Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nice to see so many people in this country willimg to turn a blind eye to corruption so long as we get to see some s**** like Togo versus Ukraine at St James' Park :lol:

That's right keep on convincing yourself that the BBC program will end of corruption in FIFA and those criticizing it are just turning a blind eye to corruption.

Have a look at BBC's statement

"Delay until after the bid was not an option once it became clear that the winning nations might have been chosen by officials with a proven track record of corruption. The programme has uncovered new evidence linking current, long-serving members of the FIFA executive committee with systemic corruption."

So what did they seek to achieve by screening it before the vote? Were they really expecting that somehow FIFA would suspend voting because of BBC's allegation? Don't be naive man. There would not have been an material difference (in terms of stopping corruption) had BBC screened the show after the vote. The only thing achieved by screening before the vote was to damage England's chances and get some cheap sensationalism for BBC, nothing else.

I happen to believe that exposing the corrupt is not only worthwhile but essential, especially for an institution such as the BBC. I doubt it will end corruption but does that make the show any less newsworthy.

Screening the show after the vote would've been pathetic, a total cop out.

I don't disagree with your first sentence. What you have yet to demonstrate though is how is screening before the vote better/more effective in terms of whatever you want to achieve vis-a-vis corruption.

Please tell me where I said it's a joke if Portugal, Spain, Russia, Belgium or the Netherlands get it before England does. Although I might argue Spain.  :shifty:

It wouldn't be a joke if the US got it for 2022 and England didn't get it for 2018, though. As they're not competing for the same WC and are up against different competition. That's my point. If they bid for the same WC, I could see where it'd make more sense for England to get it than the US. But they're not, hence it's a redundant point/argument to make. :lol:

We could go back and forth on this all day so I'm just going to stop here. Also, I think we're using two completely different meanings for redundant.

I'm certainly not going to pretend to be an authority of stadiums in Korea/Japan, but the stadiums the US will have on offer are not too shabby. Just three that would likely be used.

New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey (close to NYC) - brand new this year

http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/04/20100412_nms_560x375.jpg

New Cowboys Stadium in Dallas - brand new, cost over a billion dollars, the HD video screen is 60 yards long

http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Inside-Cowboys-Stadium-Fisheye.jpg

University of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona - this one is four years old

http://www.cocktailmatch.com/users/156/blog/University%20of%20Phoenix%20Stadium.jpg

The 18 potential cities are Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York (NJ), Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa, and Washington, D.C.

Indy would stand a good chance with no Chicago or Detroit in the mix.

Nice to see so many people in this country willimg to turn a blind eye to corruption so long as we get to see some s**** like Togo versus Ukraine at St James' Park :lol:

That's right keep on convincing yourself that the BBC program will end of corruption in FIFA and those criticizing it are just turning a blind eye to corruption.

Have a look at BBC's statement

"Delay until after the bid was not an option once it became clear that the winning nations might have been chosen by officials with a proven track record of corruption. The programme has uncovered new evidence linking current, long-serving members of the FIFA executive committee with systemic corruption."

So what did they seek to achieve by screening it before the vote? Were they really expecting that somehow FIFA would suspend voting because of BBC's allegation? Don't be naive man. There would not have been an material difference (in terms of stopping corruption) had BBC screened the show after the vote. The only thing achieved by screening before the vote was to damage England's chances and get some cheap sensationalism for BBC, nothing else.

I happen to believe that exposing the corrupt is not only worthwhile but essential, especially for an institution such as the BBC. I doubt it will end corruption but does that make the show any less newsworthy.

Screening the show after the vote would've been pathetic, a total cop out.

I don't disagree with your first sentence. What you have yet to demonstrate though is how is screening before the vote better/more effective in terms of whatever you want to achieve vis-a-vis corruption.

The same program after we lose the bid would look to the rest of the world like sour grapes. FIFA would say that if we thought there was corruption why didn't we bring it up before the vote so they could do something about it, we're obviously just bitter about losing and use that to dismiss the allegations and sweep it under the carpet. They'll still dismiss the allegations and try to sweep it under the carpet, but at least now the dismissal of it can be seen as the self-serving attempt to hang onto their own cushy numbers it is without allowing them to use the sore loser excuse.

Guest Tall Striker

Think of the fuckin nightmare kick off times if the convicts get it.

If we dont get it, which we wont IMO, it's got to be Spain/Portugal. What a month that would be.

Shame the media have ruined our otherwise faultless bid.

From Marcotti's twitter last night.........

My FIFA buddy who loves this kind of political stuff and works for one of the ExCo members sent me his predictions for 2018 voting...

(note that he has included David Chung, though we don't yet know if he'll be allowed to vote)

Round 1: Iberia 8, Russia 7, England 6, Bel/Hol 2

Round 2: Iberia 8, Eng 8, Russia 7

Round 3: England 13, Iberia 10. This is just his educated guess... NO IDEA if he's right... (been right in past, also been wrong in past)

He's adamant that his source does these kind of predictions for a living and whilst only a guess, should be a good indicator of tomorrow's events.

If it's between us and Iberia then it should be us, as Spain had it in 1982. If it's between us and Russia, then that's a more difficult choice, because Eastern Europe have never had it, and it would mean a lot to Russia.

I wouldn't give it to Russia, because of the travel problems within the country, but maybe I am biased.

Tonight will have no bearing at all man.

"Well I was going to vote for England, but then I happened to watch the Carling Cup match last night and Birmingham fans were less than well behaved, so Russia it is" :lol:

Thank you Birmingham fans for fucking it up!

Oh, please.

I was at the game tonight, and yes, it was a deeply unpleasant experience, but it's nowt compared to what happens in places like Russia every week.

Hooliganism is one front where England has nothing to worry about.