Alan Pardew

JH

Pity we didn't have Tiote in the last 2 games and Routledge on the bench today, at least that has nothing to do with Pardew.

:facepalm: :dowie: just enough already, you're just making yourself lose all credibility

???

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Fair play to Pardew. He changed it up and it worked. 1st half playing 4-4-2 gave Modric far too much space, so he changed it to 4-5-1 with Barton in the middle and Best on the right. Really helped to phase Modric out of the game.

Was great to see Carver off his feet trying to motivate Shola 5 mins before Shola came off.

Don't really blame him for today, like he said in his post match interview the team just got carried away.

Fact is, we pushed too many players forward and when the ball landed at Lennon's feet, there were three defenders (?) and a big massive gap where the full back should have been. That's what cost us the game.

If you want to close a game out and retain possession, Routlege is hardly the ideal player to turn to. Let's not get silly and pretend if he was still available then we would not have conceded.

If you want to close a game out and retain possession, Routlege is hardly the ideal player to turn to. Let's not get silly and pretend if he was still available then we would not have conceded.

Routledge did track back, I can't remember seeing Perch doing that when they scored.

Nobody did.

Conceding two last minute goals isn't brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

I thought that his substitutions were a bit off today, Ranger should have replaced the ineffective Best and Ferguson should have replaced Guthrie with Jonas moving over to the right.  I don't have a problem with playing Perch in defence but where was he playing today?  I genuinely have no idea where he was supposed to be playing.

Makes you wonder just what we could have done without those 2 last minute equalisers and that shocking run of 4 or 5 home games pre December.

Looking on the bright side, I think that's proof that we're not far off having a good starting 11.

Conceding two last minute goals isn't brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

I thought that his substitutions were a bit off today, Ranger should have replaced the ineffective Best and Ferguson should have replaced Guthrie with Jonas moving over to the right.  I don't have a problem with playing Perch in defence but where was he playing today?  I genuinely have no idea where he was supposed to be playing.

To be honest, I thought he held the midfield position reasonably well for a defender and even supported the attack a few times.

To be honest, I thought he held the midfield position reasonably well for a defender and even supported the attack a few times.

Was he in the middle or on the wing?

Middle, one of either Lovenkrands/Ameobi were supposed to be playing on the wing in a 4-5-1.

Middle, one of either Lovenkrands/Ameobi were supposed to be playing on the wing in a 4-5-1.

I could just see a massive gap down our right and thought that he must have been told to play in that position rather than shuffling players around.  The space in front of Simpson was massive once Guthrie went off.

His subs, on the whole, are hopeless imo - but i think i might be warming to him a bit. I'm starting to think he actually is a decent manager from a 'personality' perspective. He's done remarkably well maintaining the excellent team spirit when it had every chance of imploding. The subs are my biggest bugbear thus far cos i think, on numerous occassions, he's shagged it up. Spurs (away) and Stevenage are the stand-out ones.

I think we've got a squad of reliable dogs that will be always be secure yet unspectacular. We're not playing a great deal differently to when Hughton was here. There's the odd quality here and there but the side's fundamental weapon is spirit.

I had faith in Hughton to build on that, with a restricted budget, and have us challenging for the European spots within a couple of seasons. Pardew's biggest test, and the thing that will determine whether or not it was a good move by Ashley, is the transfer market. We're not going to have lots of money to spend... Hughton had accepted this and done a superb job with it. If Pardew does anything other than the same or better, it's a pointless failure where Ashley's concerned.

If, by some mental surprise, Ashley actually provides Pardew with a massive wad of cash to spend, it's doubley harsh on Hughton.

I thought the whole decision to remove Hughton and appoint Pardew was daft and pointless, but it looks like the right decision so far.

:thup:

I'd have snapped your hand off for his points return when he took over. In hindsight it's painful that it's not more