Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

With Guerreiro going to PSG, could we get a Graham Carr recommendation XI of players we could have realistically signed but for Mike Ashley’s tightness? Will throw in a couple of his actual signings...what a team.

GK - Zoet

CB - Zouma

CB - Vertonghen

CB - Alderweireld

RWB - Debuchy

LWB - Guerreiro

CM - Matuidi

CM - Cabaye

RW - Sissoko

LW - Lacazette

CF - Aubameyang

I don’t think it took a genius to work out those players are decent

With Guerreiro going to PSG, could we get a Graham Carr recommendation XI of players we could have realistically signed but for Mike Ashley’s tightness?               

Great question and a very good one.

Alderweireld £10m Van Dijk £5m

Debuchy £10m.                                          Vertonghen £10m

Sissoko £1.5m  Wijnaldum £15m

Pepe £8m      Ben Arfa £5m      Aubameyang £20m

Lacazette £20m

So good it wouldn’t even need a keeper :laugh:

I still remember those Van Dijk links/articles from his Groningen days :weep:

That team would be worth about £400million now.

With Guerreiro going to PSG, could we get a Graham Carr recommendation XI of players we could have realistically signed but for Mike Ashley’s tightness?               

Great question and a very good one.

Alderweireld £10m Van Dijk £5m Vertonghen £10m

Debuchy £10m

Sissoko £1.5m  Cabaye £0

Pepe £8m          Aubameyang £20m

Lacazette £20m

So good it wouldn’t even need a keeper or a left wing back :laugh:

I still remember those Van Dijk links/articles from his Groningen days :weep:

That team would be worth about £400million now.

Allegedly wanted Varane and Shaw as well back before they really broke into the Lens and Southampton teams.  Swear he was tracking Dele Ali for seemingly forever before the Spurs swooped in.

I'm certain the whole McClaren/2015 relegation disaster was Ashley getting greedy and realising he had fucked up when all those recommendations that were ignored started transferring to large European clubs at 20-30m a pop.  So he decided to give him full control and let him spend all of those hoarded transfer funds.  Naturally it was too little, too late and it blew up in his fat face .

With Guerreiro going to PSG, could we get a Graham Carr recommendation XI of players we could have realistically signed but for Mike Ashley’s tightness? Will throw in a couple of his actual signings...what a team.

GK - Zoet

CB - Zouma

CB - Vertonghen

CB - Alderweireld

RWB - Debuchy

LWB - Guerreiro

CM - Matuidi

CM - Cabaye

RW - Sissoko

LW - Lacazette

CF - Aubameyang

I don’t think it took a genius to work out those players are decent

Most of that list didn’t eventually leave until a year or two after we were after them.

There's an alternate reality where we bought all those players and Newcastle'd the fuck out of them. Not one of them is worth more than 5mil, they've all had multiple career threatening injuries and the fans have spent years booing every misplaced pass.

There's an alternate reality where we bought all those players and Newcastle'd the fuck out of them. Not one of them is worth more than 5mil, they've all had multiple career threatening injuries and the fans have spent years booing every misplaced pass.

Exactly what would have happened under Pardew and Jonny Lick

• 2 weeks later...

I still have mixed feelings about Carr, like  :lol:

Obviously he brought in McClaren which is a big red mark on his profile. Whether that was because they were mates or because he actually thought it was a good appointment I don't know, either way it was a terrible decision.

To what extent he was complicit and another patsy/yes man for Ashley I'm not sure either. He did want to resign when Uncle Joe became DoF (IIRC), and I want to believe that was because he knew the guy was a joke and (maybe) wanted no part of that setup with him involved. What I mean is that I wanna give him the benefit of the doubt that he actually wanted the best for the club.

He also brought in a fair share of duds like fucking Riviere, but, it's hard to know how far down the list guys like that were. Also have to look at the managers guys like Cabella/Thauvin played under.

He DID bring in some genuine talent like Cabaye and others. I've seen some argue that oh, the French league wasn't being scouted much then by other clubs so we had an untapped market, which seems like a ridiculous argument honestly.

So idk how I feel about the guy really, I think I can say that of all the jokers and assholes of the Ashley regime, Carr is probably low down on my hate list  :lol:

He DID bring in some genuine talent like Cabaye and others. I've seen some argue that oh, the French league wasn't being scouted much then by other clubs so we had an untapped market, which seems like a ridiculous argument honestly.

There was literally no competition for Tiote, Ben Arfa over here, Cabaye (apart from Houllier at Villa who knew about him), Debuchy, Sissoko, Mbiwa (didn’t work out but he’d just captained a team to Ligue 1). No one over here even looked like buying them.

By the time we were getting the likes of Cabella & Rivière, other clubs were looking to that market. Big example being Swansea who outbid us for Gomis & Ayew, and QPR who sneaked in and got Remy. 1-2 years earlier they’d have signed for us.

I still have mixed feelings about Carr, like  :lol:

Obviously he brought in McClaren which is a big red mark on his profile. Whether that was because they were mates or because he actually thought it was a good appointment I don't know, either way it was a terrible decision.

To what extent he was complicit and another patsy/yes man for Ashley I'm not sure either. He did want to resign when Uncle Joe became DoF (IIRC), and I want to believe that was because he knew the guy was a joke and (maybe) wanted no part of that setup with him involved. What I mean is that I wanna give him the benefit of the doubt that he actually wanted the best for the club.

He also brought in a fair share of duds like f***ing Riviere, but, it's hard to know how far down the list guys like that were. Also have to look at the managers guys like Cabella/Thauvin played under.

So idk how I feel about the guy really, I think I can say that of all the jokers and assholes of the Ashley regime, Carr is probably low down on my hate list  :lol:

Nowt stopping him.

Can't believe we're having to talk about this bloke again. First Shola. Colback. Carr. Nearly Allardyce. Who's next? Llambias? Kinnear again?

Fuck this pathetic bag of shit club.

Carr’s top choices like the list at the top of this page were fucked about by Llambias, Charnley and Ashley. The 7th choice purchases that Carr found are the same as Nickson and Rafa. It hasn’t changed. We’ve had good scouting for some time but ass negotiating at a snails pace and a man who’s willing to only splash money at shit fucking retail brands and stores only.

aye people have to remember that the players he often brought in werent even first or second choice.

saying that though - whats the point if there's not a decent coach to utikise/develop them?