Sammy Ameobi released

James

He was playing for Whitely Bay not too long ago. That's why.

Because he was released at 15 or whatever, if the surname actually made any difference he would still be here now or at least into his 20's.

Sammy is here because he has been one of our more talented youth players, not because he is an Ameobi.

Because he was released at 15 or whatever, if the surname actually made any difference he would still be here now or at least into his 20's.

Sammy is here because he has been one of our more talented youth players, not because he is an Ameobi.

We signed him because he's an Ameobi and have kept him because he hasn't played enough to be found out conclusively.

He's Championship level at best.

We signed him because he's an Ameobi and have kept him because he hasn't played enough to be found out conclusively.

Aye, I'm sure the 5 years he has been here he has kept his head down enough for the coaches not to think "hang on, this lad is proper shit, he looks much worse than the other players around his age" that must be it :lol:

He may well not be good enough, and be Championship or even League one standard in the end, but what strikes me is that some people are seemingly wanting it to turn out this way rather than him developing into a decent player for us. In that respect, being the brother of somebody who has long overstayed his due is not helping him in any way, even if (big if) it contributed to him being at the club in the first place. I have never ever rated Shola, but Sammy actually looks like he has the makings of a decent player to me.

Aye, I'm sure the 5 years he has been here he has kept his head down enough for the coaches not to think "hang on, this lad is proper shit, he looks much worse than the other players around his age" that must be it :lol:

Being good in training doesn't automatically translate to being good in real matches, when it actually matters. We only need to look at the Ameobi family tree to know that.

Agree with Ronaldo on this one. The kid has nothing.

:thup:

You might not rate him, but to say he has 'nothing' is ridiculous. He's shown a fair bit of skill and an ability to beat an opponent in tight spaces.

His weakest areas seem to be his decision-making and his temperament, but those can be worked on through coaching and experience. At the moment, he plays too much off the cuff.

I'm also not convinced that his best position is wide in a 4-4-2. My impression is that in his youth and reserve team days, he played further forward and more centrally. It also didn't help that last year he was playing in a struggling side.

A number of scouts have spotted something about him, and I think we've seen glimpses of it. He can produce exceptional moments that can turn a game, so IMO he's well worth persisting with.

Guest neesy111

Agree with Ronaldo on this one. The kid has nothing.

:thup:

You might not rate him, but to say he has 'nothing' is ridiculous. He's shown a fair bit of skill and an ability to beat an opponent in tight spaces.

His weakest areas seem to be his decision-making and his temperament, but those can be worked on through coaching and experience. At the moment, he plays too much off the cuff.

I'm also not convinced that his best position is wide in a 4-4-2. My impression is that in his youth and reserve team days, he played further forward and more centrally. It also didn't help that last year he was playing in a struggling side.

A number of scouts have spotted something about him, and I think we've seen glimpses of it. He can produce exceptional moments that can turn a game, so IMO he's well worth persisting with.

What a load of rubbish.  He scored a good goal v Scunthorpe, whopey do.  His only other decent appearance apart from that was the 0-3 v chelsea where he hit the bar.  Boro fans though he was headless chicken.

For a 21-year-old he's woefully underdevloped physically, technically and mentally. A lot of that is the club's fault, but there it is.

I know he looks akward, but he's quite good technically in my humble opinion, especially compared to other young English footballers. I'm also not sure how you can criticise his mentality; I mean, what do you base this on? He's never done anything on the pitch other than tried his best to make things happen, often when others around him are stood still. I'm not aware of any off the pitch trouble either. Physically he's very lightweight indeed, but if he bulks up a bit he could surprise a few people yet it appears.

Agreed, the lad just needs a loan or 2 more and he'll be well on his way. Just needs another year or so away from us and we'll see what he's made of after that but to say he has nothing, well that's just daft.

Could be alone on this one, can't get bothered going through the thread, but any deal we look to do should be permanent imo, while he still has 'potential'. My honest view is he's f***ing s**** and won't do anything.

Could be alone on this one, can't get bothered going through the thread, but any deal we look to do should be permanent imo, while he still has 'potential'. My honest view is he's f***ing s**** and won't do anything.

Far more chance of that than him turning out to be a PL player, sadly.

Far more chance of that than him turning out to be a PL player, sadly.

Whilst I agree that he won't make it, I don't think he has 'nothing', cos he's got a bit of flair. The sort of flair that will probably tear the Championship a new one in the right side. It's unfair to chastise him for his Boro failings because they were losing (at least) every other game whilst he was there. Plus he got injured. But his goal against Scunthorpe and assist at home to Brugges puts him third in the list of current youngsters who've 'done anything' for us (behind Bigi and Ferguson). So he's not a total carthorse.

Sammy looks OK playing for the reserves against other kids, he's rarely looked like a footballer when playing for the first team.  He's got something but he needs to go somewhere else to get games and gain more experience than we've given him.  I would say it's less than 50/50 that he'll make it in the Premiership.

Whilst I think Sammy has some good attributes, namely his flair and creativity, he has a lot to do before he should even be a fixture on our bench.

Let us all remember that Carroll had a fairly shit and ineffectual loan to Preston and looked like a bit of a write-off before the second half of the relegation season and then the season he exploded for us in the Championship. If Sammy can have another six months in the Championship there's just as much chance he could come back and do well for us then there is he'll still be shit and moved on.

Whilst I think Sammy has some good attributes, namely his flair and creativity, he has a lot to do before he should even be a fixture on our bench.

Let us all remember that Carroll had a fairly s*** and ineffectual loan to Preston and looked like a bit of a write-off before the second half of the relegation season and then the season he exploded for us in the Championship. If Sammy can have another six months in the Championship there's just as much chance he could come back and do well for us then there is he'll still be s*** and moved on.

Carroll was 18 (i think?) when he went to Preston though right? Sammy is 21 now. While he is still young, he's not 'just a kid' anymore. You'd really be expecting to see more from him by now. Look at Haidara for example. Young lad, still naive and a lot to learn but you can see straight away there's talent there. I just don’t see it with Sammy.

i see talent and potential in sammy personally, but it seems totally directionless like he's not being shown how to play properly...i also think his physique needs to develop further

he may well be a late bloomer in combining his skill, speed and strength (to come) to good effect...as stated though, he'll need good coaching for this

Nobody touching on why he was so poor in the Championship, then?

He might turn out to be a decent player but he's got no natural instinct for scoring and has no end product. League One would be fine.

Not defending S. Ameobi here but Carroll was also p*ss poor in the Championship with Preston. And he's a player that you absolutely adore so, i guess players can turn out better than expected in some cases.

Actually I didn't think much of Carroll at all for his first year or so in the spotlight, so he's a good example of not judging a player too early.

That said, when he was 21 he was our number 9 and scoring lots of goals in the PL.

Not trying to defend him but wasn't sammy injured a lot when on loan? Looked half decent before the injury.

It is good news all round though, he gets another year of experience to prove he is worth keeping and it shows we are obviously looking to improve our wings. Would have though we would have kept him around otherwise.

Actually I didn't think much of Carroll at all for his first year or so in the spotlight, so he's a good example of not judging a player too early.

That said, when he was 21 he was our number 9 and scoring lots of goals in the PL.

I think Sammy might be a late developer physically. Might take him a while to gain some strength and stamina. As for reading the game, he needs to be playing. He also needs good coaching. If he gets those then i guess it will be upto him what level he attains.