Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Completely unrelated but Aston Villa 4-1 Watford from 1986 was on ITV4 the other morning, watched it in the gym. Were you there brummie?

Im not sure brummie uses a gym mate.:p

The last time I used a gym was about the time of the match he's talking about ;-)

Can't really remember if i was there. Stands a chance. That was the year before i went to Newcastle for college, so I was probably at pretty much all the home matches.

The thing about last season with Villa Brummie, I don't think Lambert was as prepared as he will be for this one.

You guys had little money, and wanted to get in younger players that were affordable, and whose value could increase. Not sure this is an area he had a particular strength in scouting/buying from necessarily. He ended up getting largely English youngsters from the lower leagues, and giving your academy players a chance, but now he's getting them from all over Europe it seems.

Think you'll ultimately end up with some really talented youngsters this summer, who are more in the Benteke mould i.e. ones from smaller leagues or teams, who are therefore not as obvious.

These signings could easily all flop, and I am still worried that we need more experience, so it could just as well turn into another season of toil.

I genuinely think, though, that the McLeish year was like a kick in the arse to us - to remind us just how miserable football can be. I remember the Graham Turner dismantling of the European Cup side, the awful Billy McNeill season, 86-87 where we actually did get relegated, and I can honestly say, the McLeish year was more depressing than either of them.

After that, it's much easier to enjoy things.

The thing about last season with Villa Brummie, I don't think Lambert was as prepared as he will be for this one.

You guys had little money, and wanted to get in younger players that were affordable, and whose value could increase. Not sure this is an area he had a particular strength in scouting/buying from necessarily. He ended up getting largely English youngsters from the lower leagues, and giving your academy players a chance, but now he's getting them from all over Europe it seems.

Think you'll ultimately end up with some really talented youngsters this summer, who are more in the Benteke mould i.e. ones from smaller leagues or teams, who are therefore not as obvious.

These signings could easily all flop, and I am still worried that we need more experience, so it could just as well turn into another season of toil.

I genuinely think, though, that the McLeish year was like a kick in the arse to us - to remind us just how miserable football can be. I remember the Graham Turner dismantling of the European Cup side, the awful Billy McNeill season, 86-87 where we actually did get relegated, and I can honestly say, the McLeish year was more depressing than either of them.

After that, it's much easier to enjoy things.

And with that, we finally see Lerner's genius thinking behind the McLeish decision :lol:. It's the only reasonable explanation. (or that he's completely clueless).

Leffe, it'd have to be a work of unspeakable genius. I'm not sure shedding thousands of season ticket holders is what he was aiming for in the process, mind.

I know people think I go on and on about it here, but mere words can't express just how horrifically depressing that season was. The way we played was so, so embarrassing. If i had been a fan of another club, I'd have wanted us to go down for it, it was that bad.

Leffe, it'd have to be a work of unspeakable genius. I'm not sure shedding thousands of season ticket holders is what he was aiming for in the process, mind.

I know people think I go on and on about it here, but mere words can't express just how horrifically depressing that season was. The way we played was so, so embarrassing. If i had been a fan of another club, I'd have wanted us to go down for it, it was that bad.

Have you watched us play lately? Bring back any of those memories for you?

Have you watched us play lately? Bring back any of those memories for you?

To be entirely honest, you weren't half as bad as we were, and even if you were, at least Pardew has managed the occasional season not playing like that. McLeish was just doing what he always does.

It wasn't even ineptitude on his part. That was his thing, his MO, his way of doing things.

Cristiano Ronaldo ‏@Cristiano 25m

All the news about my renewal with Real Madrid are false.

I love how instead of a bio he/his company have a link to an image rights contract :lol: