Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

What's the biggest decline in a topflight teams position from 1 year to the next. Is it us is from 2nd to 13th, or did Leeds eclipse it from champions League to relegation? Don't recall if their drop was just over 1 season

Think Man City once won the league and then got relegated the following season

Hypothetical - a player on a yellow is subbed. On his way off the park he gives the ref a load of abuse and is shown another yellow and a subsequent red. Question is, does the sub still come on? At what point does the substitution actually take place? Does the red card mean he can't now be subbed? ???

Hypothetical - a player on a yellow is subbed. On his way off the park he gives the ref a load of abuse and is shown another yellow and a subsequent red. Question is, does the sub still come on? At what point does the substitution actually take place? Does the red card mean he can't now be subbed? ???

Presume it's when he crosses the line off the pitch

If he's still on the pitch when shown the red then the sub can't come on. Depends how vindictive the referee is. I'd imagine most wouldn't bother giving the second yellow if the player was going off the pitch anyway. Surely would have seen it happen with players like Rooney a few times

Pretty sure thats what happened here, player didnt leave the pitch at the nearest side. Judging how much complaining their manager is doing I'm guessing the waiting sub didnt get on.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/irish-league/glentoran/watch-darren-murray-receives-strange-red-card-while-being-substituted-as-glentoran-boss-slams-pathetic-referee-38564396.html

Leeds from 1st to 17th between 91/2 & 92/3 like you say will be close.

Not quite as bad but Blackburn tanked pretty badly the season after they won it iirc.

Only down to 7th. Leicester was worse, down to 12th.

Why do goalkeepers always shout "AWAY" when your defending a corner? I mean don't we all know that's exactly what we're suppose to do?

Happens at every level and just seems utterly pointless 😂

When I played in goals, “away” was shorthand for “Get it the fuck away from me and my goal.”

And no, keepers don’t trust defenders to know exactly what to do. Some might suggest defenders are the drummers of a football team. :lol:

I think there are different rules in the UK for what you're allowed to shout/say compared to over here. Or at least that's what my English coach told me years ago. Either way, keepers are yelling something when they claim a ball in the air.

Yeah shouting mine I can understand as then you know not to go for the ball and get in the keepers way.

Just seems like I should shout "SAVE IT " everytime the opposition take a shot 😂

I always shouted my name. Instructed my defence to ignore anybody who shouted "MINE".

Leeds from 1st to 17th between 91/2 & 92/3 like you say will be close.

Not quite as bad but Blackburn tanked pretty badly the season after they won it iirc.

Only down to 7th. Leicester was worse, down to 12th.

Tbf 7th isn't alll that bad- still underperforming for the squad they had - but for some reason my teenage memory had them floating around lower mid-table having a proper shocker.

I think there are different rules in the UK for what you're allowed to shout/say compared to over here. Or at least that's what my English coach told me years ago. Either way, keepers are yelling something when they claim a ball in the air.

Merit to this - calling “mine” is a yellow card in Australia, right from Under 7s to, I’m pretty sure, semi-pro level (at least)

EDIT Actually, it’s only a free kick until U11s, because little kids don’t get cards here...

Merit to this - calling “mine” is a yellow card in Australia, right from Under 7s to, I’m pretty sure, semi-pro level (at least)

EDIT Actually, it’s only a free kick until U11s, because little kids don’t get cards here...

Does that rule apply to everyone, even if they're going for the ball themselves?

When I did my ref's training (in 1998 so a while back) it was only a yellow card for ungentlemanly conduct if you were stood behind an opponent and said it dishonestly to make them leave it. Packed reffing in a couple years later so not up to date with the nuances in the rules.

I'd also add that even in the 90s every coach of every youth team, even those that just seemed to coach the kids to cheat rather than play football,  was telling their players to "put a name on it" rather than shouting "mine."

Sorry if that's a daft question.

Does that rule apply to everyone, even if they're going for the ball themselves?

When I did my ref's training (in 1998 so a while back) it was only a yellow card for ungentlemanly conduct if you were stood behind an opponent and said it dishonestly to make them leave it. Packed reffing in a couple years later so not up to date with the nuances in the rules.

I'd also add that even in the 90s every coach of every youth team, even those that just seemed to coach the kids to cheat rather than play football,  was telling their players to "put a name on it" rather than shouting "mine."

Sorry if that's a daft question.

Yep, no one can call “mine”, at all, ever.

If that’s weird, try this one - in U7-U11, a “goal kick” is in fact three short passes at the back before “play on”. Part of the FFA’s attempt to impose a tactical discipline on grassroots football.