Sammy Ameobi released

James

There is often an eagerness to judge a player straight away which is always excused with "well at the time.." or comments of that ilk. We saw it with Best, Ba, Perch, Anita, Debuchy, well basically any player who didn't hit the ground running like Cisse.

I may be a bit too the other way but I don't see what is wrong with giving players, especially youngsters, a bit of time to show their ability rather than having to decide whether they will make it based on a few performances that are often several games apart.

After many false dawns I am a little jaded when it comes to our youngster ever actually making it but will always get a little excited when they show those glimpses of promise. Sammy's unpredictability will either be his biggest asset or his downfall but I do love watching players who will just go for it and I hope that confidence isn't knocked out of him. If he makes it here because he is getting 10 "flukey" goals off peoples arses/knees/heads a season I can live with that :D

Just seen a compilation of his match yesterday, really good aside from the goal. Good passing, working hard and some excellent skills. If HBA had a match like that for us we'd be purring tbh.

A promising start, hope he keeps it up. :thup:

Speaking of HBA i would love it if he improved to the standard where the club is comfortable in him being cover for HBA so we don't have to buy one.

I don't see us going out and buying one anyway so it would solve a lot of headaches for fans and manager alike.

Still a long way to go mind, but i live in hope.

Guest Phil K

Oh look, Sammy scores a good goal and plays well in one match and all of a sudden all past criticism was either harsh or inaccurate.

Honestly :lol:

Correct. But maybe he's found his level, or needs a season or two there to improve (which is the whole point of a loan of course)

..............Boro's attendance of 15k though  ;D 

"Geordies at home watching The Bill"  :p

Did they ever say that, the Boro fans ? The Amazing DISAPPEARING Boro fans ?  ???

Class goal. However that defending :lol: Weren't these playing Cardiff? who are currently "storming" the Championship :lol:

People always say stuff like this, but Championship teams repeatedly look competent in the Premier League once promoted, most of the time after not making many signings.  You see equally comical Premier League defending at times.

Indeed. "The Premiership" is the biggest myth going in football and it often gets hilariously debunked when The Fa/League Cup rolls around.

We all knew that a loan to the Championship would mean playing against a poorer standard of opposition and with more time and space on the ball. That's the whole point of the loan. He needed to be there for the last 2 seasons, but our thin squad scuppered that.

It's only one game and maybe he'll struggle more as he plays, and maybe it'll turn out that the Championship is his level - but at least now we're giving him a fair chance to develop.

Guest firetotheworks

Exactly. There's no way that anyone can say with any conviction what will happen with him. There are so many players that made that leap when no one expected it, and players that showed great potential and ended up being shit at this level.

You don't even have to look very far. Chopra was bigged up, Carroll was played down.

The Carroll example might not be very good at this exact moment, but he was fucking mint for us before he left and there's no denying it.

Class goal. However that defending :lol: Weren't these playing Cardiff? who are currently "storming" the Championship :lol:

People always say stuff like this, but Championship teams repeatedly look competent in the Premier League once promoted, most of the time after not making many signings.  You see equally comical Premier League defending at times.

Not really imo. Most of the Championship sides that come up (so the best teams in that league) struggle and have loads of players that look out of their depth. Most of the ones that do stay up first season live off excitement and buzz of their first season back before falling again without significant investment.

You could say Swansea and Norwich recently bucked the trend, but they both only have 2 or 3 players in their starting XI that were there also regulars their promotion seasons. They've rebuilt their teams to keep up the momentum.

I think the jump between the Championship and the Prem is without doubt the most significant jump in the whole of the English pyramid in terms of quality. You certainly don't get such a gap between League 1 and League 2, or between the Conference and League 2 for example. The money differential has created a significant chasm in quality that was all too apparent when we played down there.

he needs to iron out his decision making, work rate, end product and understanding of his position.

But the raw tools are there.

:thup:

All of which would be massively improved by a season loan at Boro.  Such a shame we were having to look to Sammy and co earlier in the season instead of being able to send them out.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sammy has skill and flair but he needs to find himself a position/role in the team to put them to good use, and of course he needs games and a manager to help him do just that. He will struggle to get that at NUFC unless he somehow finds himself in the side on a regular basis. The careers for players like him sadly lie elsewhere. Unless a player has real outstanding ability its always going to be hard for a youngster/academy product to make it at their club, especially at a club like ours. Same applies to Ferguson.

Carroll only really made it here because we went down and when we come back up, didn't spend any money on a striker. If he was coming through now, just like Sammy, he wouldn't make it.

The likes of Sammy can't afford to become pit part players and we cannot afford to develop them through the first-team simply because they are not good enough to play there on a regular basis at that point in time.

Oh look, Sammy scores a good goal and plays well in one match and all of a sudden all past criticism was either harsh or inaccurate.

Honestly :lol:

Correct. But maybe he's found his level, or needs a season or two there to improve (which is the whole point of a loan of course)

..............Boro's attendance of 15k though  ;D 

"Geordies at home watching The Bill"  :p

Did they ever say that, the Boro fans ? The Amazing DISAPPEARING Boro fans ?  ???

Yes they did, it was a regular during their European games.

Bloke I know who works for a PL team reckons Sammy is highly regarded by a number of clubs and are keeping tabs on how he progresses. Nowt earth shattering there though this bloke does rate him very highly.

Guest fraser

I'll be interested to see how he compares with Zaha notwithstanding how short in terms of matches played the period for comparison might be.

I bet that boro fan claiming he would not go to any games while Ameobi is there is looking a bit silly.

1 goal and an assist in 2 games, well done lad.

Boro are only a couple of points of the playoffs, if they could have hun on for a win they would have had the playoff spot.