Sammy Ameobi released

James

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Daily Star he's on £20,000 a week - that's ridiculous for a player of his (lack of) ability.  To put things into perspective Richie is supposedly on £30,000.

I'm sure that some of it - my guess is a lot of it - rests on his shared name and the extent to which his languid style resembles Shola's, but I think there's a huge discrepancy between the quality of Sammy's performances for us and his reputation as a comic no-hoper, a bit of light relief if only he wasn't such a catastrophic parasite.

He's no world beater obviously, he's always struggled with his stamina when asked to play ninety minutes, and he's seemed disinterested and struggled to fit in whenever we've sent him out on loan. But I thought in the one season he featured regularly for us he didn't look entirely out of place as a Premier League player. He was certainly no worse than our other admittedly poor wide options in Gouffran and Cabella, he tended to stick to his position, showing a decent relationship with Dummett and never shirking the need to help cover for the full-back, and I think he has talent in the final third, capable of whipping in a dangerous cross, able to go past people even if its in a fumbling fashion and despite his lack of quickness, and with a lot of patience on the ball and the ability to find a through-pass.

McClaren came in and his inclination was to toss the youngsters: Abeid was sold, Sammy loaned, and although they were the only performers in the pre-season, Perez and Aarons started the season on the bench. I don't think Sammy deserved to lose his place in the squad then, and I think this season he could have really contributed in the Championship. He's looked good to me, confident, composed, even classy, in his precious few substitute appearances, including for a few minutes last night. Tall too, which shouldn't hurt.

He's in the squad because no Championship sides could be bribed into taking him on loan. Bolton in League One have improved since they sacked him off, too. Hopefully we never have to watch him play for us again.

He's in the squad because no Championship sides could be bribed into taking him on loan. Bolton in League One have improved since they sacked him off, too. Hopefully we never have to watch him play for us again.

I'm sure that some of it - my guess is a lot of it - rests on his shared name and the extent to which his languid style resembles Shola's, but I think there's a huge discrepancy between the quality of Sammy's performances for us and his reputation as a comic no-hoper, a bit of light relief if only he wasn't such a catastrophic parasite.

He's no world beater obviously, he's always struggled with his stamina when asked to play ninety minutes, and he's seemed disinterested and struggled to fit in whenever we've sent him out on loan. But I thought in the one season he featured regularly for us he didn't look entirely out of place as a Premier League player. He was certainly no worse than our other admittedly poor wide options in Gouffran and Cabella, he tended to stick to his position, showing a decent relationship with Dummett and never shirking the need to help cover for the full-back, and I think he has talent in the final third, capable of whipping in a dangerous cross, able to go past people even if its in a fumbling fashion and despite his lack of quickness, and with a lot of patience on the ball and the ability to find a through-pass.

McClaren came in and his inclination was to toss the youngsters: Abeid was sold, Sammy loaned, and although they were the only performers in the pre-season, Perez and Aarons started the season on the bench. I don't think Sammy deserved to lose his place in the squad then, and I think this season he could have really contributed in the Championship. He's looked good to me, confident, composed, even classy, in his precious few substitute appearances, including for a few minutes last night. Tall too, which shouldn't hurt.

;) A good analysis which is not likely to go down well on here.

He's a player who we've neither backed nor let go. It seems that he and Atsu were competing for the same role, and Atsu has won out. It's very likely he'll leave now, but even so I'm still not entirely sure what Benitez is going to decide. As you say, he does produce these moments of class.

Making no bones about it, I'd play him. I think he's probably developed as a player since we first sent him out on loan and I'd give him a chance to show it.