Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Found another, more detailed, Argie article:

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1727744-el-duro-momento-de-jonas-gutierrez-que-pelea-contra-una-enfermedad

Says Colo knew, and has supported him greatly. He's also kept it a secret to most people, even saying to friends that he had shaved his head "because of a bet".

Just read it, hits hard realizing it reached the stage of chemo. Nowadays the awareness of testicular cancer is so good that it's usually found out at early stages...

Says he talked to the club and it was his choice to face it on his own, since he preferred to come to Argentina where he could talk to doctors in Spanish, etc...

Has one chemo session left and then two months of recovery. He's pretty calm and optimistic, so seems everything is going ok.

Says he had some of his sperm frozen before the op, since he still wants to have children.

Contrarily to what some of the articles say, he found out the cancer had affected his nodes during this summer, not while playing for Norwich.

He kept it secret from almost everybody, claiming that he had shaved his head because of a bet, etc... it's taken him a while to be open about it. Cites Colo, Heinze, Demichelis as some of the people that knew and supported him. Colo has visited him often.

Says he talked to the club and it was his choice to face it on his own, since he preferred to come to Argentina where he could talk to doctors in Spanish, etc...

Has one chemo session left and then two months of recovery. He's pretty calm and optimistic, so seems everything is going ok.

Says he had some of his sperm frozen before the op, since he still wants to have children.

Contrarily to what some of the articles say, he found out the cancer had affected his nodes during this summer, not while playing for Norwich.

He kept it secret from almost everybody, claiming that he had shaved his head because of a bet, etc... it's taken him a while to be open about it. Cites Colo, Heinze, Demichelis as some of the people that knew and supported him. Colo has visited him often.

Thanks for that. :thup:

From January: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/norwichs-jonas-gutierrez-newcastle-exit-3029641

“The manager told me in December I was not going to play any more and told me to find myself another club.

“I don’t know why it happened and I still don’t understand what I did wrong.

“There were no rows with Alan Pardew or anything like that. He just said I needed to leave and that was that.

“I honestly don’t know why I wasn’t playing, you will have to ask the manager that. He just made his decision and that was it. Something must have happened – but I don’t know what.”Gutierrez knew the writing was on the wall when he was left out of the FA Cup third round tie against Cardiff.

He admitted: “I was hoping I would get an opportunity in the cup. But instead I was left sitting in the stand. I was not even named in the squad for the game. So after that I knew it was all over for me. For five years before that I had always been in the starting XI. Then suddenly I wasn’t even in the squad.

“I still don’t know why and I don’t think I will ever understand it. It’s how football is and you just have to get on with it.”

What's this about? Is this on the article?

@KHeneage: The caption on one article reporting of Jonas' situation claims #NUFC didn't want anything to do with it. If that's true, I'm speechless.

In the interview Jonás says that it was his decision. He indeed says the club didn't pay a dime, but Jonás says that he "doesn't care about that" (he doesn't seem angry or anything). Imho it looks to me that he wanted to get as few "outer" people involved in it as possible, since he only told very few people about his sickness until this interview.

I think he needs all the support possible and he does not need to be dragged into the fans vs club debate as we don't know the full facts. He's a great bloke and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Lets just keep the protests for the crappy football and ownership reasons.

Horrible to hear this. Jonas was probably one of the players who genuinely truly loved the club and fans up here like HBA. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke at our monster club.

Hope someone gets banners done for Saturday. Owh yeah, fuck off Pardew!

@HEGS_com: Returned late November, and in mid December Pardew told him he'd be better off finding another club, which surprised him.

I've decided to just assume there's a less fucked up explanation here.

Unless Jonas comes out and says something himself, I don't think there's anything much to criticise the club for here. Not at this point anyway. Seems it was kept quiet by everyone which is perfectly understandable.

How he was treated as a player is obviously completely separate.