Arsene Wenger

Parky

I think it's unfair on Wenger, it's not his fault his back 4 have got crocked then even the back up full backs have got crocked along with the first choice reducing him to 4th choice CB's and young kids. I'm sure Wilshere was a big part of his plans this year and his injury hasn't helped, not many teams could cope with that sort of injury list and still be in at least contention for champions league spot.

I feel his signing's down the years have to be questioned but i would never question his philosphy of football. He is for me still the right man to get Arsenal back on track and i don't think they are a million miles away that people seem to think.

People have been saying that their defence is a joke for 5 years now and he's done very little to stop it.  Has himself only to blame when he has over 100m waiting to be spent in the bank.

The money talk is false imo. They seem to have a strict wage budget.

I think it's unfair on Wenger, it's not his fault his back 4 have got crocked then even the back up full backs have got crocked along with the first choice reducing him to 4th choice CB's and young kids. I'm sure Wilshere was a big part of his plans this year and his injury hasn't helped, not many teams could cope with that sort of injury list and still be in at least contention for champions league spot.

I feel his signing's down the years have to be questioned but i would never question his philosphy of football. He is for me still the right man to get Arsenal back on track and i don't think they are a million miles away that people seem to think.

People have been saying that their defence is a joke for 5 years now and he's done very little to stop it.  Has himself only to blame when he has over 100m waiting to be spent in the bank.

I do agree this has been going on for a long time but he has now bought his back 4, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Santos, how many times has he been able to play this back 4 this season?

Guest neesy111

I do agree this has been going on for a long time but he has now bought his back 4, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Santos, how many times has he been able to play this back 4 this season?

That's not even a good defence imo.  Mertesacker is nowhere near cut out for pace of premiership.  Vermaelen is their best player after Van Persie, but like with Woodgate when he was with us doesn't play enough to be relied upon.

The midfield flatters to deceive more often than not:

- Walcott just another SWP.

- Arshavin has been hopeless for the last year.

- Rosicky has never recovered from his injuries.

Without Van Persie, they would be struggling to make top 7.

I'm not saying Wenger should be sacked, but he should be open to criticism (just like any manager) for what many people believe to be questionable decisions. You can appreciate the tremendous work he's done for them while also seeing flaws in him becoming increasingly clear.

His apparent reluctance to address blindingly obvious flaws in his team has been startling. They generated a massive amount of money through the Fabregas and Nasri sales; he used some of that money to get Gervinho and Arteta and settled for Mertesacker and already questionable, young players at the back. It's not like money wasn't there.

Yesterday's future is today's present. I can see why "cretins" are justifiably getting pissed off with him. Injuries are just short-term excuses for a team who've failed time and time again in recent seasons because they have no backbone; no spine.

The money talk is false imo. They seem to have a strict wage budget.

Every season they announce there's money there, when he doesn't spend it rumours flitter about that he didn't really have any money there. Would Wenger really defend the board and say it's his choice so often? Particularly when it then means he gets all the slack for not spending it. I honestly can't see how, in all these years, there hasn't been a bigger deal made about Arsenal not having money available for Wenger to spend if it were true.

after 3 consecutive loss they are still 5th I doubt they go any worst than that they finish there in my opinion.

5th is a failure for them. Plus, if anything happens to RvP, they won't finish 5th.

Yep, it's 4th or bust for Wenger really.

(Imagine if they somehow won the Champions League this year though :laugh:).

Brighton's Owen bid! :laugh:

Regarding the RVP and Wenger story, whilst we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, I reckon there's no conflict as such between the two. But wouldn't be surprised if RVP is becoming frustrated with Arsenal's progress this season.

That's not even a good defence imo.  Mertesacker is nowhere near cut out for pace of premiership.  Vermaelen is their best player after Van Persie, but like with Woodgate when he was with us doesn't play enough to be relied upon.

Schenzy, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Santos, Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Gervinho, Walcott, RVP

Bench: Fabianksi, Gibbs, Koscielny, Song, Rosicky, Oxo, Chamakh

I think that team is only a couple of top signings away from being a classy footballing team. You say the midfield flatters to deceive but how many teams have the potential of Ramsey and Wilshere's ability along with Arteta's footballing ability.

Schenzy, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Santos, Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Gervinho, Walcott, RVP

Bench: Fabianksi, Gibbs, Koscielny, Song, Rosicky, Oxo, Chamakh

I think that team is only a couple of top signings away from being a classy footballing team. You say the midfield flatters to deceive but how many teams have the potential of Ramsey and Wilshere's ability along with Arteta's footballing ability.

