Alan Pardew

JH

Meh. I think for all of your (and not just you) backtracking and steadfast refusal to consider Pards actually knew what he wanted to do with the team at the beginning of the season,

sorry but how you know this any more than other people 'know' the alternative Stu?

??? I read into what I wanted from his comments to the press and the players that the club signed over the summer. I read into what I wanted from his comments to the press and the way the team ground out results during the first part of the campaign. I read into what I wanted from the fact he'd not long been in the job and was already under tremendous pressure due to the unpleasant (now seen to be cut-throat) nature of his of his appointment. I read into what I wanted from the fact that our team was becoming harder to beat during his tenure (stretching back to the 4-4 draw) and that self-confidence is the platform from which good players go on to shine. I read into what I wanted from the fact that I enjoyed watching his Reading team play. I read what I wanted into what I wanted from the fact I enjoyed watching his West Ham team play. I read what I wanted into the fact that he appeared to achieve a good set of results with a -10pt handicap with Southampton.

I read what I wanted into these things because they were there to be snatched and used for optimism. I've not been burdened with the hatred of Cashley, so I didn't automatically think the worst of Pards. I gave him a chance to prove himself and he's done nothing but impress. If there are two alternative realities to be had, I'll take the one that goes hand in hand with getting behind the team.

i'm not saying you're right or wrong but being objective about this season imo Pardew started with a system which was successful on the back of Ba being prolific and the defence tight, Ba went to the ACoN and then we hit rocky patch during which Pardew stuck to the same system and tried to make players fit where they didn't really fit consequently performances and results suffered to the point where it looked very, very grim against Sunderland at home* when Pardew threw on HBA to try and make something happen, which he did....the rest appears to be history now

*incidentally if it was all a masterplan from him why play a style against wolves & sunderland in particular that isolated cisse and made him very ineffective?  there's been virtually no change in player availability in those games to now yet the 'new style' is bringing out the best in cisse, and that was obvious from the moment the lad first took the pitch

the way it panned out i just don't believe the entire thing was a plan from the start, the way the system just 'clicked' looked far too haphazard and he clung to the old system too long when it just wasn't working...for whatever reason he did what he did at west brom and we are where we are

I thought we switched to the 4-3-3 (or variant) while the Dembas were away at ACoN? We had a very good half against Fulham with Best and HBA on the other side of Shola. People at the time were hoping Pards would stay with the same system once our 'better' strikers returned to offer some movement for Cabaye and HBA.

We went back to more of a 4-4-2 when Ba returned and then had that run of 4 games without a win (including a confidence boosting 0-5 result at Spurs with 2 up top) before the all important win against Norwich, which looks to have genuinely been the catalyst for our recent run. The importance of getting a win, any win, was stressed by Pards in his post-match presser and the subsequent results have simply padded out the point he was making.

i would echo what a lot of other people have said though, when people were calling for HBA to be in the team ealrier (myself included) and Pardew left him out - that is starting to look like a masterstroke tbh...if your assumption is that hoying him on to try and rescue the wolves and sunderland games, then starting him vs. norwich and finally WBA was just "the right time" and part of the plan then fair enough but you're assuming as much as anyone else is when they think the contrary imo...i honestly think HBA forced himself in

...and out, then in, then out...with a series of frustrating displays; one minute he's rounding the entire Blackburn team to score, the next he's gifting possession away outside our area. Thankfully, the message from Pards appears to have got through (ultimately, he's the one that has to trust the players to carry out his instructions) and as he explained after the Bolton match "It's Hatem's world when he's on the ball, but it's my world when we don't have the ball." How can you foster a team spirit and work ethic if you're going to continually pander to the crowd's demand to see the flair player in the team, even when he's not working to the level you know he can? What does that say to the fringe players? If they come in for injury or suspension, they're going to be out of the picture irrespective of how they play? I think Pards has been ridiculously fair with his team selections this year (Obertan's brief stint aside) and thankfully, it's paid off.

and of course his work on the defence and getting important contributions from fringe players has been outstanding...not easy to be defensively tight yet offensively dangerous but pards has managed the balance very well

he's done a f***ing great job mind, long may it continue :thup:

:thup:

Excellent post :thup:

Tell me Stu, how did you "read into it" when Pardew categorically and repeatedly stated that BenArfa didn't have the relish to play on the wing/ would only play him in the number 10 role?

Just another masterstroke to make BenArfa more mature/work harder?

You can't just twist everything to suit one viewpoint, based almost entirely on hindsight.

:hmm:

Thankfully, the message from Pards appears to have got through (ultimately, he's the one that has to trust the players to carry out his instructions) and as he explained after the Bolton match "It's Hatem's world when he's on the ball, but it's my world when we don't have the ball."

