Leon Best

Godot

Trap doesn't watch much of the games and generally goes with those who have done well for him in friendlys or competitive match's. Keane Doyle Long Cox and to a lesser extent Walters (though hes had issues with him previously over supposed injuries) have done well for him in that regard so he goes with them

I can see what Trapp means, there are certainly times Best can be accused of being lazy and disinterested but he's certainly surprised me this season and has put in some shifts which have been commendable. If this decision can help push him on even further, for Newcastle it can only be beneficial. I just hope he doesn't sulk about it and drop off at all.

Best has never ever struck me as a lazy player. Even when things weren't going right for him the one thing he used to get applauded for was putting himself about. Ridiculous thing to say tbh.

He made a cameo in our last game of the season but declared himself unfit for the Ireland squad a week later.

Probably why Trap is p*ssed off. Daft.

this must be the only reason because Best has been putting a shift in every game so far,

Best body language can sometimes give the impression like he's laid back, but that is far from what he's really like in terms of performance he puts out.

if Traps really believe Best is a lazy player then the IFA really needs to look closely how he's doing his job,  perhaps there's something personal between the two. 

A player that size is unlikely to have the work-rate and mobility of a Beardsley-type. However, I think Best has worked very hard on his fitness and he gets far more involved than he did when he first came to the club. I'd have thought he was worth another look.

Sometimes a face doesn't fit, so maybe it is a personal thing between coach and player going on. For me, especially this season, he always puts himself about really well even if he isn't playing that fantastically, giving 100% at all times.

Trap doesn't watch much of the games and generally goes with those who have done well for him in friendlys or competitive match's. Keane Doyle Long Cox and to a lesser extent Walters (though hes had issues with him previously over supposed injuries) have done well for him in that regard so he goes with them

He seems to be basing his opinion of Best a year ago, which ironically makes him look lazy for not being up to date on his players. Best looks to have moved on a lot even this season and he deserves to be judged on current form not Trappatoni's lazy pre-conceptions. Good for us though, Leon will be even more motivated at club level as it's his only platform.

Guest hobshobs

Has been woking harder but always looks lazy, like he's just that little bit away from full fitness or can't be bothered tracking back and such like. Must have been taking tips off Shola though he is a million miles away from being as consistently lazy and uninterested as that lump.

Stunned by those comments like. He should come watch ameobi and lovenkrands. Best has been one of our hardest working players IMO. Would be interesting to see the stats about ground covered.I could see that He doesn't really track back beyond the halfway line, but that's more about the role we have him in with Ba playing deep. Best runs the channels well as we saw when he almost set Gutierrez up with a great cross.

Their loss, our gain and this will just spur him on.

• 2 weeks later...

Really like the way leon chests down long balls and brings others into play. Think its one of the best parts of his game and has helped us keep possession well

Definitely one of his best attributes.

Been very quiet in the last few games, chance-wise and in terms of attacking threat. That's not to say he's playing poorly like.

thought it was strange time to take him off as, to me, he just seemed to start holding the ball up well and lay it off well also.