Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi
CaulkinTheTimes George Caulkin

Gutierrez, happy as Larry (whoever he is) at #NUFC, but hopes to play in Italy before ending his career.

CaulkinTheTimes George Caulkin

Gutierrez has 2 years left on contract, but club are anticipating bids for him this summer. Will be interesting to see how they respond ...

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/05/14/jonas-gutierrez-s-future-is-clouded-in-doubt-61634-28692381/

Jonas Gutierrez's future is clouded in doubt

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

May 14 2011

The Three Amigos have been vital to Newcastle United’s renaissance but, with Jose Enrique expected to announce his intention to leave as soon as the season ends, will Jonas Gutierrez follow his lead? Chief sports reporter Luke Edwards reports.

Jonas Gutierrez

JONAS Gutierrez is happy at Newcastle United, comfortable with life in the Premier League, settled and content on Tyneside – but you still have the feeling he could leave this summer.

It is an impression the Argentinian is keen to avoid, yet it is not one he can completely disguise.

With two years left on his contract at St James’ Park, the 27-year-old from Beunos Aires is not agitating for a move, but his feet are starting to itch.

It is only a small sensation, a minor irritation and distraction, but as his third year at St James’ Park draws to a largely successful conclusion, Guiterrez cannot help but wonder where he goes from here.

There has been no talk of a new contract at Newcastle and, with his close friend Jose Enrique still behaving like a player who intends to move on in the next transfer window – talks have still not started to extend a deal which expires in 13 months time, even though the Magpies have been safe from relegation for more than a fortnight – it is perhaps inevitable Gutierrez has also started to think about what happens next.

Footballers are hired help and, while there has been nothing mercenary about his attitude since he arrived from Real Mallorca, Guiterrez has unfulfilled ambitions as both a player and a man before he hangs up his boots and heads home to South America.

Like most players at this time of year, he is just assessing his options, but should a bid come from an Italian club this summer there is definitely a chance he will ask Newcastle to accept it.

The winger, who may also discover Alan Pardew does not see him as first choice in his position next season, said: “When I was young, I always wanted to play in the English league and I am really happy to be here and am enjoying it.

“I prefer playing my football here than Spain, it is more competitive although not necessarily better.

“The Spanish, English and Italian leagues are all good in their own right, just different.

“I would love to play in Italy. It would be good to go back to Argentina in a few years and say I have played in the best three leagues in the world.

“That would be a great achievement for me.

“I do not care about that right now, it is something for the future, not an immediate priority.

“If I have the opportunity in the future, I might want to try it to see how I fared there, but I am not thinking about that now, maybe later.

“All I am thinking about is that I am really happy in this league.

“More and more Argentinians are coming to play in England because they know it is the best, just like they have done in Italy for years. I am 27 but have not really got it mapped it.

“I am enjoying my career and am not thinking too much about the future.

“What I can say is I want to play a few more years in Europe before returning home.

“I had three years in Spain, have had three here and have got another two years here and am really happy, but you never know what might happen.”

Should he leave this summer, Gutierrez could do so with his head held high.

Although his first season ended in relegation, he stayed to put things right and, while his final ball lets him down too often, only Wigan’s Charles N’Zogbia has more successful dribbles in the Premier League and his energy down the left flank is vital to the way the team plays.

From Newcastle’s point of view he is one of the top earners and a replacement might be more economical, while Pardew’s attitude towards him has been mixed in the six months he has been manager.

At best, Gutierrez's position is uncertain.

He added: “I am very happy how the season has gone for me.

“ I have tried to do my best and improve my game and I think I have done that.

“I suppose I had something to prove both to myself and everyone else this season because in my first season here we were relegated.

“It is harder for players to come from abroad, but I have never been too worried.

“I am happy about what I am doing in the Premier League. Here in England, it is more competitive than in Spain.

“There are only two teams which can win La Liga, but here it is much closer and more strength in depth.

“The Premier League is stronger and tougher because there are more teams competing for top spot and more teams can beat each other.

“From my own point of view, Spain is tough because teams defend with a lot more players.

“Here there is a bit more space to play, that is the big difference you find as a winger. They are both hard leagues, they just are different.”

Gutierrez, like Joey Barton and skipper Kevin Nolan – possibly even Enrique – may also be waiting to see what sort of player Newcastle try to sign.

With £35m from the sale of Andy Carroll to boost their transfer kitty, this is a pivotal summer for the Magpies.

He explained: “To do well for next season, we have to have a stronger squad.

“This year we have had problems with a lot of injuries and at times it has been a real struggle getting points.

“That cannot happen next season, not at a club like Newcastle.”

What rubbish "journalism". As ever, the quotes don't even nearly match the headline.

To be fair, it's the editor who usually come up with the headlines rather than the journalist who wrote the article. Sensationalist, eye catching headlines to grab the attention.

The stuff from Caulkin above is quite telling.  If they accept bids I'll be quite upset.  Losing him and Enrique would mean the loss of some of the experience and stabilty that has been so fundamental in us staying up.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If we sell him, it'll be a must to sign N'Zogbia.

I want them both in the same midfield, tbh.

Aye smartass who doesn't? The thing is if he does leave, then I'd rather we signed N'Zogbia who is PL proven then some other unproven or shit winger.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Aye smartass who doesn't? The thing is if he does leave, then I'd rather we signed N'Zogbia who is PL proven then some other unproven or shit winger.

Yes he would be a proven replacement , but I still want them to play together! :lol:

Guest Chubby Jason

I wouldn't be bothered about him going if I had any confidence that the funds from his transfer would be reinvested.