Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Can probably agree that it's ~£20m, then. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. It's a fair price for the player but I feel we could've got more out of a club like PSG, especially given how much their manager wants him. £20m is five times what we paid for him though and we're completely free of relegation, so I'm not surprised we've accepted.

Guest BenArfa10

I've supported this club for nearly 16 years and this type of shit has been going on throughout the entirety of that time. I just fucking despair. Looks like the most we're getting from this deal would be just under £25m which is a very good price considering we paid less than £5m for him two and a half years ago. I can't blame Cabaye for wanting to join one of the richest and most upcoming clubs in football but it is still the French league and in that respect he is taking a step back to where he came from. As long as we get a suitable replacement who is on par or has the potential to be as good as Cabaye (Grenier/Cabella) and a striker with the money then I won't be too disappointed. It is just the timing of it yet again puts us in hot water.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we tried to push through a Cabella deal now we have then influx of cash but we'll have to wait and see.

What I am disappointed in however is AP's comments saying that we are not fighting for the Champions League. It was only last month that he said if his players think they can reach the CL then they should prove it. Now obviously being 7 points from 4th placed Liverpool (4 points if we beat Norwich tomorrow) doesn't do enough proving for Pardew. It's just the attitude that stinks. Well 'we're not a Spurs an Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U, City or Chelsea. It's just an excuse to not try any harder than you have to and it's total BS.

It doesn't matter what we got. We'll not spend anywhere near £14m on his replacement nevermind £19m, £25m, etc.

You keep saying this, but whatever we spend on the direct replacement the amount we get certainly does matter for future transfers.

Think £20m is about his value.

Doesn't matter when the ultimate result will see us declining on the pitch like.

Seems petty to think its too low considering its by a fair distance the 2nd highest fee the clubs ever got but can't help but feel that, probably would have gotten more if it was to another english club tbh.

It doesn't matter what we got. We'll not spend anywhere near £14m on his replacement nevermind £19m, £25m, etc.

You keep saying this, but whatever we spend on the direct replacement the amount we get certainly does matter for future transfers.

:thup: Carroll's sale saved us from having to actually invest in the squad for the next couple of years. I suspect this will have a similar outcome.

This sale will take our profit on transfer fees - since Ashley took over - to something around £40m iirc.

Guest bimpy474

I bet the papers get wind of us targetting players, PR bullshit will be in overdrive to palm us off.

Aye I'm awaiting that SSN Exclusive on who we are not going to get over the line

Exactly.

:thup: Carroll's sale saved us from having to actually invest in the squad for the next couple of years. I suspect this will have a similar outcome.

This sale will take our profit on transfer fees - since Ashley took over - to something around £40m iirc.

:thup: Next 2 or 3 transfer windows sorted.

@MsiDouglas: ...for this to put contingencies in place. Sissoko likely to fill hole in meantime. #nufc

I hope he proves me wrong but from what I've seen Sissoko's touch is nowhere near good enough to play anywhere in the middle