Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye has told Lille's Belgian forward Eden Hazard, 21, to choose Arsenal over Tottenham.

Full story: Daily Mirror

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Eden-Hazard-told-to-join-Spurs-then-told-to-join-Arsenal-article891825.html

Read this earlier .. obviously quotes taken from some sort of interview in France. You would have to say that maybe Cabayes head would be turned if Arsenal were to make an offer for him?

Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye has told Lille's Belgian forward Eden Hazard, 21, to choose Arsenal over Tottenham.

Full story: Daily Mirror

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Eden-Hazard-told-to-join-Spurs-then-told-to-join-Arsenal-article891825.html

Read this earlier .. obviously quotes taken from some sort of interview in France. You would have to say that maybe Cabayes head would be turned if Arsenal were to make an offer for him?

In almost all cases, a player's head would be turned if Arsenal were in for them. I don't think a recommendation from Cabaye indicates much.

He has no doubt been asked a direct question about two clubs who have been strongly linked and given his opinion which would be better :lol:

Yup:

""Tottenham or Arsenal? I recommend Arsenal. Spurs is a good club now but it's not clear who will be coach next season."

You can't base Yohan's own ambitions on stuff like that. We've had signings in the past say in interviews that an international team-mate recommended Newcastle, haven't we? Doesn't mean they'd be ready to join us if given the cahnce.

Obviously if we had ambitions and a chance of getting Hazard ourselves I'd be fucking pissed at quotes like that. :lol:

'THIS is where the two sides are very different. In Cheik Tiote and Yohan Cabaye, we have ­midfielders who are essentially holding players, two of the Premier League’s best in my opinion.' - From a John Carver interview this morning.

Very interesting comment, don't think he's a holding player myself but shows what they think of him.

'THIS is where the two sides are very different. In Cheik Tiote and Yohan Cabaye, we have ­midfielders who are essentially holding players, two of the Premier League’s best in my opinion.' - From a John Carver interview this morning.

Very interesting comment, don't think he's a holding player myself but shows what they think of him.

As I read the first sentence I automatically said to myself 'Cabaye isn't a holding midfield player', then was rather shocked to discover it was a Carver quote.

He plays there for France and has before, he can clearly play as a deeper midfielder in a 4-2-3-1, but tackling etc isn't the best side of his game, and he could be scoring more goals with a freer role. That said think he does a very good engine room role even when he's not playing high up the pitch.

Was surprised to see him described as a holding midfield myself, have never viewed him like that.

That said, you can't really describe him as an attacking midfielder either as he seem to play quite deep a lot of the time.

I think Saylor said (in a Sky Sports interview) that he played almost like an American football style quarterback, which is actually a pretty good analogy when I think about it.