Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Ronaldo wins it this year almost by default like. There's no real prolonged competition alongside him and he's continued being colossal. He's probably the most complete player that I've ever seen like.

Ribery is bookies favourite atm.

Should be as well.

Guest firetotheworks

Not for me. He'll be the bookies favourite because it usually goes to a player from a Champion's League or World Cup winning team. That's not to say that it should, or that it always does though.

Ronaldo wins it this year almost by default like. There's no real prolonged competition alongside him and he's continued being colossal. He's probably the most complete player that I've ever seen like.

Why? last season he failed to show up in the Dortmund semi's, Atletico cup final and almost any big game you want to name apart from Barca when they had no coach.

I'm sorry but statistics shouldn't beat big match performances and huge contributions to winning trophies.

Messi outscored and out assisted Ronaldo last season and actually won a trophy.... for all Ronaldo's goals he has zero trophies to his name.

But as i alluded to earlier neither Ronaldo and Messi deserve it because when it mattered they didn't show up.... stat padding against smaller opposition is nice but when it mattered when those teams needed them to drive them to trophies they were nowhere to be found.

Someone from Bayern should get it and that someone should be Ribery.... would have said Robben if he actually was relevant before the Semi finals.

Guest firetotheworks

Why? last season he failed to show up in the Dortmund semi's, Atletico cup final and almost any big game you want to name apart from Barca when they had no coach.

I'm sorry but statistics shouldn't beat big match performances and huge contributions to winning trophies.

Messi outscored and out assisted Ronaldo last season and actually won a trophy.... for all Ronaldo's goals he has zero trophies to his name.

But as i alluded to earlier neither Ronaldo and Messi deserve it because when it mattered they didn't show up.... stat padding against smaller opposition is nice but when it mattered when those teams needed them to drive them to trophies they were nowhere to be found.

Someone from Bayern should get it and that someone should be Ribery.... would have said Robben if he actually was relevant before the Semi finals.

I just think that he's been the best player in the world over the last 12 months. I know that that isn't really how the Ballor D'Or is judged, but I think it should be. Individually I think he's been the best over that time.

Tbf Messi was injured against Bayern and didn't even play in the second leg.

• 2 weeks later...

For all Ronaldo's great scoring..... all time greats lead their teams to trophies.

Like it or not Ronaldo doesn't do that and for all that hype about his Balon D'or credentials again he has won a total of zilch.

Well, maybe you just mean last season because he's hardly won "zilch" in his career. I've seen him carry a Man united team and Real Madrid team to plenty of trophies in the past.

I don't think you can give it to Ribery simply because he was part of an amazing Munich team.

I know it should be irrelevant but I think because Ronaldo has been so consistent for so damn long, add in the fact that Messi normally wins but has had injury problems in the last 12 months, I just feel Ronaldo deserves it.

For all Ronaldo's great scoring..... all time greats lead their teams to trophies.

Like it or not Ronaldo doesn't do that and for all that hype about his Balon D'or credentials again he has won a total of zilch.

Eh?

Not sure if i'v got my facts correct here but Ronaldo won two trophies in 2012 compared to Messi's one yet Messi still won the Ballon d'Or? Sorta makes the trophies argument slightly void imo.

No doubt in my mind Ronaldo should get it. He's miles ahead of Ribery and is currently the best player in the world.

What happened to you, man!?

Eh?

Balon D'or comment was talking about this year... while rest of post was talking about him in general especially since going to Madrid.

I can see why reading it back it would seem confusing.

I think Ibra should get it, sort of like when Giggs won whatever he did, can't remember, as like a 'life time achievement award', he's won big wherever he has been and is truly a great player imho.

If we're talking purely who the best player is and who deserves it purely based on that, it's absurd if Ronaldo doesn't win it this year. Still think Ribery will get it based on the story of the Bayern Munich treble.

Ronaldo simply looks hungrier than Messi currently, regardless of Messi's injury problems.

Give Bayern the team of the year award, if there is such a thing.

Sure Ribery, Robben,lahm etc get headlines but the whole team was important.

Ronaldo is just so ridiculously consistent. Think he's scored in like the last 7-8 el classicos in a row aswell so harsh to say he hasn't turned up in big games.

He used to annoy me with all his theatrics but have been slowly building more and more respect for him recently and certainly this season I think he's playing his best ever football.

Think messi will always edge the popularity contest when he's on top form, especially as it usually means barca win lots of trophies but because he's not been at his best lately I think it would be harsh for Ronaldo not to win this one.