Manchester City

OzzieMandias

to be fair think that's the point of financial fair play, no idea how man city are going to manage it (probably wriggle through on the rule that if you're making solid moves in right direction rule)

Regarding buying the league and all that, Iain Macintosh article http://sport.uk.msn.com/football/back-of-the-net/manchester-city-a-title-won-not-bought#scpshrtu

Manchester City: a title won, not bought

City and Mancini deserve credit for their title success, writes Iain MacIntosh.

Even Manchester City's most ardent fans, assuming that any of them have survived their hangovers and can actually read this column, would acknowledge that yesterday could never have been possible without the financial support of Sheikh Mansour.

But if rival supporters think that that taints City's victory, they're mistaken. You can't have success without money, but having money doesn't necessarily guarantee success. Massimo Moratti discovered that with Internazionale when 10 years of heavy spending won him precisely zero Serie A titles. Money brings its own pressure and to suggest that City have bought the Premier League is accurate only in so much that every team who has lifted the title has, to some extent, bought their glory.

Manchester United generate their own money, in spite of the horrendous interest repayments visited upon them by their owners, and that money is the product of success. But what was a factor in achieving that success? Money.

"Arsenal didn't tempt Sol Campbell away from Spurs with a fruit basket and the promise of a decent parking place"

In 1987, Sir Alex Ferguson signed Brian McClair and Steve Bruce for £1.75m, a mighty outlay in those days. The next year, he spent roughly the same on Mark Hughes. A year later, he made £2.5m Gary Pallister the most expensive defender ever.

In the 90s, Blackburn Rovers went on a trolley dash, swiping everything off the shelves in their hunger for the title. Arsenal didn't tempt Sol Campbell away from Spurs with a fruit basket and the promise of a decent parking place, they offered him more money than Tottenham could ever hope to match and went on to win the title undefeated. And where do we start with Chelsea?

Not all of City's spending has been outlandish. In £600,000 Joe Hart, City have one of the best goalkeepers in the league. In £19m David De Gea, a fine young stopper with great potential, United do not. In £6m Vincent Kompany, City have an indomitable defender. United spent around £25m on Chris Smalling and Phil Jones, and they missed Nemanja Vidic terribly. Sure, City broke the bank for Yaya Toure, but he's one of their most crucial players. United spent almost £20m on Anderson and even when he's fit, he hasn't been good enough. And what of £30m Wayne Rooney and £30m Dimitar Berbatov? United have no moral high ground on spending.

City won the title because they were the best team. They won because Roberto Mancini built a secure defence, added silk to the steel, ignored his detractors and somehow managed to endure huge personal pressure without cracking, sticking two pencils up his nose and shouting 'wibble.'

To attempt to take anything away from him or his team is churlish in the extreme. They deserve their success.

Crap article that like - they just deserve it ok, now stop being churlish.

f*** off Iain.

Juniatmoko.......Leeds,Newcastle etc. If its your debt and you make mistakes it costs you on the pitch. What risk is there for citeh and Chelsea ?

Why would you want to see someone strangle in debt? perhaps it is just me....

Guest je85

£6mil for Kompany is a steal!

Was thinking about this, it may have been a Graham Carr scouted signing.

According to Wiki he worked at Man City with Sven, August '08 they signed Kompany and Zabaleta for £6mill ish.

Granted they also got Wayne Bridge, Robinho, Jo, Wright Phillips etc then, but Carr on that Talk Sport interview said he's been scouting Europe in particular for around 8 years he may have highlighted these signings to the club perhaps.

One thing I would say about the Man City owners is that they don't appear to have itchy trigger fingers when it comes to firing managers, like Abramovic has shown in his time at Chelsea.  Suppose it's still early days but they stuck with Hughes longer than I expected and have had a few opportunities to sack Mancini that I thought they might take.  Will be interesting to see what represents success for them now though, would imagine a good Champions League campaign would be expected and they're certainly capable of it.

On cunt-ometer for players I think City certainly come below clubs like Lolerpool, Manure, Chelsea, Spurs.

Barry, Tevez, and possibly Balo depending on mood are the only three that I have an irrational dislike for. Also agree with Interpolic, their owners seem reasonably level headed too.

Aguero's amazing. Been my favourite opposing player in the league since he signed for City.

Yeh I have alot of respect for Kompany, Yaya and Aguero. All class players and professionals. What a spine!

£6mil for Kompany is a steal!

Was thinking about this, it may have been a Graham Carr scouted signing.

According to Wiki he worked at Man City with Sven, August '08 they signed Kompany and Zabaleta for £6mill ish.

Granted they also got Wayne Bridge, Robinho, Jo, Wright Phillips etc then, but Carr on that Talk Sport interview said he's been scouting Europe in particular for around 8 years he may have highlighted these signings to the club perhaps.

Mark Hughes was in charge by then. He was the one who signed Kompany and Zabaleta. 2 utter bargains in the grand scheme of things for the part they've played since

Aguero's amazing. Been my favourite opposing player in the league since he signed for City.

Yeh I have alot of respect for Kompany, Yaya and Aguero. All class players and professionals. What a spine!

Silva ain't bad either, fell away as the season went on this year mind.

Guest BooBoo

Only looks like half the squad turned up. Loads of space on the top of their bus. :lol:

They will all be there man.

Only looks like half the squad turned up. Loads of space on the top of their bus. :lol:

They will all be there man.

well apparently Baltoelli was on his way to Milan earlier so I'm not so sure about that

Guest BooBoo

It's a pretty depressing thought but I really cant ever see the day where we could have our own PL title celebration.

Proper jealous of the City fans today, not afraid to admit it.

Guest BooBoo

Tevez had no shame. I'm just glad he only played a minor role in the title win as he deserves very little after the way he's behaved throughout his career.