Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Some of my earliest memories of football are from the '98 World Cup. I was absolutely football mad by that point though (aged 7), so I must have been concious of the game, but I think I'd seen next to nothing of live footy. Bar the odd cup game, probably.

I can remember '98 vividly tbh. First game I watched was Brazil vs Scotland when I got in from school. Think England had beaten Tunisia earlier in the afternoon; that was the only game I didn't see. Can remember being in hysterics at Valderrama's hair in our next match against Colombia. Can remember me Dad and I harping on and on during the Romania game to get Owen on. :laugh:

It was so exciting though. First proper feast of football I ever took in. I even had that book where you had to collect all the silver coins with the players' faces on. Had every one, down to the last Andy Hinchcliffe. :lol: I've still got that book somewhere, I think.

Oh, and Jean-Michel Jarre on ITV's opening and closing credits. :aww: Yeah, I f***ing loved WC'98. Was the first computer game I saved up to buy, too.

I vaguely (was only 6 years) remember the 96 Olympics simply because we won the football and there were massive celebrations, but 1998 is my first coherent memory of the sport. Such a wonderful tournament.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47956000/jpg/_47956191_1998_oliseh_getty512.jpg

:smitten: Oliseh against Spain is probably still my favourite football moment. I naively thought we were actually going to win it after our group stage performance. There wasn't any television in my home, so I didn't actually get to see many of the games aside from the Nigeria games and the big knockout matches, but I still followed it very closely. I supported Brazil and Ronaldo after Denmark beat us and was in a bad mood for a month when France beat them. :lol:

Guest neesy111

Don't remember 94 world cup at all.  Euro 96 was my 1st proper tournament to follow. :footy:

First time I cried at football!

Semi final?

Guest Howaythetoon

USA '94 was for me the best World Cup I've witnessed. I didn't see much of Italia '90 outside of England matches and even then I simply wasn't interested in football. All others since have been poor in comparison, although France '98 had its moments. USA though... so many stars turned up and actually performed while so many new ones emerged.

There were lots of shocks, lots of goals and some very different styles of play. I was rooting for Ireland due to Jackie Charlton but after they went out I was split between Italy and Brazil. In the end I went with Brazil and celebrated their win like I would celebrate a Toon win. I also loved watching matches late at night or early morning. Everything about the finals were great although the actual final itself was very poor. With England not involved, I think for many, we could detach ourselves and just enjoy the football. That's how it felt anyway.

And KK's commentating...  :love:

He said live on air, that Cafu is someone "the Geordies would love at Newcastle", the commentator was like but Kev, this is the World Cup, you can't talk about Newcastle man. KK was watching the games and thinking live on air x player would be great for Newcastle.

That summer when the tournament finished we were linked with everyone from Stoichkov to Baggio himself.

I also remember KK saying Leonardo's elbow wasn't even an elbow and I could be wrong but I'm sure he wanted to sign the American defender Lalas adding that doing so could make us huge in America.

Guest Howaythetoon

'Daddy or Chips' v2 - 'Keegan or Sharks'. Come on then HTT, PICK.

Sorry KK... but Sharks!