Alan Pardew

JH

Pardew Aiming To Overtake Sunderland

Newcastle have already got the better of local rivals Sunderland in their meetings this season, and now manager Alan Pardew is aiming to overtake them in the Premier League.

The sides drew 1-1 at the Stadium of Light on Sunday, when a last-gasp Asamoah Gyan effort denied the Magpies a victory.

Following their 5-1 win in the reverse fixture in October, it means Newcastle have taken four points - and remained unbeaten - against Sunderland this season.

And Pardew is now setting his sights on giving the fans even more bragging rights.

"For us, four points from the north east derbies means we carry the banner through the summer, and we wait for the next one," he said.

"But I'm sure Steve (Bruce, Sunderland manager) will be sitting here saying 'who's higher in the league at the moment?', so that is something we want to address before the end of the season.

"You want to try and aspire as high as you can. Sunderland have had a great season, and that is why we are so disappointed today because we know our performance and some of our play deserved a win.

"There's a long way to go yet, but the performance of the team was excellent and we came so close to three clean sheets in the Premier League and two extra points, which would have been really nice.

"There's a bit of disappointment but now we have to fuel ourselves for next week and Tottenham, which will be a really tough game."

Noticeable at the heart of Newcastle's impressive performance were centre-backs Fabricio Coloccini and Mike Williamson, who kept the multi-million-pound strike force of Gyan and Darren Bent almost silent throughout.

And Pardew paid tribute to the defenders.

"I managed Darren (Bent) and he has a lot of tools," said the boss of the striker he managed at Charlton.

"He has great pace to get in behind and makes good runs from deep, but I thought we coped really well - particularly in the first half.

"There were a number of crosses which we defended really well, and Colo and Willo were outstanding."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110117/pardew-aiming-to-overtake-sunderland_2281670_2268360

Could they not have used a better picture? :lol:

Oh dear if this shit is to believed

Pardew ready to switch transfer targets

Published Date: 17 January 2011

Miles Starforth

ALAN Pardew's ready to abandon his search for a new striker – because of the form of the players he inherited.

Pardew – who has top scorer Andy Carroll sidelined – has been looking to add a forward to his Newcastle United squad in this month's transfer window.

But recent performances, including those of Shola Ameobi and Leon Best in yesterday's Wear-Tyne derby, have put a question mark in Pardew's mind as to whether the funds he has will be better spent elsewhere, with Queens Park Rangers midfielder Adel Taarabt reportedly a target

QPR are also understood to be keen to take Wayne Routledge, also talked of as a makeweight in South Wales in United any move for Cardiff City striker Jay Bothroyd, back to Loftus Road.

And Pardew, also looking at bringing in cover for left-back Jose Enrique, could rely on them again on Saturday – when his side entertain Tottenham Hotspur – as Carroll is unlikely to be fit.

"Shola and Leon were as good as the home strikers," said Pardew. "They did very well indeed, and, for me, it was evens in the striking department.

"That's good, because we have Andy carrying an injury.

"This has altered my thinking in the transfer window. We might be looking to improve in other departments now. It's a possibility.

"It depends on other areas. We may look to strengthen there instead now.

"I have been really buoyed by Shola and Leon – they may just have saved me a problem looking elsewhere."

Ameobi bossed former Newcastle defender Titus Bramble for much of the game after putting an early miss behind him, while Best was a willing runner alongside him.

Pardew went on: "Leon's been very good indeed.

"People say he was out of sorts, but I can only judge what I can see, and I don't know if I feel I want to change things."

Meanwhile, Scottish Premier League club Hibernian, managed by former Newcastle No2 Colin Calderwood, are keen on taking striker Phil Airey on loan.

* THE foot injury suffered by Newcastle United midfielder Alan Smith was today being assessed by the club. Smith, caught by Kieran Richardson in the first half, left the Stadium of Light on crutches.

I don't see too much wrong with that thinking tbh. While Best and Ameobi aren't good enough, we aren't going to spend the sort of money it would cost to buy a real quality striker. A decent wide player or full back might be more in our price bracket.

I don't see too much wrong with that thinking tbh. While Best and Ameobi aren't good enough, we aren't going to spend the sort of money it would cost to buy a real quality striker. A decent wide player or full back might be more in our price bracket.

my thinking too, try for one in the summer when prices are more reasonable

Guest neesy111

I'd take Taarabt over Bothroyd

Taarabt is arguably the difference between promotion and staying in the CCC for QPR. They won't sell him.

And they don't need to, there owners are quite rich as well.

I like the idea of waiting for the summer over the strikers and go for someone like Tarbet ..... If we can manage to lure him from QPR....

It won't p*** the strikers off either. So you could argue its good man management.

we need to get our striker signing right because ideally it'll be a long term partner for Carroll. if we have to wait until the summer then so be it, i think we can get through the season without a new striker in January.

of course there's no guarantee there'll be any more money for Pardew to spend at the end of the season...

Guest neesy111

Shola's attitude on the pitch is starting to change for me for the better.  He just needs to stay fit for me and he can be the 2nd striker we need.  With us requiring 15 points max to stay up I would rather keep any budget for a striker until the summer.

Guest neesy111

we need to get our striker signing right because ideally it'll be a long term partner for Carroll. if we have to wait until the summer then so be it, i think we can get through the season without a new striker in January.

of course there's no guarantee there'll be any more money for Pardew to spend at the end of the season...

It was reported if we do stay up, then the purse strings will be massively loosened.  Whether it's true or not I remain unconvinced.  But we have spent more this season than most thought.

:thup:

I'd rather we bring in a proper striker in the summer knowing we're in the Premier League again than someone average or slightly better than we have now who would just be another person to have to offload sooner rather than later.

europe for anyone from the scum down to liverpool in the current table is achievable given how all over the place the table is, not likely for us if you ask me but who knows stranger things have happened.

i also find myself strangely growing fond of the pardew 360 when we miss a chance for some daft reason

:lol:

I've taking to calling it the Pardew Pirouette

:lol: glad I wasn't the only one to clock that, he did it about 6 or 7 times.

Seemed to make the right calls yesterday apart from Smith, who is playing worryingly regularly. Otherwise, it seems you were fairly comfortable once you got ahead and only a big slice of fortune for them got them a point. Still, you matched them for passion and more, so in my eyes, Pardew did a good job.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He seems very composed and very level headed

I'll be honest I absolutely hated the idea of him in charge but the players have obviously embraced him which is good enough for me

Im still disappointed about the circumstances but a month or so down the line he is winning me over and I hope other feel the same

Chris Hughton's replacement is Alan Pardew. What are your thoughts on this appointment? (Poll locked 17th December)

Delighted - 12 (2%)

Happy - 5 (0.8%)

Not bothered - 21 (3.4%)

Unhappy - 85 (13.8%)

Disgusted - 491 (80%)

What are your thoughts one month on? Would you change your vote?

I don't think there is much more he could have done to be honest.  He came into a situation of hostility, which (depending on who you believe) was not his fault and I wouldn't have expected to get much from the games we have lost (apart from Stevenage of course).  Still a disgrace the way it happened, but I am quite happy to give him my full support.