Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

The old UEFA Cup games had a horrible tendency to bring out the charvas. I remember a scrote behind me collapsing after boasting to his mates that he was going to swallow a lump of "tac". He was carried out by two stewards, twenty minutes later. Arsehole.

I think it was Fenerbahce we were playing at the time.

:lol:

The old UEFA Cup games had a horrible tendency to bring out the charvas. I remember a scrote behind me collapsing after boasting to his mates that he was going to swallow a lump of "tac". He was carried out by two stewards, twenty minutes later. Arsehole.

I think it was Fenerbahce we were playing at the time.

Lump of tac ffs :lol:

Guest neesy111

I remember the CL music. That game v Juventus was possibly the best atmosphere ever. :sweetjesus:

Crowd was pretty poor that night. About 40,000 iirc.

Was a Full house, remember it well.  One of those famous european nights of ours.

The kiev & feyernoord games had the 40k attendances.

Guest BooBoo

I've not got the figure to hand but Juve wasn't a sell out. Generally speaking our European attendances are never that fantastic.

Guest neesy111

I've not got the figure to hand but Juve wasn't a sell out. Generally speaking our European attendances are never that fantastic.

Yeap you're correct.

The reason they were low was because ST holders had to buy all 3 group games in a block and Shepherd jacked up the prices to try and cash in.

Guest BooBoo

Greedy bugger.

I think towards the mid 00s fans were a bit bored of Europe in that the novelty had worn off, which was reflected in a half empty SJP for some of the UEFA Cup games.

If we qualify this year, hopefully ticketing prices will be sensible.

Guest neesy111

Greedy bugger.

I think towards the mid 00s fans were a bit bored of Europe in that the novelty had worn off, which was reflected in a half empty SJP for some of the UEFA Cup games.

I don't understand why they don't do a 15 quid adult ticket then 5 quid for kids would see ground much more full etc for early League Cup & FA Cup games.

Greedy bugger.

I don't understand why they don't do a 15 quid adult ticket then 5 quid for kids would see ground much more full etc for early League Cup & FA Cup games.

Tenner for adults in the lower bowl and a fiver in L7 would see it at 45k+ probably, plus increased sales from food/programmes/merchandise etc. Thankfully it seems to have clicked this season that having a full SJP is vital.

Guest Phil K

Greedy bugger.

If I remember rightly, the lowest we got in europe was still high twenties, maybe even 30,000

And still higher than many of Liverpools europe attendances when not in C.L. under Roy Evans or Souness (if wrong I stand corrected, but 12,000 v. Dundalk mid-80s)

Yeap you're correct.

The reason they were low was because ST holders had to buy all 3 group games in a block and Shepherd jacked up the prices to try and cash in.

I think that was for th previous CL Campaign when we played Barca.

I agree about our European attendances which have been shocking including some sub 30K attendances and i hope all of those singing about Italy actually bother their arse to show up when we're playing some shit from Slovakia in the europa league on a cold night in November.

Greedy bugger.

If I remember rightly, the lowest we got in europe was still high twenties, maybe even 30,000

And still higher than many of Liverpools europe attendances when not in C.L. under Roy Evans or Souness (if wrong I stand corrected, but 12,000 v. Dundalk mid-80s)

Defo approx 26K against Herenveen in 2005 and only 30K against fenerbahce who had 3500 fans themselves. Our european attendances have been atrocious.

EDIT Just checked, 26K v Henerveen who brought about 1500 over and 25K against Celta Vigo who brought nish but couldn't be considered as being not a well known name at the time.

We only had 28K against Alkamaar in the last 16 as well and they brought about 2K over themselves.

To be fair, one thing Ashley has normally been spot on with throughout is ticketing and ticket prices. I'd imagine there'll be some sort of offer, if we do get to Europe, to get a decent number through the door.

I never had the chance to go to our previous European games, but I would love the chance to now.

I don't see how people couldn't be arsed about it, these days its an extremely rare opportunity watching the lads test themselves against decent European opposition, on after people finish work and cheapish tickets. What's not to love?

It's difficult for people who don't live in the area to go for midweek games. Some will, but many will have to pick and choose

I live in the area and admit i don't like mid week home games as they're a pain after being at work all day etc but for us to drop 20K off our normal league gate for a competition that we've strived all year the year before to enter is bit much.

We don't drop 20K for mid week league games.

It's difficult for people who don't live in the area to go for midweek games. Some will, but many will have to pick and choose

I live in the area and admit i don't like mid week home games as they're a pain after being at work all day etc but for us to drop 20K off our normal league gate for a competition that we've strived all year the year before to enter is bit much.

i like midweek games, makes the working week and day fly over.

Guest neesy111

i like midweek games, makes the working week and day fly over.

Now the fact I do a 9 - 5 job then it's fine now, but someone like my dad who was on shift patterns then it was a nightmare at times for him.

Makes something to do in the middle of the week.

That's because of the season ticket holders.  When everyone has to buy tickets for cup games, people are more selective.