Drogba at his peak versus Shearer at his peak ('92-'97)

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What have I started?

There's little between them, but today's Drogba guarentees goals and he get the best out of those around him, he creates an astonishing amount of chances/goals for others. He's the most complete striker I've ever seen in the prem. I'd be more tempted to take Henry out of my team.

The other thing, Shearer was a little too reliant on those around him, which is why he was often anonymous away from home.

Definitely true in his latter years with us.

It was awful to watch in Robson's last season as well - our game played seemed to just revolve around hoofing it long to Shearer.

Shearer for me.

Not only could he score from anywhere, but he could pass, he could drift out wide and beat players to put a ball in, he held it up and brought in other players better than Drogba has done.

I disagree Drogba is more rounded and Shearer was just goals, I think Shearer gave more to a team than Drogba ever has.

Shearer survived 3career threatening injuries which is amazement in itself and adapted his game when he needed to i.e. Post 2000.

This si what people forget. I always think if he never got them he could have easily scored another 50 career goals.

Shearer became a Drogba type striker after his injury at Goodison,before that he had everything.Pace,power and lethal with both of his feet and his head.Shearer also made many a goal,I don't believe I've seen a better crosser of the ball.

Drogba is a fine player but not in the same quality as Shearer.

For all those that cant remember his Blackburn days, here's his goals and games LEAGUE record.

21 - 16

40 - 31

42 - 34

35 - 31

That record is astonishing and tells you all you need to know tbh.

Even in his final season (Having wanted to retire a year earlier) He still scored 10 goals. What would we give for someone alongside Carroll that could score 10 goals this season. The season before that he got 19 goals in all comps, hardly a slog. He didnt go on too long, he went on because the fact is we needed him. We had an injured Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi, you cannot criticize him for "going on too long" when in fact we still needed him, the proof of that was that he was our top scorer every season 00-01 until he retired.

Drogba has a few tricks. Shearer was the master of economy; the king of getting the most out of the least fuss. Supporters who are impressed when a player does three million step-over’s tend to believe Shearer lacked skill, when in fact his technique was first class. He just made it look easy. Simplicity is genius.

Spot on tbh O0

Drogba is immense, i really like him as a player.

But Shearer was more effective, simple and lethal at his best.

It's an old arguement, but his 4 league goals from open play from 3O apps in 04-05 tell you everything you need to know about him going on too long. A season later I think he managed about 6.

Anyway, that's all irrelevant in this thread.

At their peak Shearer wins. It's not even a close call for me when I think about it. Both have similar strengths & Drogba is quicker, slightly better in the air and generally more atheletic. However, Shearer was the better finisher, had a better appreciation of space and wouldn't hide in games. His all round game was imo slightly better.

What really separates them is that Shearer was a better leader, was more intimidating to the opposition & never gave up. In short, he was a winner. Drogba lets his own ego get in the way too much which at times leads to letting himself & his team down - he has had at least 2 very damaging sending off's & many other mid game hissy fits. These attributes make all the difference.

SAF was desperate to sign him, I have little doubt who his choice would have been.

The other thing, Shearer was a little too reliant on those around him, which is why he was often anonymous away from home.

I am tempted to give you a "Ronaldo" type response here, but I won't. The title of this thread clearly states '92-'97 your point in only valid post '97. Unless you are arguing that Sutton was carrying him at Blackburn or that their midfield was as good as Chelsea's is now.