Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Do people still think it was a great move to replace Nolan with Cabaye? Not saying either way here, just after opinions.

They're very different midfielders. Cabaye is obviously a better player and on paper a great replacement, but Nolan's direct approach would've suited Pardew's set-up more, and he's never really understood how to use Cabaye.

Do people still think it was a great move to replace Nolan with Cabaye? Not saying either way here, just after opinions.

Yes. Largely due to the changes in Strikers we have had. I think Nolan would have struggled to be as effective. I also think Cabaye is a better footballer, that being said there is an argument that Pardew would have been able to get more from Nolan.

I don't think Nolan would function in our current team really, he needs a target man to play off. I think Cabaye is a much better player but obviously he isn't performing either right now.

At the time i was worried we would lose a leader, the same as barton even tho he was a bit of a bell.  I never expected us to finish as high as 5th and thought maybe we had turned some sort of corner.

Guest neesy111

Really depends how the team are playing.  If it was a choice between the 2 for this season it'd be the new 2.0 slim Nolan.

Probably not in the long run, even after the 5th place finish, we'll just have to see what comes from the Cabaye cash.

Nolan suits the ambitions of the club, as does the likes of Ryan Taylor, Jonas Gutierrez and Joey Barton.

To be honest I could see the reasons for it at the time. We were replacing him with a technically better player. My biggest reservation at the time would be the effect on the dressing room. In hindsight he has had a couple of good seasons for West Ham albeit one of them in the Championship. He served us well and during the bad times last season I think he could have lifted us.

Have the same worries about Cabaye leaving, what effect will it have on the remaining Frenchies?

Guest neesy111

Not sure it's been mentioned but Arseblog (a rare actual good club blog) are claiming Arsenal made the bid on Friday.

So he undermined Arsenal's game with the bid actually?  [/pardewlogic]

I don't think Nolan would function in our current team really, he needs a target man to play off. I think Cabaye is a much better player but obviously he isn't performing either right now.

Our team doesn't function at all.

Guest firetotheworks

I genuinely think that Pardew was more a replacement for Nolan than Cabaye. I don't think we lost a better player, but we lost a player with balls. Pardew doesn't have balls and Cabaye doesn't have the same galvanising character as Nolan does. That's how I see it anyway.

Whilst Nolan had some good attributes, was a great leader and one of the biggest goal threats we have had in recent years I was often frustrated with feeling we were over ran and over exposed in midfield with him not having much of an engine and pushing forward so much.  The irony of this now looking back was that even though back then it felt that Tiote was being left with so much to do, we also so the best of him with that partnership.

I don’t have any doubt that Cabaye has the attributes to be a top player at a good club but given our set up, tactics and clueless manager we probably would have been better off with what Nolan could bring to the team

The idea of a 4-4-2 with Tiote/Siss at the heart of it with Jonas on the f***ing left, for the foreseeable future, actually makes me want to shed a tear.

It's disgusting. Neither are very good at passing.

Whatever you think of the actual players, it's just not a system that gets the best out of anyone. If Pardew really believes that we just need to add another central striker to score more goals he is doomed, as much as it pains me to say!

Whilst Nolan had some good attributes, was a great leader and one of the biggest goal threats we have had in recent years I was often frustrated with feeling we were over ran and over exposed in midfield with him not having much of an engine and pushing forward so much.  The irony of this now looking back was that even though back then it felt that Tiote was being left with so much to do, we also so the best of him with that partnership.

I don’t have any doubt that Cabaye has the attributes to be a top player at a good club but given our set up, tactics and clueless manager we probably would have been better off with what Nolan could bring to the team

Pretty much this. We peaked with mediocrity.

Even the first sentence is just regurgitated s***. Sick of reading this heart of a pea nonsense, especially when Samir Nasri is tearing us to f***ing shreds 12 hours earlier.

That side is full of mercenary c***s who genuinely look like they would die for the shirt, probably because they don't feel like their careers are being p*ssed away.

The end of last season proved that The City players have hearts the size of peas. However now they've got a new brilliant manager with a positive outlook and they're revitalised.

You may be right but we are only one game into the season and its far too early to judge. The sheer talent in their squad is mind boggling and they quite clearly have the weapons to win the league convincingly. But playing a side like us at home on a warm August night is certainly not a test of their heart. 

The idea of a 4-4-2 with Tiote/Siss at the heart of it with Jonas on the f***ing left, for the foreseeable future, actually makes me want to shed a tear.

Whatever you think of the actual players, it's just not a system that gets the best out of anyone. If Pardew really believes that we just need to add another central striker to score more goals he is doomed, as much as it pains me to say!

I think Gomis would help link the midfield to the strikers.

Even the first sentence is just regurgitated s***. Sick of reading this heart of a pea nonsense, especially when Samir Nasri is tearing us to f***ing shreds 12 hours earlier.

That side is full of mercenary c***s who genuinely look like they would die for the shirt, probably because they don't feel like their careers are being p*ssed away.

The end of last season proved that The City players have hearts the size of peas. However now they've got a new brilliant manager with a positive outlook and they're revitalised.

You may be right but we are only one game into the season and its far too early to judge. The sheer talent in their squad is mind boggling and they quite clearly have the weapons to win the league convincingly. But playing a side like us at home on a warm August night is certainly not a test of their heart. 

They may have an insane amount of talent in their squad but last season showed that when the manager loses the dressing room players lose all motivation. They strolled through an FA Cup final without giving a fuck about winning it. Pardew clearly lost the players a long time ago and there's no way for him to win them back now. He's got to go.

Yes but coming off the back of last season what has changed? We have one new player! Aside from that it's the same manager, same players, same result and same performance.

Why does it pain you to say it? You know and have admitted that Pardew isn't really good enough and is mainly to blame for our predicament,  so for it to pain you to say it must mean that you like him making us shit?

I think Gomis would help link the midfield to the strikers.

Possibly, I still don't think we have the personnel for a flat midfield 4 though.