Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

If you're Man Utd, why noy buy Baines for big money? You know he's the best LB in the league, he likes the manager, you have the money.

Is Baines that much of an upgrade that you spend what is looking to eventually be, close to £20 million?!

Well that's a matter of opinion I suppose. It's too much money for a LB really, but Man Utd have a lot of money and Baines is hot property.

Evra's on the decline anyway isn't he? They have enough games a season. Fergie was never shy of shunting someone out of the team.

Wasnt he making noises about returning to France at some point before he retires? PSG & Monaco would both be ready to sign him if Baines came in.

Selling to either of those would probably bring in an offer more than Evra is worth too. Not that I think Man U would go to £20m for Baines.

Guest Roger Kint

Evra's on the decline anyway isn't he? They have enough games a season. Fergie was never shy of shunting someone out of the team.

Wasnt he making noises about returning to France at some point before he retires? PSG & Monaco would both be ready to sign him if Baines came in.

Selling to either of those would probably bring in an offer more than Evra is worth too. Not that I think Man U would go to £20m for Baines.

Agree on both. Can see them getting him for about £15m with a few add ons to come in all honesty.

So do they then sell Evra? If not Evra will be pissed off right off the bat with Moyes, and he'll probably have some backing in the dressing room.

This thing is going to go wrong. I'm calling it right now.

:lol: Based on him wanting to sign Leighton Baines?

I don't know if Moyes is going to work out at ManU, but this is hardly a stick to beat him with. They've got the means with which to stock-pile, exactly like Man City and Chelsea have and continue to do. It's straight out of the title-chasers' handbook and Baines is a brilliant player. He's better than what they've got and will improve them.

For the money they'd be talking which would be £20m+ they could do better.

Better than a guy who is proven to be the best in his position in the league?

Struggled his entire career to get past Ashley Cole in the England team.

Full backs don't tend to go for much money, especially ones that are near 29. I guess you could argue that Baines is almost a winger for Everton, with the amount of work he does. He's a class player. But with Van Persie on set pieces, I'm not sure why they'd need Baines.

Guest icemanblue

Baines' price will need to be £20m+ simply because of how important he is to Everton. Forget age, even ability. His price will be what Everton are willing to accept in order for it to be worth them allowing him to leave. That often seems to get forgotten in transfers, these days. It doesn't matter how much he's 'worth' in general terms, it's how much he's worth to Everton.

For the money they'd be talking which would be £20m+ they could do better.

Better than a guy who is proven to be the best in his position in the league?

Struggled his entire career to get past Ashley Cole in the England team.

I was on about Fellaini.

Baines' price will need to be £20m+ simply because of how important he is to Everton. Forget age, even ability. His price will be what Everton are willing to accept in order for it to be worth them allowing him to leave. That often seems to get forgotten in transfers, these days. It doesn't matter how much he's 'worth' in general terms, it's how much he's worth to Everton.

Of course, and that's fine.

It's the fact Man U seem like they are going to pay anywhere near that, which is ridiculous. When they have Evra who is still one of the best in the league, and a backup who seems pretty decent too, and whom they only just got last season!

Yeah I'd agree with that. He's past peak value and Everton can't attract anyone better. He provides an incredible number of chances. May as well stick with him for the rest of his career.

Fellaini doesn't get enough credit. He's a good footballer, and doesn't have to be utilised as a beanpole like he was at Everton.

He gets plenty enough credit. His regular inability to pass a ball with confidence 10 yards has nothing to do with any tactics.

It's also what he's worth to Man United though. It's hardly "forgotten" in transfers these days at all. That's how all transfers work.

Baines has been better than Cole for a good two years, never understood why he hasn't got more time for England.

Probably because Cole's more or less been England's most consistent/best player for the last decade.

Baines has been better than Cole for a good two years, never understood why he hasn't got more time for England.

Probably because Cole's more or less been England's most consistent/best player for the last decade.

Yep. England's best defender for the last 6-8 years.

Yep. England's best defender for the last 6-8 years.

I would go as far as best, or at least most consistent player.