SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

Guest WashyGeordie

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/06/23/charles-n-zogbia-favours-return-to-newcastle-72703-28928571/

CHARLES N’ZOGBIA is desperate to join Newcastle United’s French revolution.

But the Zog, who is resigned to leaving Wigan Athletic, could face an anxious wait to find out exactly what his future holds with Latics chairman Dave Whelan insisting only the “right price” will trigger his release.

The fee for N’Zogbia is now thought to have been set at £9m for all clubs. However, Premier League sides know that the Frenchman is available for free on a Bosman transfer at the end of the next campaign – hence the reason there has yet to be an official bid from any of the interested parties.

The Chronicle understands that N’Zogbia has made it clear to his advisors that a return to St James’ Park, to link up with new boys Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba and Sylvain Marveaux, is his preferred choice ahead of a link-up with his old boss Steve Bruce at Sunderland.

However, Aston Villa have also hardened their interest in the skilful playmaker after Alex McLeish was appointed as Villa Park boss – the man who came close to luring N’Zogbia to Birmingham City last summer before the move broke down.

McLeish may now feel he can offer N’Zogbia a more attractive package with their second city rivals, yet N’Zogbia is keen to rejoin United and return to the city in which he has been a frequent visitor to since quitting Tyneside during the ill-fated Joe Kinnear era.

Tottenham Hotspur and Everton also remain interested in N’Zogbia.

The Frenchman is not giving up hope of a switch back to Tyneside from perennial Premier League strugglers Wigan Athletic.

It’s thought that wages – contrary to reports – are not the sticking point for the 25-year-old, with the transfer fee very much determining whether N’Zogbia will be grounded at Wigan or not.

No quotes, just 'understands'.

Zero quotes = Zero Story

Oh... Rly?

That's only one half of the story by the way.

With N’Zogbia still on holiday in Miami, the former Le Havre man’s future is being looked after by Parisian lawyer Christophe Bertrand, who was told in no uncertain terms before N’Zogbia left for the United States, exactly what his priorities were.

A source close to N’Zogbia told the Chronicle: “Charles is still on holiday in the States.

“But he would be delighted to come back and complete a move to Newcastle.

“It’s not all about money for Charles and, despite what people have said, it is very much about football for him.

“He knows what a massive club Newcastle are and is determined to be part of things next season.”

Wigan chairman Whelan had said: “I do think he will go this summer, but we want the right price before we allow that to happen.

“We have a fee in mind that we want and we are fighting to get that fee.

“We’ve had three or four clubs biting, wanting to be kept in the know.”

Meanwhile, James Perch will seek talks with Alan Pardew on his return to Tyneside on July 4 after telling friends: “I want to know where I stand.”

The utility player could, though, find refuge at Birmingham City after Chris Hughton was unveiled as manager at St Andrews.

Hughton woke up to headlines this morning linking him with a move for Toon midfielder Danny Guthrie, while Leon Best and Nile Ranger are also players the ex-United manager feels he can get the best out of.

Guest Antec

AnthonyIAnson Anthony I'Anson

@lee_ryder Hi Lee Whats the crack with nzogbia i have heard it is looking more like he is coming newcastle ? do you know anything

8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

in reply to ↑

Lee Ryder

@lee_ryder Lee Ryder

@AnthonyIAnson What I do know is that he wants to come to Newcastle - fee an issue for player in last year of contract #nufc

Sounds about right

Meanwhile, James Perch will seek talks with Alan Pardew on his return to Tyneside on July 4 after telling friends: “I want to know where I stand.”The utility player could, though, find refuge at Birmingham City after Chris Hughton was unveiled as manager at St Andrews.

Hughton woke up to headlines this morning linking him with a move for Toon midfielder Danny Guthrie, while Leon Best and Nile Ranger are also players the ex-United manager feels he can get the best out of.

The dressing room is fine.

Player apparently wanting to come + player in last year of contract + relatively high asking price + Whelan vs Ashley = last day of transfer window.

I simply can't imagine Ashley not being a total tight cunt over this one.

Guest Antec

Player apparently wanting to come + player in last year of contract + relatively high asking price + Whelan vs Ashley = last day of transfer window.

I think they both will be

Can't really argue with that though. Would hope we've been in touch with his representative and asked him to sit tight.

I can see us putting in a low bid to signal our interest (wasn't there a report we'd already done this?), watching it be rejected then sitting back and doing nothing until Wigan start panicking.

I forgot to add in that obviously we'd be buying back one of our own players as well, at a higher fee which is sure to piss Ashley off somewhat. If he does end up coming here, I'll be amazed if it doesn't go to the deadline.

It'll go down to the last day, which probably means that Barnetta is going down to the last day as well. I can't imagine us signing two more wingers. If the reports about Barnetta having visited the club are true, then it probably means that everything is sorted and we just have to negotiate with Leverkusen/pull the trigger on the deal. But I suspect that N'Zogbia is our first choice and we'll be looking to buy him for a similar price to the one that Barnetta seems to have (£6m). If Whelan doesn't reduce his price on the last day or someone like Villa stump up the £9m then I can see us settling for Barnetta, although I'm not sure settling would be the right word since I very much think Barnetta would be a huge success in the Premiership.

What is certainly not going to happen is for us to complete deals now when we can shave off £2m or so if we wait 60 days. I know we're all desperate for our signings to be completed so we have a settled squad, but £2m is a lot of money, and with us needing 3 more players, we could potentially save up to £7-8m by waiting. And I don't think we're taking a risk in waiting because if anyone stumps up the cash now, then we can also bid that amount if need be.