Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Not sure PSG even need to unsettle him tbh. Fairly sure that Cabaye has known for a while that they want him and it seems to be just a case of haggling over the fee. He was always going to leave the club either this window or the next one.

the theory is if he throws another tantrum about leaving we'd lower our asking price just to remove a bad influence on the dressing room.

Reality however has Mike Ashley in the way so god only knows how that would work out.

Can't see Ashley giving the first fuck in that respect. His price is his price, we don't know what it is but I highly doubt Ashley will knock a few million off just because Cabaye throws his toys out of the pram.

as I said its the standard theory and it must have some basis in reality otherwise clubs wouldn't continue attempts to unsettle players but Ashley is hardly conventional in football club owner terms.

We shouldn't need to report them for the tapping up FIFA should just slap them down but they won't. Everyone involved knows the fee is nowhere near enough and is an attempt to get Cabaye to go in a huff again. Not convinced he will do that this time though, he also needs to realize that its very unlikely that PSG will up the offer enough it could however spark Man Ure into offering more. This could be why this story has hit the press.

FIFA/UEFA don't give half a shit about tapping up, was anything done to Barcelona with the very public and regular tapping up of Fabregas for over a year? Real Madrid with just about anybody? Harry Redknapp again just about anybody?

He'll have 2 years left on his contract come June and will be 3 years into his contract. He could use the Webster ruling to buy out his contract for relatively little money given what we paid for him. I'll be amazed if we don't sell given the risks.

He'll have 2 years left on his contract come June and will be 3 years into his contract. He could use the Webster ruling to buy out his contract for relatively little money given what we paid for him. I'll be amazed if we don't sell given the risks.

Nah.

I do find it funny when people on here kick off about receiving bids for lower than a player's value in an effort to unsettle the player. :lol:

I can honestly say I never once thought our low bids were to unsettle players but rather the highest we'll ever go. Bit different when a club with a bottomless pit of money that can conjure massive sponsorship deals out of thin air (and backdate them) that gets them more commercial income than any club in Europe

Not sure PSG even need to unsettle him tbh. Fairly sure that Cabaye has known for a while that they want him and it seems to be just a case of haggling over the fee. He was always going to leave the club either this window or the next one.

the theory is if he throws another tantrum about leaving we'd lower our asking price just to remove a bad influence on the dressing room.

Reality however has Mike Ashley in the way so god only knows how that would work out.

Can't see Ashley giving the first fuck in that respect. His price is his price, we don't know what it is but I highly doubt Ashley will knock a few million off just because Cabaye throws his toys out of the pram.

as I said its the standard theory and it must have some basis in reality otherwise clubs wouldn't continue attempts to unsettle players but Ashley is hardly conventional in football club owner terms.

You're not wrong there. :lol:

Still think we've leaked it in the hope another club becomes interested and the price is forced up. This theory is much more plausible imo. 

I do find it funny when people on here kick off about receiving bids for lower than a player's value in an effort to unsettle the player. :lol:

I can honestly say I never once thought our low bids were to unsettle players but rather the highest we'll ever go. Bit different when a club with a bottomless pit of money that can conjure massive sponsorship deals out of thin air (and backdate them) that gets them more commercial income than any club in Europe

Well that's generally the end result, which is quite convenient for us.

how often has this actually happened? Clubs seem reluctant to actually take advantage of it given how it could affect them as much as the guy they're nicking the guy off.

We offer less for players not not to this extreme, we may offer £4m when a clubs says £8m and get them for closer to our offer but this PSG offer is a real pisstake.

has it? Looking back our transfer business has tended to the taking advantage of contract situations be it running out (Sissoko or Gouffran) or clauses (Cabaye) only real case of unsettling a player was Debuchy that I can think of anyway in recent times anyway.

Besides whats annoying me is the very public tapping up followed by lowball offer thats just dirty tricks

You're not wrong there. :lol:

Still think we've leaked it in the hope another club becomes interested and the price is forced up. This theory is much more plausible imo.

probably, only other plausible theory for me is his agent leaking it to try and force our hand or drag out a more preferable bidder (eg Man Utd if he wants to stay in England)

has it? Looking back our transfer business has tended to the taking advantage of contract situations be it running out (Sissoko or Gouffran) or clauses (Cabaye) only real case of unsettling a player was Debuchy that I can think of anyway in recent times anyway.

Besides whats annoying me is the very public tapping up followed by lowball offer thats just dirty tricks

Hatem but that was more about him being unhappy over a broken promise than anything else, we used him being pissed off to our advantage.

Hatem but that was more about him being unhappy over a broken promise than anything else, we used him being pissed off to our advantage.

aye was more using a situation to our advantage than actively trying to engineer it.

Don't know why I'm really annoyed by it tbh every club has done it at some stage and no one has the moral high ground in this regard.

Interesting view

Simon Bird ‏@simonbirdmirror 2m

PSG £14m for Cabaye looks like a deliberately low bid to keep boss Blanc happy. If directors are serious they'll add £6m plus quickly.

Expand

Maybe we're not the only club that does fake bids :yao:

Interesting view

Simon Bird ‏@simonbirdmirror 2m

PSG £14m for Cabaye looks like a deliberately low bid to keep boss Blanc happy. If directors are serious they'll add £6m plus quickly.

Expand

Its something I was thinking possible alright, Blanc was certainly never first choice for the job and from the outside I'd wonder how secure his job would be if a bigger name coach became available.

I watched the first half of Guingamp vs PSG and had to turn it off. Blanc is the glammed up version of Pardew tactically. Negativity Central. The quality of football, despite the millions of pounds worth of talent on show was unbelievably poor.