What about the fact that Pardew criticized BenArfa after matches for giving the ball away at the back, and criticized him during matches for trying to play it out from the back.

We have scored goals since where BenArfa played the ball dangerously out from the back. You cant just twist everying to suit one viewpoint based on hindsight.

Anyway, I'm off for the night.

What I hope for is just a little bit more patience shown to Pardew when our form dips again next season.

I certainly will. And I'm sure anyone who criticized him will do the same, now that they've seen what Pardew is capable of.

Thankfully, the message from Pards appears to have got through (ultimately, he's the one that has to trust the players to carry out his instructions) and as he explained after the Bolton match "It's Hatem's world when he's on the ball, but it's my world when we don't have the ball."

What about the fact that Pardew criticized BenArfa after matches for giving the ball away at the back, and criticized him during matches for trying to play it out from the back.

We have scored goals since where BenArfa played the ball dangerously out from the back. You cant just twist everying to suit one viewpoint based on hindsight.

Aye, true that, it's not as though I've been championing Pards all season :lol:

Aye, true that, it's not as though I've been championing Pards all season :lol:

Not sure how some can fault Pardew's handling of Ben Arfa earlier in the season, except his daft comment about him not having the relish to play on the wings.

It was clear that HBA just wasn't match fit earlier. He was fit but his touches and control were simply off. Many a times he simply ran the ball straight into an opponent or out of touch, showing little signs and mere flashes of his exceptional ball carrying, skills and energy levels we've seen thus far. All these at a stage where, to be completely honest, we were still thinking about securing points and top half safety. Could Pardew have gambled and started HBA in games earlier? Possibly, but his pragmatic approach ensured that HBA could be eased in, to his and our frustrations, but we're seeing the results now. Gradually HBA's fitness picked up and his performances improved, making impacts  against Bolton, Blackburn(facup), Fulham, Arsenal and Sunderland, before Pardew finally saw that HBA was ready for regular starts.

I don't think any of us could be a better judge than Pardew in deciding whether HBA should start or not. We don't see him in training like Pardew does but what we do see from his earlier performances it was clear that HBA just was simply not up to speed. So fair play to Pardew and he handled it as well as he could really.

Marseille fans on HBA atm, it does suggest Pards has pulled more out of him:

http://www.omplanete.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20411&p=141

Definately it plays ... but there is also his attitude! When you see him play at Newcastle, he returns to defend, oddly in France he did not do it!

So yes it was surely not handled his case at best, but the player (as bcp French players for that matter) are making efforts abroad that they are not in France

To agree his attitude changed. Unclear whether it is England, or a coach who knew how to take good

Marseille fans on HBA atm, it does suggest Pards has pulled more out of him:

http://www.omplanete.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20411&p=141

Definately it plays ... but there is also his attitude! When you see him play at Newcastle, he returns to defend, oddly in France he did not do it!

So yes it was surely not handled his case at best, but the player (as bcp French players for that matter) are making efforts abroad that they are not in France

To agree his attitude changed. Unclear whether it is England, or a coach who knew how to take good

take good? nee chance! pards only gives good  :pardsgrin:

Guest Craig-NUFC

To play devil's advocate here, but does us doing so well and potentially finishing above Spurs put Pardew in closer contention for the England job?

Just putting it out there.

Guest VaVaVoom

Closer than before, but not closer than Redknapp. A more valid concern is Pardew going to Spurs IMO, and even that seems a remote possibility now things are cushy here.

Nah no way.

Pardiola loves it here man.

Sneaky feeling Mourinho could end up at Spurs like.

I don't think Pardew would want to go to Spurs (his recent comments about the grass being greener etc), and plus, I think Spurs would go for a bigger name candidate than him anyway.

I don't think Pardew would want to go to Spurs (his recent comments about the grass being greener etc), and plus, I think Spurs would go for a bigger name candidate than him anyway.

Yeah thankfully, even whilst receiving plaudits from many he still somewhat managed to stay under the radar, he's not been taken seriously as a candidate for the England job which is great for us. I think Levy will be looking for a "rolls royce" type of manager to replace Super Arry!

This is pretty much the least worried I've ever been about players and the manager leaving. If we can't keep people here now then we never will, so it's not worth worrying about anyway.

Even when things are not going well the city of Newcastle and NUFC remain attractive propositions for those who make their living out of football.

When things are going well there are few better places in the world to ply your trade.

I've said for a while now that as we progress there are a diminishing number of clubs who can offer a player or manager more than ourselves.

As football - including many of Europe's top clubs  - finally wakes up to financial reality, we are already very well placed in that respect too.