Sammy Ameobi released

James

Ferguson has looked the part several times when he's played which has earned him his international starts. There's a gulf in talent between him and Sammy.

While I agree with the idea that Ferguson is further on in his development than Ameobi - his international caps have been for Northern Ireland, currently the 96th best team in the world and he has 6 caps.  I dare say that if Ameobi was from Northern Ireland he might have the squad a few times.

Ferguson has looked the part several times when he's played which has earned him his international starts. There's a gulf in talent between him and Sammy.

He hasn't done anything that significant in the last 12-18 months, though. Couple of good assists this season, yes.

I'm sure he'll eventually end-up to be the better player out of the two, but Ferguson has been as inconsistent as Ameobi when he's played.

Not sure if you're serious about the international starts.

He's looked either a good player or a bag of potential every time I've seen him play. As for starting for Norn Iron, it's nowt to be sniffed at given his extremely limited game time for us and underdeveloped physique. Says a little something about his footballing talent, for me.

He's looked either a good player or a bag of potential every time I've seen him play. As for starting for Norn Iron, it's nowt to be sniffed at given his extremely limited game time for us and underdeveloped physique. Says a little something about his footballing talent, for me.

You could be describing Sammy there.  I maintain that Sammy would have nearly as many caps for NI as Ferguson does if he was eligible. You'd think he'd be able to displace Will Grigg of Walsall or Billy McKay of Inverness.

Has Sammy ever delivered a cross that anyone said "Gee, that was a good cross"? Ever?

Whenever I see Ameobi play, he dribbles with his head down until he loses the ball in one fashion or another. Ferguson, on the other hand, actually looks capable of being a component in a team.

Has Sammy ever delivered a cross that anyone said "Gee, that was a good cross"? Ever?

Whenever I see Ameobi play, he dribbles with his head down until he loses the ball in one fashion or another. Ferguson, on the other hand, actually looks capable of being a component in a team.

And why is it only about the crossing? Have you seen Ferguson set-up goals in the same style of link-up play that Ameobi did against Bruges, for example?

Got talent, but get him out on loan as soon as possible to a Championship club.

Aye, undoubted talent but seems to play the game like a schoolkid tossing it off in the school yard.

Definitely needs to drop a level or two to see if he can acquire the maturity he needs to start progressing.

Guest bimpy474

I hate the way he runs at a player and doesn't try to pass it until he is a inch away, he loses the ball so many times like that it drives me mental.

Yeah I do that, difference is I can get away with it because I'm playing against a bunch of fatties and nobody who's professional :lol:

Kid needs a loan. We can't afford to lose players though. What a club.

He definitely needs a loan, totally agree. Some regular football at a decent standard would do him a world of good.

This. Ferguson also looks so much more committed, while Sammy has the same lazy approach every time. His head down dribbling reminds me of a crossover between Jonas and Obertan, and rarely results in anything other than the opposition regaining possession. His non-existent attempts to retrieve the ball again also irritates me.

My main problem with Sammy is that he has too much 'Shola' about him. The gangliness, the laziness, the lack of end product and the casual attitude like nothing is really important. He also enjoys throwing himself to ground which is becoming really irritating. I'm not sure how much a loan will do for him because it won't fix some of the key issues with him.

Seen plenty of flashes of skill from Sammy, but overall he's lacking football experience and it's evident in how effective he is. Before I thought he'd be a useful first team squad player, but now feel he should be loaned out asap to the Championship so he can get a run of games and start to learn how to be more effective. He'd come back much better for us.

Ferguson, for me, has always looked dangerous when going forward and overall more effective in games for us. I don't think he needs to be loaned out, he's useful enough as a cover for first team for now and probably should get more game time late in matches to stretch the opposition. Would prefer we try to coach him to be a left side forward/winger than a wing back. He's not built for defending at all.

Worse than s***!

Have a word with yourself. He is a young lad learning his trade who has been thrust in at a level he's not yet ready for. He needs to go out on loan but due to our ineptitude in building a squad he hasn't been allowed to do so. Some of our fans have a terrible attitude towards some of our younger players who aren't yet ready for first team football. Some might never be ready but to hurl such abuse at them isn't going to help is it?

I didn't 'hurl' shit AT him, would never do that. Just that i think he's shit. Not his fault that he gets game time when he shouldn't in an ideal situation. I honestly can't see him become a quality player. My post 'worse than shit' probably was a bit over the top though, id agree with that.

Not often I agree with Ronaldo but that is my opinion too.

Guest bimpy474

Aye, you do wonder what Pardew sees. He always talks about how Sammy can wiggle out of little situations, forgetting he loses the ball 25 times before he might do that once a game.

Lad needs some regular playing time, League One would be perfect.

Aye, you do wonder what Pardew sees. He always talks about how Sammy can wiggle out of little situations, forgetting he loses the ball 25 times before he might do that once a game.

Lad needs some regular playing time, League One would be perfect.

The fact we weren't trying to win on Saturday might have been a factor in him starting.

He doesn't have the natural talent/technique. Most of his 'trick's anyone can learn (not literally)

What tricks are those? Can't say I've ever saw him as somebody that tries to do tricks, but he can beat people due to his pace and footwork. Which is all part of his natural talent.

Usually works quite well as an impact sub I think.  Although I'm not sure we've ever scored or owt because of him coming on?  Barring the odd Europa game, he has almost exclusively looked shite when starting.

Just to echo what others are saying.  He should be out on loan getting experience, but because of the mess we made of the summer window, he's playing regularly  :undecided:

Usually works quite well as an impact sub I think.  Although I'm not sure we've ever scored or owt because of him coming on?  Barring the odd Europa game, he has almost exclusively looked shite when starting.

This is all getting a bit what-have-the-Romans-ever-done-for-us. He won us a League Cup tie last season, when he beat a couple of defenders and fired in a shot from outside the area.

And really that's far from being the only time when he's caused defenders problems.

Scepticism is okay, but he seems to have inherited the Ameobi syndrome, where only his mistakes get recognised.

I think it has been mentioned on here in the past that he suffers from asthma yes? If so that's probably why at the moment he's only read to come off the bench where he looks a lot better prospect than he does when starting. Like Shola he seems to have stamina issues and he can't seem to last the pace at the moment.