Shay Given (now retired)

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can't say I hold too much animosity for Given now. At the time of his departure I was pissed off with him and the board for only getting 5mill for him but it hardly worked out in the long run for him, so guess he got what he deserved. Now he's kind of an irrelevance but I am thankful for his loyal service until that final year.

And to think he was only 34 games away from getting our all time appearances record. He threw that piece of history away for fuck all. It's probably unlikely that anyone will get close to that record now too given how players jump ship so often, so he would have had it for a long time.

Didn't Given refuse to play?

Faked an injury?

I think he did, got his solicitor involved then missed a game/some games through injury before being sold iirc.

Nothing was ever proven.

Where is this 'Diarise for exactly 6 months then reply' function? :lol:

Given was never as great as folk said but he was a top class pro here for 11 years. Very decent human being and a good keeper who deserved far better than to be stuck with cunts like Ashley and Kinnear.

Spot-on.  Every transfer window he was in the paper saying we need to spend some money and every time he was ignored.  Reached his limit in that Liverpool game when he was the best player on the pitch despite conceding 5 goals.

Somehow, magically, managed to wangle himself a move away from the club just when we needed him most. Cheers Shay.

Fuck him.

You must hate Colo, then, dude.

Shay put up with almost half a decade of cunts like Souness, Roeder, Allardyce and Kinnear.

Somehow, magically, managed to wangle himself a move away from the club just when we needed him most. Cheers Shay.

Fuck him.

You must hate Colo, then, dude.

Shay put up with almost half a decade of cunts like Souness, Roeder, Allardyce and Kinnear.

Don't blame him for wanting away, if he's fucked off with things then fair enough.

Why wait until 30th January to formally ask for a transfer though? If he was that unhappy then why didn't he ask to leave right at the start of the window? Got no problem with someone who doesn't want to play for the club but at least leave in the right way, just do it properly. The whole thing smacked of greed and forcing through a move that him and his agent had been planning for fucking weeks.

I judge people by how they react when he chips are down and he couldn't get away quick enough once it looked dodgy. He had every right to move on but I've got every right to think he's a bit a wanker for going about it in the way he did. 

As I say, if he didn't want to play for Newcastle any more then fair enough, it happens. Find it hard to believe that a move to the most affluent club on the continent happens purely by chance and I think he and his agent had it sorted for weeks in advance of the actual move. The fact he hung on, perhaps feigning injury in the process, to collect his 'loyalty' payment before handing in a formal request taints his entire time here imo.

You want out? Fine. Do it the right way, up front and above board. He failed to. Miserably.

Boro  :lol:

As has been said, left when we needed him most and chased the money. Could have been a genuine legend but will be remembered as an idiotic Irish journeyman. Shame.

Yep. Ruined his reputation at the only club who'll give a fuck about him once he hangs up his gloves.

As has been said, left when we needed him most and chased the money. Could have been a genuine legend but will be remembered as an idiotic Irish journeyman. Shame.

Why does it matter that he is Irish? I will always love Given but that is partly due to his performances for Ireland but he was one of the best keepers in the league when he was here and saved us many times. People shouldn't be saying things like he abandoned us when we needed him most without knowing what was going on in the club at the time

Yep. Ruined his reputation at the only club who'll give a f*** about him once he hangs up his gloves.

I have more respect for Harper and I'm fully aware of the flaws in that argument. 

Aye, such an idiot for leaving a club with no ambition for one that wanted to win stuff. :lol:

Aye, such an idiot for leaving a club with no ambition for one that wanted to win stuff. :lol:

:lol: After years and years of hanging on hoping we could turn it around and match his ambition, only to be fobbed off and lied to.

The only thing you can have a go at him for is the manner of his exit, owt else is daft.  Even then I think he was that pissed off with the club it made him act in a way he probably wasn't proud of afterwards but he needed out and didn't want to accept a move that wasn't representative of how well he'd done for us.

I personally hold no grudges towards him - every time he was in the Chronicle saying we needed to sign players I was in full agreement with him and he must have done that for at least 6 consecutive transfer windows.  By the time he left we'd sacked Keegan and Joe Kinnear was his manager, it couldn't have been clearer we were going nowhere and he was probably beginning to think he'd wasted too many of his best years with us.

Can't believe the given hate in here tbh. Not sure what people expected off him, gave us years of good service and left for a team with CL/PL aspirations. Mad

Same. Was his last chance of a shot of winning things, he could have went anytime 4-5 years before he did and couldn't have blamed him. He stayed and the Liverpool debacle, Kinnear in charge, Ashley situation, etc. was the final straw.