Neil Taylor signs new four-year contract with Swansea

Guest sicko2ndbest

Yes I do, you're posts ridiculous, that's my point.  I mean you seriously think this is as simple as "Oh we can't possibly match a offer of £13k a week, so we'll have to pull out of the deal"?

Why do you think we pulled out then? Enlighten me.

We pulled out because our offer was rejected and the deal became much more convoluted then we thought it would be.  The player kept moaning and turned to a tribunral (the player NOT us) so his club give him a raise to shut him up.  After all IF the tribunral decide the clause stands as the player sees it any other club could then come in and make a £1m offer.  Obviously £13k a week isn't the kind of wage that scares a club like ours, the suggest otherwise is pretty silly, what do you think we're paying the likes of Marvueax or Ba, or Cabaye?

At the end of the day we obviously didn't rate Taylor that highly.

We pulled out because our offer was rejected and the deal became much more convoluted then we thought it would be.  The player kept moaning and turned to a tribunral (the player NOT us) so his club give him a raise to shut him up.  After all IF the tribunral decide the clause stands as the player sees it any other club could then come in and make a £1m offer.  I mean honestly, in what world is it realistic that we are scared off by a £13k a week wage, what do you think we're paying the likes of Marvueax or Ba, or Cabaye?

That was the reason you were calling my post ridiculous? Honestly? You haven't even said that much different. The player went to the tribunal because he wanted to come here. IF the clause had stood and other clubs had come in for him good luck to them. In reality he would have joined us as that was the reason he was going to the tribunal in the first place.

How I read it is that once there was a chance the deal might cost more than £1m and plus the 13k a week which Swansea were prepared to offer we pulled out. We were blown out of the water by plucky little Swansea. You might see it differently but you haven't given me reason to think otherwise.

The worth of the club is being put into question because we failed to sign Neil Taylor?

If everything went to plan and Swansea actually let him go for his release clause in June, he'd just be another name in the pile of freebies and loopholes Ashley has signed to "string the fans along"

The worth of the club is being put into question because we failed to sign Neil Taylor?

If everything went to plan and Swansea actually let him go for his release clause in June, he'd just be another name in the pile of freebies and loopholes Ashley has signed to "string the fans along"

It was the club's decision to pursue him not ours as fans so let's be clear on that. Either he's a good prospect or he isn't. If he's not all that, then you would have to question why bother in the first place? Swansea who must know him a lot better than we do thought enough of him to fight to keep him. What does that suggest to you?

It was the club's decision to pursue him not ours as fans so let's be clear on that. Either he's a good prospect or he isn't. If he's not all that, then you would have to question why bother in the first place? Swansea who must know him a lot better than we do thought enough of him to fight to keep him. What does that suggest to you?

So if we decide to go after a player that proves that he's good? I have to admit I didn't expect this new-found faith in the current regime from you O0

As for the second part, it suggests absolutely nothing.

If we can get Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Ba, Marveaux etc to sign contracts I'm pretty sure we could afford to attract Neil Taylor.

What an utterly ludicrous suggestion ffs! :lol:

We saw a potential bargain, turns out he wasn't as cheap as expected so we decided not to pursue it/the player wasn't worth the new price.

See it's pretty simple without having to make up ridiculous scenarios :lol:

Tron

My view of this is quite different to yours, which should be obvious by reading my post.  But outside of my differing view of the situation the main problem I have with your posts is the sensationalism.  At the end of the day we obviously didn't rate him that highly.  We wanted the lad as a cheap backup player, otherwise we'd have stuck in there, matched whatever Swansea offered and waited on the tribunral.  You're talking about it as if we desperately wanted him but simply couldn't do it financially, which is very clearly rubbish.

If we can get Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Ba, Marveaux etc to sign contracts I'm pretty sure we could afford to attract Neil Taylor.

We saw a potential bargain, turns out he wasn't as cheap as expected so we decided not to pursue it/the player wasn't worth the new price.

Exactly :thup:

Tron

My view of this is quite different to yours, which should be obvious by reading my post.  Outside of my differing view of the situation the main problem I have with your posts is the sensationalism.  At the end of the day we obviously didn't rate him that highly, otherwise we'd have stuck in there, matched whatever Swansea offered and waited on the tribunral.  You're talking about it as if we desperately wanted him but simply couldn't do it financially, which is quite ridiculous.

It really isn't. We obviously have a fairly tight transfer budget which is why are going for frees and release clauses for the most part, none of which I have a problem with btw if the players coming in are good enough. If I'm being optimistic I would hope that we have decided to not sign Taylor as the money we would spend might now be better spent on someone like M'Bengue instead. It still begs the question why we were in for him in the first place because we do need a back up left back, whether Enrique leaves or M'Bengue arrives. 

Agree once again. Crazy. :lol:

Tron

My view of this is quite different to yours, which should be obvious by reading my post.  Outside of my differing view of the situation the main problem I have with your posts is the sensationalism.  At the end of the day we obviously didn't rate him that highly, otherwise we'd have stuck in there, matched whatever Swansea offered and waited on the tribunral.  You're talking about it as if we desperately wanted him but simply couldn't do it financially, which is quite ridiculous.

It really isn't. We obviously have a fairly tight transfer budget which is why are going for frees and release clauses for the most part, none of which I have a problem with btw if the players coming in are good enough. If I'm being optimistic I would hope that we have decided to not sign Taylor as the money we would spend might now be better spent on someone like M'Bengue instead. It still begs the question why we were in for him in the first place because we do need a back up left back, whether Enrique leaves or M'Bengue arrives.  

We clearly didn't desperately want Taylor and could have easily matched Swansea's wage offer within our wage structure.

This is really a pretty simple situation being made into far more than it is IMO.  We saw a bargain that we thought we could get in easily through a release clause.  It turned out the player would cost more than we thought and require much more effort to sign.  We decided that at that price ect he wasn't worth signing.  Twisting that into not being able to compete with Swansea is pure sensationalism.

The question of wether we should have been interested in the first place or wether we actually needed him is a different discussion and certainly worth discussing.  Though I'm not interested personally, which I suppose says it all for how much I believe we needed Neil Taylor :)

I would say the left back area is one of my few major concerns this season. It might be we bring in another left back if we can sell Enrique and leave ourselves enough time to get a replacement. Or Enrique might hang around for the final year and we'll make do with Ferguson as back up. The idea it might be left to clubs playing brinkmanship in the last few days of the transfer window is what concerns me.

• 1 year later...

The more I see of him, especially with Team GB, the better he looks. Didn't expect him to be so versatile (played RB a few times) but he'd have been another bargain buy if we'd managed to pick him up.

Would still take him, Debuchy or not.

The more I see of him, especially with Team GB, the better he looks. Didn't expect him to be so versatile (played RB a few times) but he'd have been another bargain buy if we'd managed to pick him up.

Would still take him, Debuchy or not.

Would cost waaaaay more than what we weren't prepped to pay last season now. Retrospectively we missed out big time, always looked canny for Swansea and is young enough to keep improving.

Totally agree although he's never a RB.

Everyone was taking the piss when we were trying to get him last season, now I can see why we were, been great for GB and had a decent first season in the prem. We may have missed out but our team saw this player before all this and it bodes well for any new arrival, especially ones not fully developed.

If we'd got him we probably wouldn't have got Santon; swings and roundabouts.

This, besides with Santon and if we get Debuchy i wont be bothered at all. Clearly a very good fullback but we would have two fantastic fullbacks ourselves so not something to get worked up about.