Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Getting rid of him felt like an unnecessary gamble.

We can be pleased that luckily it payed off.

Who'd have thought our midfield would look so much better by replacing Nolan with a player who can run, tackle and pass?

I also meant we could very well have signed someone and kept Nolan too.

Pards said Nolan didn't want to sign as a back-up player, which he clearly would have become this season.

We did well selling him.

Also think to have had him on the bench, with his stature and reputation, would have meant him being brought on at the expense of arguably better players who could change a game. That said, I really would like to see some defensive 'back-up' on the bench in Jan. We've a lot of players who could win us a game, but very few who could help us see a game out if necessary.

I haven't seen him yet but I believe Abeid's going to be given the understudy role for Tiote.

Was very promising when I saw him at Forest, I thought. Very neat and tidy. There's certainly potential there and hopefully a lot more to come from him.

After a home defeat tonight.

this guy is our weak link, and has been all season ............. this isnt cricket, where you can carry a player for his captaincy skills .......and sadly, you get the impression that hes undroppable in BFS eyes :?

Couldn't agree with you more. Not once did I see him gee up the squad. Captaincy skills ? Maybe in the dressing room but certainly not on the pitch - leaders normally lead !!

He's not fit is? Or has he always been this slow and lazy?

Of the games I have seen him live - Cardiff, Leeds, Millwall, Portsmouth, Peterborough and Ipswich he has been quite bad in all of those; looked miles off the pace and like he was playing in no mans land.

Keeps berating other players when he is making the mistakes.

How is it possible though? Hes played every minute of every game?! If its not injury related there should be no excuses for not being physically fit enough

He was no where to be seen again. How many more games are we going to give him....

I did a 15 minute 'Nolan watch' tonight following some of the comments on this thread. I was surprised at how immobile he was and how he spent much of that time walking around the pitch.

Long and short of it is if this bloke isn't scoring goals he is contributing nothing.

Granted he is a great captain but he is a passenger at the moment.

Without commenting on his footballing ability, since when did shouting at others, pointing, kicking advertising hoardings or mimicking the opposition keeper, make you a good captain and an inspirational leader?

Steve Potts did none of the above. What he did do, was lead by example. Perhaps something that Nolan should start concentrating on...?

He has been rubbish for us this season, certainly looks fat and unable to control a football.

i agree we sold at the right time and alot of comments in this thread, but the West Ham fans seem to have a notion that a captain should charge round the pitch and shout alot to be a good captain...i wonder who their ex-captain was?...

:lol:

I was concerned about Nolan ages before most were, and got quite a tongue lashing for it at the time. The guy is inexcusably unfit and we were unbeleivably fortunate to have Tiote come in last season and perform so outstandingly all year, with no ACN to worry about too. I honestly don't believe we would have stayed up otherwise.

So happy, Pardew and the owners were strong enough to get rid of him. The argument that his goals won us games was never valid for me. This is because in my eyes he made the team far more vulnerable to conceding goals, and moreover his lack of contribution to build up play, meant that we likely created far less scoring moves/chances.

Very happy he's someone else's problem. He is on a huge 5 year contract at West Ham, and they will regret it massively. No amount of vibrating plates or ice baths will bring that body of his back to life.

I was concerned about Nolan ages before most were, and got quite a tongue lashing for it at the time. The guy is inexcusably unfit and we were unbeleivably fortunate to have Tiote come in last season and perform so outstandingly all year, with no ACN to worry about too. I honestly don't believe we would have stayed up otherwise.

So happy, Pardew and the owners were strong enough to get rid of him. The argument that his goals won us games was never valid for me. This is because in my eyes he made the team far more vulnerable to conceding goals, and moreover his lack of contribution to build up play, meant that we likely created far less scoring moves/chances.

Very happy he's someone else's problem. He is on a huge 5 year contract at West Ham, and they will regret it massively. No amount of vibrating plates or ice baths will bring that body of his back to life.

There is that saying, "Goals wins you games" though ;)

Valid enough argument like.

Even though statistically it was correct?

Even though statistically it was correct?

Preston away comes to mind immediately...

As I've said before, I can see him being way too far into his comfort zone there with that manager, his status after taking us up and scoring loads, being a big signing for them etc etc.

True. But, those comments mimic ours from the Championship season entirely. If they do come up, they're gonna need their own Tioté next year.

As I've said before, I can see him being way too far into his comfort zone there with that manager, his status after taking us up and scoring loads, being a big signing for them etc etc.

Probably haven't said it (certainly not on here), but I've thought that myself a few times. Can see him not really being arsed to do more than what is just necessary, which is the complete opposite of the feeling I got from him here, that he wanted to show what he could do and keep proving himself.

How many has he scored for them so far?

2 in 9.

Just had a look at Nolan's record at around this point in the season when we were in the Championship, 5 in 9 for us. The 9th game was when he scored a hat trick against Ipswich.

Those quotes are like a look into the past from on here, very interesting reading. He managed to turn it around here, of course, but he was shocking in those first months after signing in particular.

Sounds exactly like his time here, except he scored for us.

He didn't have a 5 yr contract behind him when he was with us. Having said that I still think he'll do ok for West Ham over the season. His job is just to be a fat midfielder who turns up in the right areas to score goals. If any manager can get him to do that in the championship surely it has to be Big Sam.

Those quotes are like a look into the past from on here, very interesting reading. He managed to turn it around here, of course, but he was shocking in those first months after signing in particular.

I try to forget his first six months here tbh, he (and the rest of the team, tbf) was so fucking bad then. Even when he didn't score for us last season, he wasn't anywhere near as bad as that.

shifting Nolan is probably the most impressive thing Pardew's done so far. most unimaginative managers would stick with someone who offers proven, dependable and consistent qualities, and it's a massive risk to shift such a player and get an untested bloke in to replace him. yet Best and Ba seem to replaced his goals and the team's spirit has survived.

Nolan's the kind of player middling managers stick with though thick and thin, long after fans have turned on them, what one might call a "proper player" if you will.