Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

He said he wanted 'goalscorers on the pitch'. May aswell have played 10 strikers from the off then, if it's that simple.

he wanted goalscoreres on the pitch so keeps on a player who'd shown nothing in that game and played him deeper ? makes sense now. :idiot2:

He said he wanted 'goalscorers on the pitch'. May aswell have played 10 strikers from the off then, if it's that simple.

he wanted goalscoreres on the pitch so keeps on a player who'd shown nothing in that game and played him deeper ? makes sense now. :idiot2:

Exactly, it's flawed logic.

What is also worrying is the fact chris seems incapable of subbing nolan off never mind dropping him.

that was infuriating on sunday more than at any other time.

Aye, was killing me. That, still starting perch and his questionable subs has me worried for chris (and us)

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Kevin-Nolan-has-slammed-critics-of-the-Newcastle-boss-Chris-Hughton-s-tactics-article589693.html

Kevin Nolan has told critics of Newcaste boss Chris Hughton’s tactics to stop moaning.

Home defeats to Stoke and Blackpool were caused by mistakes, not the 4-5-1 formation says the Toon skipper.

“We were brilliant at Everton and nobody moaned about playing 4-5-1 then,” said Nolan. “We let sloppy goals in and suddenly the formation is being questioned. We’ve come unstuck because of two badly defended set-pieces.

“The formation wasn’t the problem, the little mistakes at set-pieces were. That has to be a massive lesson for us because we can’t afford to give away sloppy goals.

“There is a lot of disappointment around after the Stoke defeat, but if you defend set-pieces badly you’ll get punished in this league.”

“We were brilliant at Everton and nobody moaned about playing 4-5-1 then,” said Nolan. “We let sloppy goals in and suddenly the formation is being questioned. We’ve come unstuck because of two badly defended set-pieces.

“The formation wasn’t the problem, the little mistakes at set-pieces were. That has to be a massive lesson for us because we can’t afford to give away sloppy goals.

“There is a lot of disappointment around after the Stoke defeat, but if you defend set-pieces badly you’ll get punished in this league.”

What worries me about that diatribe is that Hughton and Nolan are both singing from the same hymn sheet. Instead of deflecting the blame onto the defending of set pieces, maybe the manager and captain could ask why Stoke were allowed to push us back into areas where we would give away free kicks in dangerous positions in the first place? Why didn't we keep a high line and press forward because their lumbering forwards were hardly going to get in behind us?

I think it's just a matter of time for him now. The Journal are suggesting that CH doesn't think Ben Arfa is ready to take the playmaker role due to language barriers and not being used to the league but he may well do in the (hopefully near) future. If it doesn't keep on going well for Nolan, he'll be dropped to CM in my opinion and then he'll get found out there as well. It's all a matter of time.

I think it's just a matter of time for him now. The Journal are suggesting that CH doesn't think Ben Arfa is ready to take the playmaker role due to language barriers and not being used to the league but he may well do in the (hopefully near) future. If it doesn't keep on going well for Nolan, he'll be dropped to CM in my opinion and then he'll get found out there as well. It's all a matter of time.

You make a fine point - the problem with that is that if Nolan is moved to central midfield in place of Barton (instead of onto the bench, or into the stands) it will be even more costly to the team than playing him in the hole.

Right now Nolan's deficiencies are blunting our attack - in central midfield those deficiencies will cost us goals because of increased pressure on our defence.

Having said that, am I the only person who thought he looked (marginally) better against Stoke in the middle rather than in the hole? (And my better I mean 5/10 as opposed to 4/10)?

Guest neesy111

It had better only be a matter of time. He needs to be on the bench by November tbf

November?  Could be too late by then to be honest.

Hughton in today's Journal re-iterates how important he thinks Nolan is to the side. He cites the fact that is was Nolan who had our best chance of an equaliser on Sunday. He misses the point though that in his last two games at home, Nolans contributions have amassed a penalty and a shanked shot that he should have buried.

Interesting to see that Hughton has felt the need to specifically come out and defend Nolan. Would appear he's aware of the criticism, at least.

I just hope it's a case of a manager defending his player rather than Hughton actually believing that Nolan has contributed anything of note in the last few games. I like Hughton, it would be a shame if his promise as a long term manager for us was ruined by some sort of loyalty to a shite footballer like Kevin Nolan.

Fact is we'll never be anything other than a poor side as long as Kevin Nolan is a regular starter for us, and the sooner Hughton cops onto this the better for Newcastle United.

Guest johnson293

Interesting to see that Hughton has felt the need to specifically come out and defend Nolan. Would appear he's aware of the criticism, at least.

I just hope it's a case of a manager defending his player rather than Hughton actually believing that Nolan has contributed anything of note in the last few games. I like Hughton, it would be a shame if his promise as a long term manager for us was ruined by some sort of loyalty to a journeyman footballer like Kevin Nolan.

Fact is we'll never be anything other than a poor side as long as Kevin Nolan is a regular starter for us, and the sooner Hughton cops onto this the better for Newcastle United.

Does 2 clubs in an 11/12 year career (so far) constitute a 'journeyman footballer' these days??  :dowie:

I just hope it's a case of a manager defending his player rather than Hughton actually believing that Nolan has contributed anything of note in the last few games. I like Hughton, it would be a shame if his promise as a long term manager for us was ruined by some sort of loyalty to a journeyman footballer like Kevin Nolan.

Nae offence Shak, but you should stick to the NFL threads if this is the type of analysis and contribution you bring to the football threads ;) If you like Hughton, then give him chance to prove his judgement, no matter how wild it seems to the armchair supporters on here, is actually beneficial for NUFC.

I though the knee-jerk chopping and changing had gone out when we got relegated? Hughton has built his team through consistency and allowing players to grow into the team. I'm not a massive fan of people banging on for change, when it's often for changes sake. 

Nae offence Shak, but you should stick to the NFL threads if this is the type of analysis and contribution you bring to the football threads ;) If you like Hughton, then give him chance to prove his judgement, no matter how wild it seems to the armchair supporters on here, is actually beneficial for NUFC.

I though the knee-jerk chopping and changing had gone out when we got relegated? Hughton has built his team through consistency and allowing players to grow into the team. I'm not a massive fan of people banging on for change, when it's often for changes sake. 

In this case it's calling for change because change is desperately needed, Kevin Nolan is holding us back at the moment. He needs to be benched as soon as possible.

2 Wins, 1 Draw, 3 Defeats from our opening 6 games, which has included 2 away trips to the NW (historically, 0pts) and a trip to Molineux (historically, a shithole).

All this from a newly promoted club, who had zero capital outlay over the transfer window.

IMO, the team is performing quite well but needs to find some consistency.