Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

How far do you think we could go with them? Barton's the only one at a push I could see in a top 6 side.

At the risk of repeating myself, it's not about that.

Just because you bring in a better player, doesn't mean there is a need to get rid of Nolan. Especially with two years of his contract still to go. It just doesn't make sense.

So it's worth keeping a player on approx £40k a week, who'd play what, 12-15 games a season hopefully, just because he's good to have around the place?

Total misunderstanding of how football works from people on here like. It's a team game, not a computer game where you can sign a load of foreigners, throw them on the field and expect it to just work.

:thup:

It's pathetic how easy some shrug this off really.

Pretty bad sale given that Nolan was effectively a combination of Abraham Lincoln, Mahatma Ghandi, Winston Churchill, Julius Cesar, Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandella, Napoleon, Salah ad Din, Joan of Arc, Ghenghis Khan, Albert Einstein, and Jabba the Hut in the dressing room. He was like the female pre-cog in Minority Report. Without him the other two pre-cogs (Smith and Barton) are useless, as he was the brains of the operation, the hive mind they fed off. Now we have no hope without Nolan to guide the way and show the other players how to do things like stay fit - a true leader by example he was. What are our players to do now? They will be lost. They won't know how to kick a ball. It's impossible for them to function - the hive mind has gone.

:weep:

Pitiful. :lol:

Total misunderstanding of how football works from people on here like. It's a team game, not a computer game where you can sign a load of foreigners, throw them on the field and expect it to just work.

I think the vast majority of people recognise Nolan's importance off the field.

Yep. We offered him a contract, he won't want to stay just to be an off the field role model.

Pretty bad sale given that Nolan was effectively a combination of Abraham Lincoln, Mahatma Ghandi, Winston Churchill, Julius Cesar, Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandella, Napoleon, Salah ad Din, Joan of Arc, Ghenghis Khan, Albert Einstein, and Jabba the Hut in the dressing room. He was like the female pre-cog in Minority Report. Without him the other two pre-cogs (Smith and Barton) are useless, as he was the brains of the operation, the hive mind they fed off. Now we have no hope without Nolan to guide the way and show the other players how to do things like stay fit - a true leader by example he was. What are our players to do now? They will be lost. They won't know how to kick a ball. It's impossible for them to function - the hive mind has gone.

:weep:

RTG eat your heart out.  bluelaugh.gif

Amazing the over-reaction yet again like.

The number of systems, first XIs, etc. I've seen on here for next season, can't recall many including Nolan's name.

We've got 10 weeks to sign another central-midfielder to replace him. Panic....

I tend to agree with this. Lets see, then judge.

The club were always going to come out of this situation looking the bad guys and I've no doubt they could've done more but Nolan has just asked for a 5 year extension to his deal :lol:

And? He still had two years to go on his current deal. There was no need to do anything until next Summer at least.

That's debatable, surely, either Nolan was asking for an extension now or the club would be reluctant to let his contract run down and reduce his value further.

This time next year he might be completely useless as a footballer as well, not impossible given his condition now.

But what does it matter? He's our player regardless. There's no difference to giving him an extension now and in 12 months time.

Unless he wants one now or he'll seek career security by signing a longer deal somewhere else.

Obviously we could force him to stay even in those circumstances, but we obviously won't.

Craig Gardner would be a massive upgrade on Nolan.

Craig Gardner would be no more than a sideways step in terms of ability.

He has more to his game than Nolan, also is fairly young.

exactly, people on here are getting so excited about wonder scout Carr going and buying a dozen new Tiote's while not bothering to think about what might happen if they don't all adapt to English football as well as he has

The club were always going to come out of this situation looking the bad guys and I've no doubt they could've done more but Nolan has just asked for a 5 year extension to his deal :lol:

And? He still had two years to go on his current deal. There was no need to do anything until next Summer at least.

That's debatable, surely, either Nolan was asking for an extension now or the club would be reluctant to let his contract run down and reduce his value further.

This time next year he might be completely useless as a footballer as well, not impossible given his condition now.

But what does it matter? He's our player regardless. There's no difference to giving him an extension now and in 12 months time.

Unless he wants one now or he'll seek career security by signing a longer deal somewhere else.

Obviously we could force him to stay even in those circumstances, but we obviously won't.

Would he have been the same influence about the place knowing we didn't want to give him a long-term deal as well?

How far do you think we could go with them? Barton's the only one at a push I could see in a top 6 side.

Just because you bring in a better player, doesn't mean there is a need to get rid of Nolan. Especially with two years of his contract still to go. It just doesn't make sense.

So it's worth keeping a player on approx £40k a week, who'd play what, 12-15 games a season hopefully, just because he's good to have around the place?

And I said that where exactly? I keep forgetting he wasn't the highest scoring English midfielder in the Premier League last term.

Strength in depth man.

But we don't have Craig Gardner. And until we do, we shouldn't think of selling Nolan.

We've already had our hopes dashed by Gervinho and Gameiro, let's not start putting yet another player who isn't coming here into lineups and claiming we've improved our squad when we've done no such thing.

It's sad to see him go, but at the end of the day, we're cashing in on an aging player who is likely on a big wage. NUFC is bigger than our captain. I'm not too worried about it.

Coloccini and Barton next then.  £$€  :smitten:

Nolan is hardly old at 28

And I said that where exactly? I keep forgetting he wasn't the highest scoring English midfielder in the Premier League last term.

Strength in depth man.

So why keep an aging player who's not going to be first-choice when he's on big wages if it's not what you were meaning?

And as for the 12 goals thing, that was brilliant but I doubt he'd have repeated that again. At a similar age Don Hutchison was banging them in from a similar role for a season at the Mackems, don't think he did anything after that (ironically his career started to go downhill after a move to West Ham not long after that I believe)

looks like he's 35 and plays like a 40 year old though. Imagine that in 2 years time?

But we don't have Craig Gardner. And until we do, we shouldn't think of selling Nolan.

We've already had our hopes dashed by Gervinho and Gameiro, let's not start putting yet another player who isn't coming here into lineups and claiming we've improved our squad when we've done no such thing.

We're not interested in that Gardner bloke. Would be a horrible switch.

He's about as fit as a 58 year old though, tbf.

looks like he's 35 and plays like a 40 year old though. Imagine that in 2 years time?

how many 40 year old midfielders do you know of who have scored 12 goals in the premier league?

The so called spine of the team is being torn from the team with the sale of Nolan and probable exits of Barton and Enrique.  This reminds me of mad Gullit when he didn't give Rob Lee a number, peddled Stuart Pearce and alienated senior members of the squad and we all remember how well that went.