What's your worst ever footballing experience?

oldtype

Partizan is among the times I've been most angry with football. Such a waste of a season.

Yeap. Probably THE most angry for me for the same reasons. Was just sickening and we never recovered all season long.

Arguably we've not recovered since

My worst week supporting NUFC was going to Lisbon certain i was going to watch Newcastle go through and go all the way to lift to UEFA cup only to crash out in the kind of way only NUFC can and then flying back for the FA semi only for the team not to turn up,  we then nearly caught pneumonia standing oustide the train station,  never been so cold, even with my foil blanket that the St Johns ambulance were giving out.  That trip back home was just horrific.

1974 cup final, I'd been to a few games but this was the first time I'd seen them live on the telly and it was THE game of the season. I cried when Alec Lyndsey scored in the first half (disallowed) and spent the whole of the 2nd half in some kind of self denial over the mauling we were on the end of.

Somebody posted the defeat to Everton in 2003 when Everton shouldn't have scored.

That was the start of our downfall IMO.

With out a doubt, fucking hated Graveson after that. That completely took away the momentum of the previous 18 month or whatever. I'm pissed off now just thinking about that smug bald cunt.

Worst moment:  The Carling cup defeat at Wigan a few years back.  I was just so angry at how shit we were, being beaten by a shit team with the shittest fans.  I remember seeing Fat Freddy nearly getting filled in trying to drive away too.  Just diabolical.

Funily enough, I wasn't bothered about the Relegation too much at the time, I was in Afghanistan, so I had other things to keep me occupied!  :D

I really didn't find Villa that bad. It was no shock.  It was very frustrating, I remember screaming with a few minutes "It's not over, we only need one fucking goal", but at the end I felt much more defiant than upset. When we all stayed there singing. It was a proud day to be a toon fan.

oh and geting beat 6 -2 off man united at home, terrible day on tyneside

That was so deflating, went absolutely insane when Jenas scored, really thought we could win the league, their fans were a nightmare that day, especially after the whole stadium sang "your gunna win fuck all" when we went 1 up

oh and geting beat 6 -2 off man united at home, terrible day on tyneside

That was so deflating, went absolutely insane when Jenas scored, really thought we could win the league, their fans were a nightmare that day, especially after the whole stadium sang "your gunna win fuck all" when we went 1 up

Scholes' perfomance that day is one of best individual displays I think I've seen.

Losing to Chelsea in the FA Cup semifinal when both of their goals were dubious as fuck.

Nothing dubious about the goals, iirc. First one was lucky as there was some big deflection involved and the second was gut wrenching in its timing but a good header.

U20 World Cup in Toronto...Canada U20 v Chile U20 on Canada Day (Canada's birthday). Half the crowd were Canadians of Chilean decent who were cheering against Canada and we ended up getting beaten pretty bad. I ended up drinking with David Edgar's sister, though, which was kind of cool at the time. But I was really annoyed at people cheering against their own country. I support England in the World Cup and Euros, but would never chose them over Canada.

U20 World Cup in Toronto...Canada U20 v Chile U20 on Canada Day (Canada's birthday). Half the crowd were Canadians of Chilean decent who were cheering against Canada and we ended up getting beaten pretty bad. I ended up drinking with David Edgar's sister, though, which was kind of cool at the time. But I was really annoyed at people cheering against their own country. I support England in the World Cup and Euros, but would never chose them over Canada.

I've never had any problem with that.

Growing up-- if you were were really into football, ahem, soccer-- you probably had family or roots in a football mad-country. It seemed (and seems) perfectly natural (to me) for Portuguese-Americans, Italian-Americans, Brazilian-Americans, Mexican-Americans and whatever to support the country of their forefathers. That's just the way it was for me. I know a lot of people who have the issue of "hyphenated-Americans" and don't like seeing US citizens rooting against the USNATs, but I could never get that worked up about it.

Mostly, it seems to be a US-Mexico thing. I know guys who pretend to be really upset about people supporting Ireland or Italy. But their eyes only light up when they can start venting about Mexican-Americans.  I'd probably be more aggravated if we hadn't been kicking their asses for 20+ years now.

P.S. 2-0

I've never had any problem with that.

Growing up-- if you were were really into football, ahem, soccer-- you probably had family or roots in a football mad-country. It seemed (and seems) perfectly natural (to me) for Portuguese-Americans, Italian-Americans, Brazilian-Americans, Mexican-Americans and whatever to support the country of their forefathers. That's just the way it was for me. I know a lot of people who have the issue of "hyphenated-Americans" and don't like seeing US citizens rooting against the USNATs, but I could never get that worked up about it.

Mostly, it seems to be a US-Mexico thing. I know guys who pretend to be really upset about people supporting Ireland or Italy. But their eyes only light up when they can start venting about Mexican-Americans.  I'd probably be more aggravated if we hadn't been kicking their asses for 20+ years now.

P.S. 2-0

It was made worse by the fact that the match took place on Canada Day and that we were in a Canadian stadium.

Like I said in my post, I'm a big England supporter. I have quite a few England shirts that I wear often, but I couldn't imagine cheering for England over Canada. Wouldn't even fathom it. Especially not at a Canada home game in Toronto.

wellander,

Yeah, I see your point Canada Day and all.  I couldn't fathom rooting for anyone but the USA. I might feel differently watching US lose to Mexico on July 4th.  Of course, we've learned (for the most part) to stop holding US-Mexico games in Los Angeles or Chicago. That way we can hope to have a crowd rooting for the home team. 

I can kind of understand where the Chilean dudes were coming from.

I'm nominally a US citizen and I've spent about half my life in the States for various reasons but if Korea was playing the US at Giants Stadium on the 4th of July, I know exactly who I'd be rooting for.