Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Another point about Nolan at West Ham. I don't think he will ever be as effective over there, as Sam only plays one striker up front, and so it is more difficult for Nolan to ghost in late, and unmarked. However, they don't have the luxury of a Tiote, and so can't play Nolan in a two man midfield, with two strikers in the team. Not a good situation for them at all. Just further emphasizes how clueless fat Sam is in my opinion.

shifting Nolan is probably the most impressive thing Pardew's done so far. most unimaginative managers would stick with someone who offers proven, dependable and consistent qualities, and it's a massive risk to shift such a player and get an untested bloke in to replace him. yet Best and Ba seem to replaced his goals and the team's spirit has survived.

Nolan's the kind of player middling managers stick with though thick and thin, long after fans have turned on them, what one might call a "proper player" if you will.

You talk as if Pardew actually had a say in this sale

shifting Nolan is probably the most impressive thing Pardew's done so far. most unimaginative managers would stick with someone who offers proven, dependable and consistent qualities, and it's a massive risk to shift such a player and get an untested bloke in to replace him. yet Best and Ba seem to replaced his goals and the team's spirit has survived.

Nolan's the kind of player middling managers stick with though thick and thin, long after fans have turned on them, what one might call a "proper player" if you will.

I honestly reckon Pardew actively encouraged the removal of Nolan for somebody more dynamic. I know there's others on here who suspected he was never a fan months earlier.

in an ideal world i think Pardew would've kept him around, but i don't think he'd have been a first team player any more.

I honestly reckon Pardew actively encouraged the removal of Nolan for somebody more dynamic. I know there's others on here who suspected he was never a fan months earlier.

I recall an interview with Pardew towards the end of last season where he said he had given a list of players to be moved on to the board and a second list of players for whom we should consider any offers.  I thought then that Nolan and Barton would be on that second list.

Keeps berating other players when he is making the mistakes.

Without commenting on his footballing ability, since when did shouting at others, pointing, kicking advertising hoardings or mimicking the opposition keeper, make you a good captain and an inspirational leader?

Steve Potts did none of the above. What he did do, was lead by example. Perhaps something that Nolan should start concentrating on...?

Those two posts are bang on the money for me. I've never understood this "great leadership" bollocks that seem to have sprung up overnight with him. Score a few goals, babysit a colleague, give a few media interviews sucking up to the fans, shout at players when you make a mistake, and you're a great leader on the pitch...supposedly. The "lead by example" comment is the most pertinent, that FA Cup game against Stevenage was a perfect example of just how crap a "leader" Nolan was with his head down and his disappearing act. If anything, Barton stepped up to the plate and tried to egg the team on whilst Nolan was walking around knackered on the half way line for most of that game - I'd say that Joey was far more of a leader on the pitch than Nolan ever was (and a far better player too).

Re: the shouting at others, I've always thought he was a bit of a c*** on the pitch, and wouldn't be suprised at all if a good number of players actually hated him in private, as that's the natural reaction in any job when you get someone less competent who decides to mask their flaws by just being loud and aggressive. Can imagine the more athletic players running around putting in 100% not taking kindly to Nolan getting red-faced and barking at them from his on-pitch managerial dugout (the centre circle) whilst doing literally nothing all game. Of course noone would ever admit to that in public, as the captain is always a "great leader" no matter who it is (I'm betting the same lines will be trotted out for Coloccini, who's exceptionally quiet).

Nevertheless, he'll most likely still be a very good signing for them come the end of the season when they're promoted. In truth, the ridiculous contract they've given him is a small price to pay if they get back into the Premiership straight away, especially with their impending stadium move.

looked miles off the pace and like he was playing in no mans land.

Keeps berating other players when he is making the mistakes.

Interesting reading the comments from the West Ham fans, this one is spot on.  These were my two main gripes with him. 

Still, RKO is right, should try and remember him for the good times.

Rather not remember him for his limited abilities, rather remember him for his hat trick against the Mackems. No point slagging him off now, we've moved on, remember the good times.

Bang on. I wasnt his biggest fan, but he is gone now, we have moved on as has he. Like you say, lets remember him for being the Mackem Slayer that he was.

I always thought Nolan's technical skills were of a Premier league standard. His first touch, short passing and ball retention were all pretty decent in my eyes. I can't say I saw him often give away possession cheaply anyway. It's (obviously) his physical attributes that are of a lower pub league player that limited him.

Really? It's unusual for a player to completely go, keep a player a year 'too late' and he will more than likely be decent enough to come off bench and add depth to the squad worst comes to worst. Getting rid of a player while they have talent still to burn damages team more.

That said don't miss Nolan atm. May if we get a lot of injuries.