Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

On the subject of overrated players, step forward Cesc. He's good when pissing over the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, etc, but has done sod all in big games for donkey years now. Isn't fast, isn't slippery like Xavi, doesn't dribble all that well (like Iniesta), hit a purple patch 2 seasons ago in terms of goals from midfield which I'm not sure he can reproduce, gets reduced to constantly trying desperate through balls in said big games (especially CL ones), and when wound up he looks and acts like what I'd imagine a 5 foot 9 giant rodent able to play football to look/act like.

He's a top, top player but his constant injuries would be a concern if I was looking at him.

On that subject me and a friend were commenting the other day how hilarious it would be if after all the saga he ended up failing the medical.

Can't say he is "overrated" as everyone would agree he is not on the same level as Xavi and Iniesta.

:lol: surprising that with them being the third and second best players in the world currently as voted by their peers.

He had a poor season by his standards last time - either due to injuries or being distracted by the Barca-transfer saga, I'm not sure. But at his best, mentally and physically, he's a great player and would get a place in any side in the world.

It looks like he's come to the end of the road with Arsenal though. It's gone on too long now.

Guest Heneage

According to the live FSC broadcast, Sjneider(sp?) has already agreed terms with Man U, just waiting for the clubs to hash it out.

And yet Goal.coms Serie A editor claimed the total opposite...(Discrediting Goal btw).

Frediel >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gomes

Who?

Brad Friedel looked average at best lest season, very slow and reactions starting to go.

Friedel spent last year veering between being awesome and being an absolute liability. He's rooted to his line these days.

If you'd taken a straw poll - and this was certainly the case with the people i talk to who sit near me - of Villa fans at the end of last year, there would have been almost unanimous agreement we needed a new goalkeeper.

That's why I was utterly amazed when Spurs gave him a two year contract.

Baffling.

Surely he isn't going to be your number one, is he?

I don't think Cesc is as good as Xavi or Iniesta BUT I also think he'd look much better in the Barça team than he already does!

I don't think he's even on the same planet as those two, to be frank.

I don't think Cesc is as good as Xavi or Iniesta BUT I also think he'd look much better in the Barça team than he already does!

I don't think he's even on the same planet as those two, to be frank.

Agree with you. Fabregas is 2nd or 3rd bracket in terms of the best players in the world. Those two are very comfortably top bracket.

Still don't understand why Wenger doesn't take the money and run, it's insane. Honestly can't see Cesc producing his best at Arsenal again with all this going on. And £35m for a player who look to be only sat on the bench half of his first season at least, who isn't fully committed to the cause (no matter how much of this 'professional, will carry on doing his job to the best of his abilities rubbish), seems like a fucking good deal. I understand Wenger wanting to stand his ground but there's a point where it's got to be better for the team as a whole to do this?

FWIW, if Barca do get him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the door in a few years. Something about it that screams failure to me. Probably won't happen that way at all, like. :lol:

Still don't understand why Wenger doesn't take the money and run, it's insane. Honestly can't see Cesc producing his best at Arsenal again with all this going on. And £35m for a player who look to be only sat on the bench half of his first season at least, who isn't fully committed to the cause (no matter how much of this 'professional, will carry on doing his job to the best of his abilities rubbish), seems like a f***ing good deal. I understand Wenger wanting to stand his ground but there's a point where it's got to be better for the team as a whole to do this?

FWIW, if Barca do get him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the door in a few years. Something about it that screams failure to me. Probably won't happen that way at all, like. :lol:

The similarities with Gerard López give me nightmares indeed: playmaker that left our B team for Valencia, made it big there, was rebought for an insane fee and went on to become an abject injury-ridden failure.

Regarding Wenger, if he loses Nasri and Cesc is back to square zero after 6 years of "getting ready". So I can see why he clings for dear life to both.

Which similarities make you think that Fabregas will go on to become an abject injury-ridden nightmare?

None, it's just the chronic pessimist in me. It's just anechdotical stuff and the whole "prodigal son coming home" hyperbole that went on at the time too. It hurt the lad as hype was sky-high.

Cesc's fitness does worry me though, although he's so pivotal to Arsenal that has been rushed to action many times.

The fucking cheek of a Barcelona fan being a "chronic pessimist" when it comes to football.

"We're buying the third best central midfielder in the world to back-up the two best central midfielders in the world, who also play for us, but I just can't help but feel a little unsure about it all."