I agree, but you could say that every one of the top seven teams is only a couple of top signings (at most) away from being a classy footballing team. The difference is that those signings are replacements for Mertesacker, Walcott and probably Gervinho - where Wenger actually CHOSE Mertesacker and Gervinho this year. You might even include Santos. He has had ample opportunity to improve that team, and missed the boat. Add in the failure to bring in adequate cover for RVP (at the level he should have got) and you can see the frustration.

I think Mertesacker will become a top defender in the league, he's played with numerous CB partnerships now and not had any long term CB partner, i think a lot of defenders would struggle with the constant change. I like Gervinho and Walcott both need to improve on their final decision making and end product however but both have lots of ability. Oxo is the same with a lot of potential. For me Wenger just needs a top striker but it's hard when the formation he plays the top striker coming in is only there for when Arsenal are struggling for a goal to bring on or wait til RVP is injured. Wenger isn't going to change his formation to 4-4-2. Fans may want Wenger sacked but who do they want in to replace him and what kind of football do they want to see their team play?

I think the criticism of Wenger is ridiculous. He lost his two best players over the summer and has had a terrible time with injuries. On the other side, they're still in 5th place, and have managed to bring in a lad who I think is the best young English talent since Rooney.

I think the criticism of Wenger is ridiculous. He lost his two best players over the summer and has had a terrible time with injuries. On the other side, they're still in 5th place, and have managed to bring in a lad who I think is the best young English talent since Rooney.

I'm a massive fan of Wenger but it's not like he didn't know Nasri and Fabregas were likely to be headed out of the door.

Given his board have publically said that he has funds available to him if he wants them I find it pretty incredulous that he didn't have a Cabaye (or similar) lined up before one of those two departed, forcing him into the highly unusual panic mode for players where he wasted money on Arteta, Mertesacker, Santos and wasted wages on Benayoun.

He needs to be planning for a mini overhaul this summer which should see the departures of Arshavin, half of his defenders and the likes of Chamakh, Walcott etc.

These players are just not good enough for a team pushing top 4 year in, year out.

Incidentally, can anyone recall a more spectacular 'turn to shitness' than that of Arshavins?

He looked an absolute worldbeater when he first arrived and now he's terrible.

be stunned if walcott left. i think he's garbage, but think he could be a decent player to have on the bench due to his pace

He's an expensive sprinter imho.

How can a player be surrounded by superb players for the last 5 years and not improve? If anything his game has gone backwards.

be stunned if walcott left. i think he's garbage, but think he could be a decent player to have on the bench due to his pace

He's an expensive sprinter imho.

How can a player be surrounded by superb players for the last 5 years and not improve? If anything his game has gone backwards.

yeh he's not technically good enough to start. imagine him coming on up front against our high line with 20 mins to go, with their players supplying through balls. they could certainly be using him better

Rwanda President

Public displays of dissent from your home fans and your captain during a loss to Manchester United are one thing, but we know Arsene Wenger's position at Arsenal has truly soured when the president of Rwanda tweets that he should leave the club. And that nightmare has now come true, surely causing a great deal of pain for Wenger if he at all cared. Which he probably doesn't.

In a series of tweets directed at Kenyan journalist and fellow Arsenal fan Philip Etale, Kagame made his call for change using more exclamation points than you might expect from a head of state.

From the AFP:

"I very much support Arsenal - but to be honest Wenger needs to coach another team now and Arsenal needs another coach," Kagame wrote. [...]

"When a good team (players) and a good coach fail for long to deliver, one of them has to change, or even both!!," said Kagame, who came to power in the small central African nation in 1994.

"The real/main danger is for anyone to get used to mediocre/lacklustre performance and/or results and accepts to live with it … or keeps finding excuses for it!!!," Kagame wrote.

Making this outburst all the more hurtful is the fact that Wenger once sent Kagame a birthday present and letter thanking the former rebel leader for his backing.

At a bash for his 50th birthday in 2007, Kagame was handed an Arsenal banner signed by the entire squad and a letter in which Wenger told him of his pride at learning that the Rwandan head of state was a keen supporter.

For Kagame's next birthday, Wenger will send him a Spurs banner signed by Ashley Cole and a drawing of a giant middle finger.