise who we were playing though? Blackpool thoroughly deserved their win, they were the better team. Tjhose results you showed their were mainly against better sides. And four of those were in a 'season of turmoil' against better sides. And the 3-0 against Liverpool doesn't count because i said it was one of the worst since that game ;)

Blackpool didn't deserve to win, though, did they?

They had something like 3 chances, we had 15.

They scored 2 we scored 0. Therefore they deserved to win.

That does not equal a deserved win, that equals a lucky win.

What's unlucky about failing to convert 15 chances?

What's so hard about understanding that even if a team win, it can be undeserved? We were by far the better team, and thus deserved to win. They were the worse team, and got lucky that we couldn't convert our chances whilst they managed to convert theirs as on another day they'd not have been that lucky.

What's so hard about understanding that even if a team win, it can be undeserved? We were by far the better team, and thus deserved to win. They were the worse team, and got lucky that we couldn't convert our chances whilst they managed to convert theirs as on another day they'd not have been that lucky.

Because if you don't take your chances you don't deserve to win in my opinion.

LOL..  no

Because if you don't take your chances you don't deserve to win in my opinion.

Then your opinion is wrong.

That's stupid tbh, absolutely stupid.

You don't just look at the amount of shots, you look at the game as a whole. Some teams are lucky to win, and some teams are unlucky to lose. It's been like that forever, and it will be like that forever. Saying something else is utter bullshit. Football in general is a game of luck unless you have eleven Messi's on the pitch.

This was depressing.

Blackpool were not good. Most of their play consisted of long balls forward most of which trailed harmlessly through to Harper.

Forget the hype in the news, their keeper saved a couple of shots that were close to him and one good one with his feet but he wasnt under relentless pressure like he should have been.

Our defence was ok with both full backs trying to get forward in support of our two wingers who had the beating of their defenders.

The deficiencies in our midfield gave Blackpool respite and let them off the hook as Barton, looked a bit off the pace and Smith might as well not have been there. Try as I might, I fail to see what Nolans role in the team is as he is ineffective in midfield and completely immobile up front with only the perfect ball to feet able to find him.

Carrolls body language said it all as time after time his suberbly won flick ons wastefully drifted past our flat footed skipper.

Poor substitutions made too late ensured the team lost shape and gave the otherwise impressive Ben Arfa a debut to forget.

If any good is to come out of this disastrous defeat it is the final reckoning that Smith and Nolan will surely now have to now make way for reserves bolstered by the signing of our two new internationals.

Blackpool were absolutely worthy of their win. More shots and possession ffs, we were at home against a side everyone expects to go down following a 6-0 win, what did you expect them to do, come at us?

I could agree if Gilks had been making wondersaves but most of them were either routine or very savable - if an established Premier League keeper had made those saves rather than a top flight rookie, they wouldn't even have got a mention. Shay Given would make two or three better saves than that every week when he was here.

Our finishing was dreadful and we made it easy for him. We had at least three one-on-ones and yet the closest we came to scoring was a header from our centre half.

Incidentally Blackpool have bagged two away wins already. I wonder how long it will be till we are able to say that? 2011 I'm guessing.

They're playing the way a lot of promoted teams do when they first come up - without fear. Hull did it brilliantly when they came up and more or less had the points that kept them up by the end of November. These teams just go out and enjoy themselves, carrying their momentum from the play-offs with them and, importantly, initially play the same way they do at home when they go away.

We will of course go away from home and play like frightened kittens. I hate the whole attitude to home and away games, it's become accepted now that teams can cower in their shells away from home. Yes, there is a difference but it's mainly psychological therefore deliberately going out with a different attitude is shooting yourself in the foot before you've even started, you should actually be trying to approach the game in the same way mentally.

At the end of the day, it's still 22 blokes kicking a ball round a field, the way folk go on you'd think they play different rules depending on whether you're in Newcastle or Wigan.