Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

I'm pretty convinced now that Gutierrez fans are people who usually watch the game on telly, and those who don't like him as much and talk about faults are those who are watching the game at the stadium.

Soopafan.

Witty Retort Master.  :razz:

2nd time is the charm. Played well tonight & you know it as much as it'll kill you to admit.

I know he's got quite a few faults, maybe his crossing especially, but I think the job he does for our team is very much needed... and I just like him because he's exciting on the ball and works hard.

What do you consider as 'works hard'? Honest question, find it interesting how people approach the term.

He seems a high-energy player to me. When he's on the ball, he bursts forward with and it tries to commit defenders, when we're defending he generally tracks back well.

I think his physical presence is underrated and most defenders don't quite know how to handle him. If we had genuine attacking options elsewhere in the midfield I think he would perform even better without so much double marking.

Agree. Have been saying for a while that we would really miss him as an outlet and the work he does tracking back is superb. Once we have Ben Arfa in there I think this will open up more space for him too. Once he gets a run at people he is very, very dangerous.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm pretty convinced now that Gutierrez fans are people who usually watch the game on telly, and those who don't like him as much and talk about faults are those who are watching the game at the stadium.

Soopafan.

Witty Retort Master.  :razz:

2nd time is the charm. Played well tonight & you know it as much as it'll kill you to admit.

Said it several times he played well.  :harry:

The "people watching him at the stadium" argument is ridiculous and not worthy of you :lol: What a silly thing to say.

He definitely works hard IMO. He has pace which he often uses. Few players in our side have pace, let alone use it - so sometimes when he has to catch his breath back he looks lazy compared to everyone else, but overall he's covering more ground than most IMO and definitely pitching in with his defensive duties.

I saw him a few times taking breathers today and knew he'd catch flak from people about it later.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The "people watching him at the stadium" argument is ridiculous and not worthy of you :lol: What a silly thing to say.

He definitely works hard IMO. He has pace which he often uses. Few players in our side have pace, let alone use it - so sometimes when he has to catch his breath back he looks lazy compared to everyone else, but overall he's covering more ground than most IMO and definitely pitching in with his defensive duties.

I saw him a few times taking breathers today and knew he'd catch flak from people about it later.

Was a daft way to say it to be honest. Just meant that I think the TV viewing might make him appear better then he actually is at times. His tracking back today was only once Enrique held up O'Shea, which I can imagine doesn't look half as bad on the telly compared at the ground where you see O'Shea burn 10 yards a head of Gutierrez, who doesn't start to run until Enrique has held up O'Shea.

He worked his bollocks off the night man. Carried us forward and tracked back to help out José over and over again.

He did.

Agreed. Yes, he doesn't follow his man every time, show me a winger that does. He is far better than most in the league at getting back and putting a shift in, which, due to his often lack of ability in the final third he needs to do.

I know he's got quite a few faults, maybe his crossing especially, but I think the job he does for our team is very much needed... and I just like him because he's exciting on the ball and works hard.

What do you consider as 'works hard'? Honest question, find it interesting how people approach the term.

He seems a high-energy player to me. When he's on the ball, he bursts forward with and it tries to commit defenders, when we're defending he generally tracks back well.

I think his physical presence is underrated and most defenders don't quite know how to handle him. If we had genuine attacking options elsewhere in the midfield I think he would perform even better without so much double marking.

The only thing that seems to have dropped off a bit is his running along the line off the ball to receive a pass from Enrique. Not sure if I'm imagining that, but I'm sure he used to do it more.

Agree with pretty much all of that. Jonas plays at a high tempo and covers a lot of ground. He makes a lot of runs into spaces which takes a lot out of a player. I'm sure he could just meander through games on the peripheral like Guthrie but he does a good job at giving us an outlet for me.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He worked his bollocks off the night man. Carried us forward and tracked back to help out José over and over again.

He did.

Agreed. Yes, he doesn't follow his man every time, show me a winger that does.

Park.  :razz:

Was a daft way to say it to be honest. Just meant that I think the TV viewing might make him appear better then he actually is at times. His tracking back today was only once Enrique held up O'Shea, which I can imagine doesn't look half as bad on the telly compared at the ground where you see O'Shea burn 10 yards a head of Gutierrez, who doesn't start to run until Enrique has held up O'Shea.

See, I kind of know what you mean now.  Don't know if it's something you can apply to Jonas generally, mind.  Been at the match loads of times when he's been relentlessly buzzing about, arguably too much at times in terms of him not conserving his energy.  He's certainly not a 'stand around with your hands on your hips' type of player, ever, anyway.

Fair enough :thup: Having played on the wing, I appreciate how difficult/exhausting it can be going from corner flag to corner flag (even on a 5-a side pitch! :laugh:) and you do have to ration out your intensive running - I'm sure Jonas just trusts Enrique to handle most things, and pitches out if the opposition tries to double team him. Otherwise, he leaves himself available for the counter :dontknow:

Either way, I'm personally happy with his engine/stamina/defensive contribution

He did.

Agreed. Yes, he doesn't follow his man every time, show me a winger that does.

Park.  :razz:

Foiled! :angry:

When I say MOTM, I wasn't including the defensive duties that other people were adding in. I wasn't particularly impressed with his defending. Barely noticed him at the back apart from a few interceptions. But I feel his attacking threat more than made up for it.

Guest pleno1

Giggs/Nani/Valencia didn't get a sniff when they were attacking down the right, he and Enrique are just so powerful/determined/quick that it must be a nightmare trying to get past.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/apr/20/alan-pardew-newcastle-united

About this time two years ago Alan Shearer was patrolling Newcastle United's home technical area. Unaware that snatches of his conversation could be overheard, the former England captain once memorably, and scathingly, slated Jonas Gutiérrez's crossing ability.

Twenty four months on the Argentinian winger, now urged on by another manager called Alan, surged repeatedly down the left wing against Manchester United but this time the touchline mood music sounded considerably more approving.

Direct, dangerous, strong, speedy and, above all, largely accurate when it came to delivery, Gutiérrez created some decent first-half chances, won free-kicks and gave John O'Shea a night to remember for mostly uncomfortable reasons.

Although still erratic at times he has improved beyond all measure since that deconstruction by Shearer as Newcastle headed for a season in the Championship. A big part of the credit for this renaissance belongs to Chris Hughton but Gutiérrez's game appears to have been sharpened under Alan Pardew's quietly convincing management.

You can tell Ben Arfa is close to full fitness, Jonas is playing well again.

:lol:

Said it in the match thread and it's bloody true!  He did exactly the same when Ben Arfa joined and was close to the first team.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

You can tell Ben Arfa is close to full fitness, Jonas is playing well again.

:lol:

Said it in the match thread and it's bloody true!  He did exactly the same when Ben Arfa joined and was close to the first team.

He was a man possessed at Man City away this season.