Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Fair do's to Pardew for telling people straight up. Respect for admitting the motivational ploy that clearly didn't get the effect he wanted. Should he have admitted that bit, though? :dontknow: Either way, Ba had a hissyfit. Not the most savoury of moments, but I'm sure they'll get over it, so should we. :thup:

Read through this thread and the selfish stuff irritates me. Is the only basis that he was a striker who was scoring shitloads, who's finally had a couple of bad games after busting his ass for the team for a fair while without being that main focus? If it does come to fruition then so be it, but just seems a ridiculous jump just because someone's had a couple of bad games for the first time in a while.

He looked sluggish as hell today. Fatigue and confidence are both probably playing their part. If the lack of goals are starting to prey on his mind, then he's not going to keep himself properly focussed to be busting his ass like he has done admirably so far. Hope this break will be a good time for him to come back to somewhere close to the level he was pre-ACoN.

Spot on.

He's just going through a rough patch. We've depended on him for most of the season (remember the work he put in right up to his last kick in the Man U game?) then he's had ACON. He needs a rest and hopefully this little spell will result in him coming back as good as ever.

looked low on confidence today. those touches that earlier on in the season were sublime became looser and he looked half a yard slower. forwardf going through a spell of poor confidence, no biggy while it isn't having a detrimental effect on the team. he has the talent to bring it round, the break should do him good.

Agree re confidence and touch. When Colocinni played him and he was (Wrongly) flagged offside the ball just pinged off him whereas earlier in the season it would have stuck and been despatched into the top corner before the keeper had a chance to move.

He looked as laboured as he did in those early ramadan games where i (and others) thought we'd signed a dud.

I think he's looked sluggish the last three games on top of the non scoring run - it's clearly affecting him. In fact you can go back to the pen miss / ACN as the start of his woes. Without looking up the stats I wonder if a full season in the PL is starting to tell. Even if he played that number of games in Germany I doubt they were with the same intensity, Just hope the 12 days rest does him good and that something easy drops his way against Stoke. Personally think he's suited to 433 in the centre or on the left.

Ba 'will come out fighting'

Newcastle manager backs striker to return to form

Last Updated: April 10, 2012 2:37pm

Alan Pardew has admitted being happy with Demba Ba's angry reaction to being substituted during the victory over Bolton.

The striker, who has not netted in nine games, refused to shake the Newcastle manager's hand after being withdrawn in the 64th minute.

But Pardew says he was heartened by the Senegal international's frustration at being replaced.

"Demba was upset when I brought him off," Pardew told the Shields Gazette.

"I was trying to get a reaction from him, if I'm honest. I want him to be angry and fight. He'll come out fighting. I know Demba, and I've got no worries about him."

Newcastle face Stoke City at St James' Park on 21st April and Pardew is backing his striker to end his barren run against the side that pulled out of a deal to sign him last year.

"It wasn't Demba's day, but it might be in two weeks' time," he continued.

"Ba, Shola[Ameobi], Papiss [Cisse] and Hatem[ben Arfa] all have massive roles to play for us between now and the end of the season."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/7663406/?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=twitter

I think he's acting a bit like a spoilt kid atm.

It's sort of like he's been friends with a kid for ages and introduces him to everyone else, who then think he's cooler. So then he ends up being forgotten about and goes in a strop.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/6902144780_900043bfe8_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7258/6902145108_3f07572cce_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/7048239439_e40a94cb04_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7233/7048240301_6f139d92d1_z.jpg

I read somewhere that it is not uncommon for a lot of players who go to the ACon to struggle on their return.  Once they have adjusted to the playing conditions of the tournament, they then find it difficult to adapt back to the intensity of league football.

Could be a reason although Cisse's form contradicts the above.

Yeah, Demba was in Paris today for that show. Still.

anyone heard any snippets from the show yet?  has he revealed anything interesting like he's moved onto blueberry syrup now?

Mimifrench translated the main points in the HBA thread.

He's just out of form and frustrated.  The moment that stood out for me today was when the ball was played through to him in the middle, he took a bad touch and it bounced up off his knee and out of play.  Before the new year he would have controlled that and rifled it into the bottom corner with his left foot.  He'll get it back and the smiles will return but for now i'd rather have a striker who is pissed off and frustrated that he's playing shit than one who plays shit and doesn't give a crap.

Spot on.

He's just down in the dumps at the moment. Things aren't coming off for him. It's a striker's cliché but he probably needs one to go in off his arse or something.

Exactly. He desperately needs a goal right now, more for his own state of mind than anyone else's and when he gets it all this crap will be over. Pardew has handled it brilliantly so far which is encouraging.

He's still the main reason we are in this position. Happy to give him as much time as he needs to get back to form. Been an emotional season for him.

He really isn't the main reason, like. But a lot of his goals were useful.

He's still the main reason we are in this position. Happy to give him as much time as he needs to get back to form. Been an emotional season for him.

Who else was scoring while he was? At one point wasn't the next top scorer Ryan Taylor?

Agree with that, but the spoilt kid act he is portraying atm ( not saying is but its what it looks like) is what is annoying me.

Just get on with it and help the team win games and the goals will come, i realise hes frustrated atm and probably lacking confidence but i think he could have done more in recent weeks to help the team.

Will not ignore what he did for half of the season tho, because without him we would have been mid table and nowhere near where we are now.

Who else was scoring while he was? At one point wasn't the next top scorer Ryan Taylor?

our defence was magnificent in that early part of the season too, equally as important tbh

our defence was magnificent in that early part of the season too, equally as important tbh

it's a team game, ba received passes for most of his goals which he finished well. what we achieve we achieve as a team.

Not sure where people are getting the spoilt kid thing from.

Everytime a TV camera and microphone has been in his face he's always been honest and said it doesn't matter if he scores or not as long as the he and the team play well. Said it before, but he looks gassed and probably more p*ssed off with himself as he ain't scored in a while. Sounds a little immature but it probably means so much to the guy. If you get taken off you must know either you haven't done well or you just won't last.

As a striker it must be canny s*** to go on a barren run like, especially after you smashed 16 in earlier

Everytime a TV camera and microphone has been in his face he's always been honest and said it doesn't matter if he scores or not as long as the he and the team play well. Said it before, but he looks gassed and probably more p*ssed off with himself as he ain't scored in a while. Sounds a little immature but it probably means so much to the guy. If you get taken off you must know either you haven't done well or you just won't last.

As a striker it must be canny s*** to go on a barren run like, especially after you smashed 16 in earlier

Neither can I. I can only guess that people on here are horrendous fucking drama queens.

Neither can I. I can only guess that people on here are horrendous f***ing drama queens.

don't you remember the reading of enriques body language ?  :frantic:

Isn't it because he refused to shake hands with the manager because he substituted him?

did he, i saw him drinking from a bottle, don't think pardew offered a hand but gave him a pat. far too much being read into some stuff on here.