Leon Best

Godot

Best had a nice stretch of games but in reality, is he any more than a 4th striker?  He seems to be injured a lot, too.  I'm concerned about squad depth as well but 4M for Best looks like good business.

At the moment he's our best striker, isn't he?

He's won me over, so I'd be happy to keep him as backup. I think he's the best striker we've currently got.

Of course I'd rather see Lovenkrands or Shola go, but in reality we're never going to shift those 2 until their contracts run out. Best seems to be for sale for 2 reasons:

1) We're going to have too many strikers next season

2) He's the only one we can sell

Shame for the lad. Could have done OK next season, grabbing a few from the bench or covering for inevitable injuries. Instead it looks like we'll have to rely on Ameobi and Lovenkrands as cover again... :(

Best had a nice stretch of games but in reality, is he any more than a 4th striker?  He seems to be injured a lot, too.  I'm concerned about squad depth as well but 4M for Best looks like good business.

Yeah but that is only because our other strikers are named Ameobi, Lovenkrands and Ranga.

And 12 months ago everybody wanted him gone, didn't they?

So if we all want Shola to go now, in 12 months time he'll be....

Still here, because nobody is stupid enough to buy him.

Why kid ourselves? He'll be signing a new fucking contract.

Why kid ourselves? He'll be signing a new fucking contract.

:lol:

It's amazing how such a truly awful player can spend so long at a top level club.

Best started 9 games.  He scored six goals.  Three of those goals were in one game.  I hope he's broken out and can really help the club, I really do, but 9 games is an awfully small sample size to get excited about. 

He won me over not so much by the statistics of 6 in 9, but his overall play. I think he looks like a decent centre forward, has good feet, works his bollocks off, gets into good positions and makes a nuiscance of himself. Things that can't be said for any of the rest of our current rabble.

Best started 9 games.  He scored six goals.  Three of those goals were in one game.  I hope he's broken out and can really help the club, I really do, but 9 games is an awfully small sample size to get excited about. 

He won me over not so much by the statistics of 6 in 9, but his overall play. I think he looks like a decent centre forward, has good feet, works his bollocks off, gets into good positions and makes a nuiscance of himself. Things that can't be said for any of the rest of our current rabble.

:thup: It's not like he's just managed to get a few lucky goals. His general play has been impressive, too. We complain that Ranger puts himself about well but never gets a goal, when we get a player that can we say that he's still probably not good enough and it was a purple patch. I'd be more than happy to persevere with Best, that's for sure.

Guest jeffers09

Worth keeping definitely prefer to see him in the line up over Loven and shola,shocked Pardew wants rid hasnt he got like 6 in 9 under him...

Guest WashyGeordie

I still think he has to prove himself but I don't want to knock him anymore.  He was a nice surprise and I hope he can continue to improve, stay at the club and prove me wrong  :coolsmiley:

According to FIFA 11 though his potential has maxed out...

Newcastle have told Leon Best he can depart the club this summer for £4 million, taking the club’s transfer kitty this summer to an attractive £42 million, according to the Journal.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/newcastle-will-take-transfer-kitty-to-42m-with-lat

Demba Ba completes Newcastle transfer as Leon Best 'nears exit'

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/866721-demba-ba-completes-newcastle-transfer-as-leon-best-nears-exit#ixzz1PZCHnrri

Ba's arrival has proved to be bad news for Republic of Ireland striker Best, who has reportedly been told to find a new club.

Newcastle hope to raise £4 million from the sale of the 24-year-old, who has scored six times in 24 league games since his arrival from Coventry City in January 2010.

:thup: It's not like he's just managed to get a few lucky goals. His general play has been impressive, too. We complain that Ranger puts himself about well but never gets a goal, when we get a player that can we say that he's still probably not good enough and it was a purple patch. I'd be more than happy to persevere with Best, that's for sure.

Actually disagree on the point that his general play has been impressive. To be honest, he's looked very average in his general play apart from the Birmingham match where he didn't lose a header (didn't see the West Ham match tbh). However, against Sunderland and the other teams he looked average to poor in his general play, £4million is a very good fee, however, I still think we should take the risk and see if he can perform under a longer time.

Not saying he's shit, just think people are overestimating his ability. There must be a reason why the club would want to sell (if they now really do).

Feel sorry for Best as he managed to rebound from a poor start with the club BUT you just have to back the manager and hope he knows what he's doing with the type of team he wants to build. Personally I think Pardew has earnt his chance to have his own team - I just hope Ashley backs him - especially when Benzema becomes available.

Actually disagree on the point that his general play has been impressive. To be honest, he's looked very average in his general play apart from the Birmingham match where he didn't lose a header (didn't see the West Ham match tbh). However, against Sunderland and the other teams he looked average to poor in his general play, £4million is a very good fee, however, I still think we should take the risk and see if he can perform under a longer time.

Not saying he's s***, just think people are overestimating his ability. There must be a reason why the club would want to sell (if they now really do).

You must have missed the Bolton and Everton games too then. Or you're biased against the lad and have been from the start. Shame.