What's your worst ever footballing experience?

oldtype

What's your worst ever footballing experience?

As in, have you ever watched a match or witness something happen to your club/national team that makes you think that you want to give up football and never come back again and go take a nap on railroad tracks or something.

And how did you get over it?

No particular reason. Just asking.

Us in Lisbon getting beat 4-1. I alway felt from when we got beat by OM the season earlier that we would win it. I cried myself asleep that night.

The relegation was bad, but I was expecting it after the Fulham result, and I had decided that did go down then I would sulk the rest of the day then just get on with it. After the match though I went and walked the dogs with my Newcastle shirt on, full of pride that I'm still a Geordie.

Relegation at Villa Park was awful but in terms of gut wrenching, the capitulation in Lisbon was a low. We just collapsed in a competition we had a genuine chance of winning.

All three UEFA Cup eliminations hit me. Marseille, I felt we were so unlucky with injuries/chances in the first leg. Lisbon was a perfect opportunity to win the competition and Alkmaar was a brilliant first leg performance, to limp out like we did in the second leg was terrible.

Belgrade wasn't pretty either like.

Fulham game. Acceptance had set in by the time of the Villa fixture.

I just wish in retrospect we'd been beaten by Boro too. After that game there was real optimism, if not euphoria, we'd stay up but against Fulham we were clueless.

Probably when it was confirmed KK was leaving in his last spell here, but a couple more spring to mind, although i wasn't at either game. Firstly, when Fenton scored those 2 for Blackburn against us, that played a massive part in us not winning the league that year. Then the game at Sporting Lisbon when we went 2-0 up on agg' and i started believing we were going to win the UEFA cup, only for us to blow it in true toon style.

I was at Marseilles and the away crowd was just stunned by our limp display in such a match. I think our players bottled the hostile atmosphere. Afterwards back in the airport, Sir John Hall was in the departure lounge listening to people haranguing the Shepherd regime. To be fair, he didn't bugger off and was quite chatty.

1. Milan raping us in the 1994 EC final (Marcel Desailly still haunts my dreams)

2. Ronaldo leaving the club.

3. Conceding a late equalizer to Espanyol and losing the league because of it in 2007.

#2 was a big deal to me, I was certain that we were losing a one of a kind player, that could go on becoming one of the true greats of the game. I still wonder what would have happened to us and to him if we had retained him.

That said, given our current bonanza all these memories have been washed out like tears in the rain [/bladerunner]

Partizan Belgrade at home- I know we had a good year in the UEFA Cup that year, but I'd have loved another rollercoaster ride in the Champions League. The penalties were awful after we had won the away game in Yugoslavia too

Guest johnson293

Probably the relegation in 2008/09.

The state the club seemed to be in, I thought we were another Leeds, and would drop like a stone (or a Middlesbrough).

Thankfully, the lads rallied together after the Leyton Orient thrashing, and those without the heart for it were jetisoned, and the rest as they say, is history.